• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I dont get Potions in gym battles.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    Just wanted to say that I dont understand why you and the gym leader can use potions in gym battles, berrys i understand the pokemon hold them. Watching pokemon the potion works by spraying it on the pokemon, so what the game is saying is that the gym leader sprays his pokemon, nah thats wrong. Non of the gym battles on the series have it, and its rather annoying.

Any clarification why you can use potions in gym matches even thought they're supposed to be pokemon vs pokemon not who has the most potions.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • What do you mean none of the gym leaders in the series used potions? Every gym leader in the series has had a stock of potions that they used just to annoy you. XD

momoa

Casual Pokefan
    Years
  • Making sure the gym leader's pokemon's health never gets in the red before you finish it off is a good way to prevent the leader from using his/her potions.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    in the series i ment the cartoon ;) and yeah I guess but it can be annoying yaknow I just dont think its fair no one should be allowed to use them makes it seem more real.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    The series is based off the game.....

therefore the games are more credible when compared to the anime. Potion use is normal.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Just so you know, the games are complete different to the anime, and should never be the same, or try to be the same, especially in terms of Potions. Also iirc, Erica from the first series offers Ash a Paralysis Heal to use on his Bulbasaur, so they can keep battling.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • In anime they don't use potions because gym leaders don't really care about healing their pokemon in the game sometimes they do but I don't really know why.

flamegod7

retsaM nomékoP
    Years
  • Yes, it does seem a bit weird to "spray" your Pokémon with a Potion to recover their HP. Assuming that HP is the Pokémon's stamina, it seems a little more logical for a pokemon to drink something like Fresh Water to recover its health instead of being sprayed by a magical, HP recovering canister.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Yes, it does seem a bit weird to "spray" your Pokémon with a Potion to recover their HP. Assuming that HP is the Pokémon's stamina, it seems a little more logical for a pokemon to drink something like Fresh Water to recover its health instead of being sprayed by a magical, HP recovering canister.
    Buy fresh water instead of a Super Potion then. :)
    The whole point of spraying the Pokemon with a potion canister, is that your Pokemon are most likely going to suffer from bruises and burns when battling, so they'll take some time to recover, like everything does. The potion is like some sort of remedy which you place on these scars so that the healing process is much faster, and is fit to battle again.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • 3 Gyms into best Wishes Anime not a single gym leader has used a "Spray" during the middle of the battle. So potions are not used during gym matches in Anime. Potions in anime I usually used on wild pokemon, or if the team is no where near a pokemon center.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at - whether you're discussing if it's morally wrong to use potions on Pokemon or whether you think they should use it in the anime. Either way, this applies to more than just B/W anyway!

I'll send this off to Pokemon General for now (since it covers games/anime at the moment) - if it ends up being based around just the games, then Doronjo can take care of it. :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2013
    I think that Gym Leaders have same rights when using potions/such because it's kinda like their job to test the players skills.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The Gym Leaders choose not to use Potions in battle so that it wouldn't be fair to anyone who doesn't have healing items.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • It is a cheap and frustrating trick. Once I beat a Pokemon, it is beaten. Restoring it just exposes their lack of self-confidence. It is sad that such idiots got to be gym leaders.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It is a cheap and frustrating trick. Once I beat a Pokemon, it is beaten. Restoring it just exposes their lack of self-confidence. It is sad that such idiots got to be gym leaders.

I saw a catchphrase on PC once, it went "Never criticize efficiency". If it helps them try to win the battle, it doesn't matter how "cheap" it is, you lost. Also, at least they have a limited amount to use, while you have the ability to endlessly stock up as long as you have money.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    I just find it very annoying were, yeah people will say that the anime is tottally different to the game, well I dissagree the leaders are the same so why should they use different tactics on me then what they do in the cartoon.

To be perfectly honest I have almost thrown my DS across the room the amount of times I have worked a gym leaders pokemon down to one more attack to beat it and BOOM full hp again.

I just think a gym battle is an offical pokemon battle like I said before (i think) not who has the best potions.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Video game mechanics don't translate well into a cartoon, and the inverse also applies. Trying to convey someone using a healing item in-battle in a cartoon would look dumb so they don't do it.

Gym Leader battles are supposed to be far more challenging than the average trainer battle and the (more frequent) use of in-battle items also reflects this. There's only so many ways you can make an AI opponent more challenging when they have to stick to a type-themed team, and even in-battle potions are down via an extremely predictable AI condition.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • In recent game, the gym leaders are usually limited to two uses of whatever potency potion they use, so it's not that big a deal. Just yesterday in my White version, Iris wasted both of hers on her Fraxure that I had toxic'd and was stalling out. XD

Back