• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don't blame you for liking this game.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    A "Games you don't enjoy as much as everyone does, and games you enjoy a lot more than everyone does" topic.

As gamers, we do have our opinions about certain games that we play.

Note: This is a topic about anything other than Pokemon. So no listing any Pokemon games on the list (even the spin-offs.)

Anyways! Let's begin with Games I hate that everyone likes don't enjoy as much as people do.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - (For those of you who don't know, it's my least favorite Zelda game aside from all CD-i games such as Faces of Evil, Wand of Gamelon, and Zelda's Adventure.) For some reason, I couldn't get into that game.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Yep, another game I just can't get into.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - Same as Twilight Princess and Dissidia.

And Games I like that everyone hates. (Pretty much the games people don't enjoy as much as I do.)

Luigi's Mansion - Obvious choice. Well it's a Mario spin-off. What do YOU expect. >_>

Legend of Zelda II: The Adventures of Link - As much as it's inferior to Link to the Past, Skyward Sword, and ESPECIALLY Ocarina of Time (My most favorite Zelda Game,) it's actually a good game.

Metroid II: The Return of Samus - THIS is the ONLY Metroid game that I have owned, played, and enjoyed.

Kirby Air Ride - IMHO, This game is actually a good game.

Sonic Heroes - After this game IMO, the Sonic franchise went downhill (Looking at you, Sonic and the Black Knight.) Another good Sonic game where you're allowed to control 3 of your characters on a team.

Anyways, DISCUSS!

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • I kind of tend do disagree with you about a few of those choices. Firstly, Twilight Princess wasn't that great, and a lot of people will agree with you. Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon was also one of the worst of the series, because it lacked good character development, and there wasn't anything that 'revolutionary' about it.

Back on topic, though, I tend to like a lot of licensed games, pretty much just based off anime and comics. This might just be cause of my addiction to original story at the time, but I dunno, I just find it so much fun to relive my favourite animes on a video game.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Twilight princess was a pretty good game imo. :<
    The GameCube one anyways. Not the Wii Waggle one.

I'm really not that opposed to trying out any game (granted they aren't some Barbie-Dora the explorer alphabet learning fest), but as I am with most things, if it recieves enough hype I tend to shy away from it, mainly because when people talk my ear off about it I get sick of it. The series i'm talking about is the Call of Duty series.
    I've played it and enjoyed it before, but I mean come on, it's a war game. There's plenty of them out there, not to mention Call of Duty isn't really doing anything new with their series.

I also have a weird dislike for medieval games. I can't stand those ol' time-y "doth where hath thine goneth too" RPG games.
    Again, i'm not so opposed to trying one, but they can't hold my attention for very long. I'm mainly referring to stuff like the Elder Scrolls series, but I've actually recently been getting into it.

As for games I like that everyone else hates:
    It seems like no one really cared much for the .hack/.hack GU series, which I LOVED. D:
    I also wish Monster Hunter was more popular here in America, but a lot of people play it and think it's too hard. It just has a steep learning curve though.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Twilight Princess was good. The game design and gameplay was strong except for the boss fights which were ridiculously easy. Probably the best dungeons in the entire serious. They are simply massive and take forever; which I enjoy a lot. But, the story had some lulls and odd pacing at times.

And I like Luigi's Mansion. I try to play it every year around Halloween. Looking forward to the 3DS sequel.

Anyway, my "guilty pleasure" kind of game would be.. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. I return to this game every once in a while. idk. It's just fun, despite a buggy camera and weird AI. Particularly the jungle level.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I've never been a fan of First-Person Shooters, even as far back as when my dad had Doom on the family PC when I was a kid. I could never get the hang of it. How it's become the most popular genre in the market today is beyond me. XD

Since Twilight Princess is being mentioned a lot in this thread, I'll admit to loving it more than Ocarina of Time. It's much more expansive and much more vibrant than OoT ever was. I'll agree with TF89 though that the story lulled quite a bit, especially during the "Ilia's memor" subplot.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Don't shoot me, but I'm glad that Twilight Princess gets some pro here. It's not just because it's the first massive Zelda game I played (Minish Cap was the first one, 2 years earlier), but I just toroughly enjoyed and still enjoy Twilight Princess. Not everything is perfect, but most of my favourite bosses and dungeons are from Twilight Princess.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon was a huge disappointment. Nothing in the first part of the game actually urged me to play on, unlike the other Fire Emblem games I played. I just hope that Fire Emblem 3DS: Awakening will manage to tilt the story to a higher, more interesting level. The graphics look promising, but...I prefer a good story over graphics.

