• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don't really think Pokemon is a game for kids.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
Years
  • Hey, would you look at that? She just came into my room again asking how to get out of the first level of Chargestone Cave, which was, ah . . . not difficult, if I remember rightly.

It was for me...Lol. And it was so annoying with Pokemon popping up every few steps..So dont rage on her too hard for not being able to get out XD. Im an avid Pokemon-er and I had trouble...Did I mention..I hate caves? >_>. But yeah, just guide her a bit, and if all else fails, beat teh game and let her battle..Thats what I did with mah brother.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • All that's required to beat Chargestone Cave is a few Repels and a bit of running around in circles. You just need to be a little patient, which is something, I think, that very few kids are. RPGs tend to be a bit more complicated than your run-of-the-mill side-scroller platformer, even relatively simple ones like Pokemon.

Also I am biased because she called N 'weird' and doesn't understand how amazing he is. >:[

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I was 11 when Red/Blue came out stateside, so I was already a tad above the average age for first-time Pokemon players, but I still distinctly remember being stuck to the point of turning to the Internet for a hint at least twice. Once to get past the old man in Viridian City and once to get past the guards in Saffron City. It'd be perfectly understandable for someone younger than 11 to be stuck at more points in the game. It's just a matter of keeping that frustration from escalating to, "I don't wanna play anymore!!" Either ease her along as you've said you've been doing or introduce her to a website with a good walkthrough so she cane help herself whenever she needs it. :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • This brings me back to the time I started playing Pokemon Sapphire. I didn't know how to solve most of the gym puzzles, and only focused on 1 Pokemon to train. Thanks to me reading the Pokemon-related articles on Serebii and Smogon, I now understand the concept of training multiple Pokemon, EVs, IVs, breeding, etc. And I don't think Pokemon is just for kids because the more complicated aspects, like RNG abuse, have been done by the experienced players.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • When I started playing the games at age 9, I got frustrated when I couldn't find my way out of Viridian Forest lol. You just pick it up as you go along, she'll get the hang of it eventually.

Black and White are a lot easier than previous games though; they really hold your hand through this one. (Oh, a Normal-Type Gym Leader? And what a coincidence, a forest full of Fighting types right next door! Also, we'll let you go and fight the Flying-type Gym Leader, but only if you can make your way through this Electric cave first.)

Blaziken15

You gotta purty mouth!
    Years
  • In my mind, it's a learning procces. I started playing when I was 3 with the help of my brother. I got my own game at the age of 5 and knew what to do. If you teach her to do it right, she won't have any problems.

I've taught many people how to play, my younger brother, my two best friends, my nephew and even little kids I've never met.

To sum up, if you teach her what to do, she can do it right.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Pokemon is both for kids and adults.
    I was a really small kid when I played Silver and Red and I had hardly any problems in playing. I got skilled after a lot of New Games. ^^ It doesn't really depend on age, just about experience.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • There is no need for that...Thats just disrespectful. You should never call someone slow, and your reason is because they cant play a game? Like, seriously? Thats just sad bro. Some people arent good at video games, take my sisters for instance..They suck at Video games, and their in 6th grade..And one of my sisters has straight A's...You think shes slow too? And she cant play Pokemon to save her life, and ive tried teaching her countless times. Its just the way their brain works, so all in all its fine if a kid cant play Pokemon, they can always learn, or maybe it just isnt for them *shrugs*

EXCUSE ME????????

The only person being disrespectful here is you. And you are being VERY rude too*.

You chew somebody out for a stupid reason*, and then you pretend to be a better person or something like that*. Maybe she is slow, or maybe she just isn't good at RPGs. But don't pretend that everybody learns things at the same rate. Some people are naturally fast-learners, while others need a little more time and a little more guidance. And that's fine. But don't ignore it.

It's like the over-sensitive people (not talking to you, talking to the people who do it) who think they have to ignore the fact that some people have narrower eyes, or that their skin tone is different, or that they have a different accent, because it's "racist". There is a difference between racisim and simple facts. (Note: Getting off-topic here, but it's just an example. That means I don't think anybody here is racist, neither slow.)

