• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: I feel stupid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrackerXNinjaX

Traveling Artist
Years
  • Please, can someone tell me the difference between a hack and a game on the PC? I have never known the answer to this question, and i have searched for the answer recently. Please put me out of my misery...

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • This type of question should go in the ROM Hacking section, but thats okay your still new. Just make sure you find the right section before starting a new thread. If you are unsure where it should go ask a Mod.

I'll do my best to answer your question anyways, though I am not sure, you wrote your question weird.

ROM stands for Read Only Media, when you get a ROM on your computer, it is the exact same data that is on the game cartridge.

When someone hacks a ROM they basically open it up and change things around to their liking.

They then use an "Emulator" which has the the GameBoy's firmware, or Operating System (or OS for short). Every electronic device has a firware, with out it the device would be useless. Simple devices, like the Gameboy, have a small, simple (compared to your computers OS) OS. When using an emulator, your computer replicates the environment of the Gameboy virtually on your computer, when you have a ROM image on your Hard Drive, you can play GBA, GB, GBC, and DS games. As long as you have the correct ROM image and Emulator.

See here for more info:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VisualBoyAdvance

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    By what I've seen, here a ROM Hack is defined as an original Pokemon game edited with tools.

A game is made completely from scratch with game making software. But original sprites and music adding is acceptable.

TrackerXNinjaX

Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Thank you for answering my questions, i just never really bothered to find out until now. I thought that a hack is a semi-changed game, or a remake or such and a game being a totally original idea, new sprites, tiles, story concept, pallets, bad guys, new pokemon(sometimes)...you get the picture.
    PKMN Fire Red+changes and inclusion of an old region..etc=HACK
    PKMN Fire Red+New maps, sprites, new pokemon, new tiles, new story, etc=GAME

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    As long as no original ROM is involved and you start from scratch, it is considered a game, your definition was slightly off and needed to include that.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    This type of question should go in the ROM Hacking section, but thats okay your still new.
    Just to let you know, he's asking what the difference between the two are, not help for any of the games. So this is just fine here.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Not really, since this has nothing to do with the forum, really D:

And since the question is answered...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back