Like Timbjerr I never understood why people enjoy first person shooter games. It's just not my cup of tea.
    Nor do I like any of the soft-core games that seem to take up most space on the gaming shelf these days. I don't wanna take care of this or that. D:<
    Gimme a good, well thought-out puzzle rpg. :'D

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    I don't care what anyone says; Sonic Unleashed was a fantastic game.
    ...Also, I can't really get into Kingdom Hearts. =\

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've recently grown fond of Sonic, I love the characters. As for Fire Emblem & Kingdom Of Hearts even though they have had high reception I've never gave them a try, I've seen reviews in magazines but they don't really appeal to me.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • I totally take back what I said. I just spent a good 2 hours playing through Twilight Princess again, for like the billionth time. I totally do love this game, how could I forget?

Also, another game kinda like this is Final Fantasy XIII. I mean, the combat was cool, sure, some of the characters were awful, but still a fully fleshed out awesome RPG nonetheless.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Love Twilight Princess. Could never hate that game, honestly. I can't get into shooters very much. Bioshock is okay, but I mean, you can burn stuff in that game. BURN STUFF! So I'm ignoring the gun in favor of burning faces!

Games I like that no one else likes...well I've never met another fan of Rugrats Scavenger Hunt haha. In fact, I think it's listed on some worst N64 games of all time lists. Maybe it's just nostalgic for me, because it was my second N64 game. I also agree with Kirby Air Ride. It's honestly the best racing game I've played. There's a ton of karts (or well, stars) to pick from to ride, each one being very unique, the music is amazing and the courses are gorgeous. I just wish there were more Air Ride courses, and I've never cared for the Top Ride. City Trial was awesome, even though I was always playing alone. This game needs a sequel. I'd definitely buy it.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Love Twilight Princess. Could never hate that game, honestly. I can't get into shooters very much. Bioshock is okay, but I mean, you can burn stuff in that game. BURN STUFF! So I'm ignoring the gun in favor of burning faces!

Games I like that no one else likes...well I've never met another fan of Rugrats Scavenger Hunt haha. In fact, I think it's listed on some worst N64 games of all time lists. Maybe it's just nostalgic for me, because it was my second N64 game. I also agree with Kirby Air Ride. It's honestly the best racing game I've played. There's a ton of karts (or well, stars) to pick from to ride, each one being very unique, the music is amazing and the courses are gorgeous. I just wish there were more Air Ride courses, and I've never cared for the Top Ride. City Trial was awesome, even though I was always playing alone. This game needs a sequel. I'd definitely buy it.

Dude.
    Kirby Air Ride is my junk. Jam? Is my... game?
    That game was awesome! Me and my cousin would sit there for hours playing multi-player, nuking each other from all over the map.

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot it was on FlameChocobo's list. Well... irregardless, I agree with the both of ye's!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Agreeing with Kirby Air Ride too. I guess it's not a game that everyone hates then...?

I really enjoy most casual games but I try not to tell people because hardcore gamers can tend to get like...seriously upset at people who like casual games for some reason. My guess is it's because then the developers make more games for people like me haha. Stuff like Cooking Mama, Animal Crossing, etc.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Games I don't like as much as others:

Kingdom Hearts II:

This wasn't as good as one first one was despite many people disagreeing with me. The original Kingdom Hearts was magical and brought two different worlds together with a simple story of a young boy with a special sword trying to defeat a bunch of villains we all knew from our childhood. Kingdom Hearts II seemed like it started to distance itself from all of this and tried to force a deep plot down your throat and it was just no longer the same game. Not to mention the Keyblade wasn't so special anymore once everyone started using one, by the time they gave Kairi a Keyblade I began to think Chip and Dale were also going to be given one.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy:

I don't know what FlameChocobo's reasons are but I just didn't like the idea of this game. The only time Final Fantasy characters should crossover like this is if they're in a gimmick game, their name is Gilgamesh or the game is set in Ivalice.