Anyway, Misheard Whisper, that means that my brother is a a naturally fast learner or that you've just met people who maybe aren't ready for RPGs yet. I took me weeks to reach the Elite Four in Platinum, yet my little 7-year old brother had beat Candice on the day he got his Pearl. Without any help at all. Literally. I was in my basement that night, and he came to me from upstairs and said: "Hey, look which gym leader I beat!"
    And he was standing in front of Candice in her gym o_O

I can imagine getting my own 300 PMs saying "You hypocrite!"

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hi guys. Keep being disrespectful and off-topic and I'll be the rude boy here and lock this thread. It'd be a shame too! This is a good topic. So don't let it continue. If it happens again, those of you being disrespectful will be infracted.

This is your warning. Next time I won't be so light.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • When I was first starting out all those years ago, I relied heavily on strategy guides and... I still do to a certain extent. But I rely on them for pretty much EVERY game I play, if it has, like, a plot or a narrative or something. Have you tried showing your sister to GameFAQs or something similar, if you don't want to keep telling her what to do? There's always the worry that she'll just start using it for everything (like me! But I'm a baaaaad influence!), but it may help her - and leave you alone.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Someone misunderstood the post..

On topic, sort of. Some kids have no problems with this game, some kids do. I agree with the trial and error process. The more your sister plays, the more she'll get used to the game. ^^

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Hehe, personally I feel showing her to GameFAQs would raise more problems than it would solve, as she's even worse with computers than she is with RPGs . . . >_> She'd be coming to me every couple of hours asking how to open Internet Explorer instead.

But on the whole, it might be a good thing for inexperienced players - or perhaps everybody's favourite, Bulbapedia? I always used to use that if I got stuck, because it gave information without actually being a walkthrough.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    IMHO, pokemon is a game that can be enjoyed both kids (for pokemons sake) and adults (for IV/EV/Competitive) alike. Although they have different ways to enjoy the game, its all the same in the end.

BUT the problem comes when a kid wants to do a battle, and unfortunately he/she faces off with an adult (be it in wifi or wireless). I'm not saying that the kid will lose everytime but chances are, the kid's lost rate is pretty much high...

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Ahahaha, I've been trying to get her to battle me for a while now, but it's not happening. She ain't dumb; she knows how it'll end up XP

Maybe I should say 'hey, if you battle me, I promise I won't sweep your whole team with my Dragonite.' then I Bisharp her in the face

Update, tho: She got from Chargestone Cave to Celestial Tower without needing help. Yay?

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Ahahaha, I've been trying to get her to battle me for a while now, but it's not happening. She ain't dumb; she knows how it'll end up XP

Maybe I should say 'hey, if you battle me, I promise I won't sweep your whole team with my Dragonite.' then I Bisharp her in the face

Update, tho: She got from Chargestone Cave to Celestial Tower without needing help. Yay?

See? It just takes time for kids to get on further into the game than adults or teens. So I say that pokemon is a game for all ages :P

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Well, it's not like it's terribly hard to get from one to the other, though I will admit I took a wrong turn and ended up at Twist Mountain first. :/ All you have to do is go straight, pretty much - you don't even have to beat the Gym Leader yet.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Well, if you'd actually read the thread - even my original post - you'd see that I'm not just talking about my sister. I've seen many younger Pokemon players having similar problems and was wondering if it was really that widespread.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Well, they do have to know to pay attention to the NPCs. They drop hints that should help most younger players figure it out. Everything from "Try jumping off the ledge over there" to "You'll find the road ahead easier if you train Pokemon with a variety of types" can be picked up in game.

Naturally, it's trying to convince them that the NPC's aren't just full of hot air that's the difficult part....

ZeviL

Nihilist
    Years
  • Simple. In order to play the game with as little mistakes as possible, you have to be alert to your surroundings and to the NPCs and also possessed a decent amount of patience.

Some members from the younger generation do not have the required traits needed to play the game as flawlessly as possible. It is not about how intelligent is your sister, more like how alert or patient she is. Also, the main Pokemon game play may be a game for kids but I believe the competitive battles are so much more complicated, much too complicated for an average child.

Back