Breath of Fire IV:

Although a lot of fans thought this one was the best version I had to disagree even though it's the first one with an actual plot. The dragon transformations weren't as prominent in this game, in fact Ryu can't even use his dragon abilities until the end of the first disc. Even then he only has that one transformation for a long time, although he gets dragon attacks it still doesn't make up for it. In fact almost all his dragon related spells are like the things you go and collect at the end of the game. I always considered each game's dragon spells to be a unique part of the game. Also the monsters have too much evasion.

Final Fantasy VIII:

I never liked this game, no that's not true I actually quite enjoyed the card game. But the rest was terrible. I couldn't possibly play a RPG that punished you so much for killing monsters during random encounters. I didn't figure out all the stuff yet when I first played it and fighting Raijin and Fujin were practically impossible since Raijin would kill my characters in one hit. If not for some bizarre reason why he doesn't attack Quistis I would have just given up on the game right there, of course I did give up on the game and didn't come back to finish it until I finished FFXII. Also the whole Squall and Rinoa thing was totally stupid, I felt like I must have fell asleep at one point since they go from hating each other to madly in love so quickly you could probably miss it happening if you blinked at the wrong time.

The latest FPS game:

I guess we're currently in the FPS era of games, which I'm not a big fan of. I only play FPS games at my friends' houses and I never see the big deal whenever a new one comes out. In fact I don't even see how people can justify their reasons for buying the latest game when it's pretty much the same as whatever that other one was.

Now onto games I like but everyone thinks is terrible:

Final Fantasy; 4 Heroes of Light:

I don't know why people didn't like this or how some people could claim it to not be like Final Fantasy. Hello, young Light Hero gets called by the King to save his daughter the princess in the game's opening. Four Heroes of light sounds a lot like the Four Warriors of Light, who were also restoring the light of the crystals. Did I also mention the picture book artwork? This game was pretty much like watching Toy Story 3, I didn't get a such a feeling of nostalgia from a game I haven't played since I picked up Final Fantasy IX. This should have been titled FFXIII even if it wasn't on a main console and FFXIII can be FFXIV and we'll just pretend that terrible MMO never existed.

Crash Bandicoot Twinsanity:

I know a lot of people would agree that the Crash Bandicoot games got bad when they moved to the PS2 and I agree with that is well but I did enjoy Twinsanity. Of course I could never enjoy it as much as the old games unless you made me play Sunset Vista, however it was a nice touch to the series. The thing that could have been better is if they had an easier way to backtrack to previous areas. At least Crash isn't punching the enemies and tanking hits with a health bar.

Aladdin for the SNES:

For those that don't know, Disney's Aladdin had a noticeable difference when it was released for the SNES and the Sega something. In the Sega version, Aladdin has a sword, while the SNES version he has to jump on enemies. Now I much preferred the Aladdin with the acrobatic skills and the on who fights like a street rat rather than the one who fights like a palace guard. Sure a sword is cool but that's not what Aladdin does, he's a street rat not a bandit, he doesn't have any need for a sword. Like the title says I don't blame you for liking the game with the sword but I prefer jumping Aladdin.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • And Games I like that everyone hates. (Pretty much the games people don't enjoy as much as I do.)

Luigi's Mansion - Obvious choice. Well it's a Mario spin-off. What do YOU expect. >_>

Here's something... Why do a lot of people hate this lovely little gem? Sure, it's a ripoff of Ghostbusters, but I think it succeeded very well as a game.

Anyways, I half agree on Twilight Princess. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. Replayed it several times. It's just...idk. Don't shoot me for saying this, but it doesn't feel like a Zelda game. Skyward Sword is the same for me... Maybe they lack the magic the other games have (to me). Idk. Still, they are great games. Just not great Zelda games (there is a huge difference).

On to first person shooters... I love Goldeneye, the first person shooter parts of Banjo-Tooie (Goldeneye with Banjo-Kazooie characters? Oh hell yeah!), and the Halo series. Other than that, I think the Call of Duty games are serving the same old crap on a new platter (Although the same COULD be said for the 3D Zelda games. Just saying).

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • Call of Duty. My friends like it, have tried to get me to play it. Got tired of it. Same goes for a lot of other war games out there. With a few exceptions, I've never early cared for them. I also was never able to get into Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Now for games that I like but everyone else hates!

Sonic Heroes- Truthfully, I think the only bad version was the PS2 version, with its botched frame rate and glitches. The Gamecube version on the other hand plays smoothly and the levels in the game feel a bit like Genesis levels. The Sonic series really didn't take a downturn until Shadow the Hedgehog was released.

Sonic Unleashed- Sure I hated the medal collecting. Alright, I despised the medal collecting, and the Werehog stages were ranged from "ugh" to decent. However the daytime levels, plus all of the bosses, were great.This game also had a terrific soundtrack.

Megaman X7- I know for a fact that this is not one of the best Megaman games. But its not the worst either. (Megaman X6 exists for that reason) I thought the game was fun, thought the camera angles weren't really that bad, and it has one of my favorite final boss themes.

Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn version)- I had a chance to play this version and can say its miles better than the Genesis version. Better Special Stages, better final boss theme, and better control. I've heard that it controls even better when used with the 3D controller, but I have yet to try this.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    With the exception of Garrus, I thought Mass Effect 2 was mediocre in every way. Fallout 3 was also really boring, but maybe I'm the only one who doesn't want to play as an post-apocalyptic plumber. Super Mario 64 is pretty dated nowadays too, and the levels seem pretty bare.

With that said, I'm a real sucker for games that are otherwise shovelware. The Grinch, Tigger's Honey Hunt, Tarzan, and Rugrats In Paris for the PS1 are all favorites of mine despite being obvious cash-ins.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Another massive underdog game that I absolutely adored was Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. People bagged it out because it had a bit of backtracking, and because the combat was simplistic, but I totally disagree with all of this. There may have been backtracking, but it was totally worth it, as there was a beautiful environment pretty much everywhere you went, and even if you could hate that fact, there was secrets and other things that one benefited from backtracking, akin to Zelda. And the combat was totally not simplistic! With the constant learning of new spells for the Majin, and the fact that the Majin and Tepeu had totally different play styles, it was very entertaining. I was also pretty discontent with this games sale/popularity. It had so much potential, it was poorly released, as it was with the major releases that usually pop up towards the end of a year.

Years
  • You know, for me it is mainly recently released Nintendo games like Zelda, Mario or anything like that. They just don't have the charm for me anymore; the only exception to this was Mario Galaxy the first one.

Most people will put it down to me Nintendo bashing because I don't like them much anymore, but I just think they could have moved on those characters, or done something special then leave it for a bit, instead of having Mario Kart, Mario Olympics, Mario Tennis and so on.​

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • Games I hate that everyone seems to love:

FPS Games: I cannot get into them. I dunno if the style, or the fact I find them hard to play. I just really dislike them.

Traditional Style Mario games: I don't have a problem with Mario Party, or MarioKart - I enjoy them, in fact. But the side-scroller type ones in which you have to save Peach? Ugh. No thanks. I found them really boring.

Games I love that everyone seems to hate:

Shadow the Hedgehog: I actually really love it. It's fun, and a bit different, and I must've played it over dozens of times.

Crash Tag Team Racing: It seems to get a lot of hate, but I found it quite entertaining. There are some surprisingly funny jokes and the races and stunt challenges are really fun to play.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
    Years
  • I've never been a fan of First-Person Shooters, even as far back as when my dad had Doom on the family PC when I was a kid. I could never get the hang of it. How it's become the most popular genre in the market today is beyond me. XD

Since Twilight Princess is being mentioned a lot in this thread, I'll admit to loving it more than Ocarina of Time. It's much more expansive and much more vibrant than OoT ever was. I'll agree with TF89 though that the story lulled quite a bit, especially during the "Ilia's memor" subplot.

I'm not a big fan of First Person Shooters either. Funny, we also had Doom on our family pc when I was a kid. I didn't mind it too much back then, but I tried it on the 64 and hated it.

As for Twilight Princess, I won't say it's better than OoT (OoT is my favorite game of all time) As much as I loved playing through, I didn't really like the whole Wolf Link part of it.

Another game that I really enjoyed is Mischief Makers for N64. It wasn't overly complicated, but still lots of fun.

Back