• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I give that 10/10!!! , Ratings, how do you rate things?

Years
  • Ratings!!! We love to rate things be they films, TV shows, books, video games or whatever.

Ratings however are somewhat subjective. theoretically 5/10 is the midpoint and is good, but most people would consider a rating of 5 to be bad, also many people tend to avoid giving 10/10 reserving it for a theoretical future perfect piece that will never come along.

Whats your system and logic for rating things and why?

Do you keep a record of ratings on sites like IMDb or MyAnimeList etc?

Do you take into account other things such as Plot, cast, visuals etc or do you just go by how you enjoyed the piece?

Do you take into account the opinions of other people?

I personally work on the idea that 10 is the score that a film or whatever should work towards and if I give anything less then that film could have been better. So compared to other people I can be really generous giving 10s out as if I really enjoyed something I will give it 10.
    On the other hand if I really hate a show I will give it a 1 even if it is highly popular with other people.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I prefer five-star-ratings over out-of-ten-ratings, mainly because of the warped school grading view people have with the latter.
    0-1 stars: terrible
    2 stars: below average
    3 stars: average
    4 stars: good
    5 stars: awesome

It's mostly determined on my impression towards said medium, like all my favorite games got five stars, while a lot of other ones, which I still enjoyed, got four, etc. When starting a new game, my rating mostly starts at three stars as well and depending on how I experience it, the rating goes up, or down accordingy.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Whenever I add music on my iPod Touch, I always give them my own ratings out of a five star system. This is how I rate them:
    5 stars: All battle music
    4 stars: most music
    3 stars: song might not last long on my iPod
    2 stars: same as three stars
    1 star: Why did I even put this on my iPod?
    0 stars: either I have not given it a rating or it is a song that is not on my iPod

Last edited:

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • hello... I'm a nerd...

https://rateyourmusic.com/~maccrash
    https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/19089496-matt-mackenzie
    https://www.imdb.com/user/ur51867245/?ref_=nb_usr_prof_0
    https://letterboxd.com/maccrash/

assorted rating things I use. some of them more updated than others (rateyourmusic is by far the most comprehensive). these ratings are just how I feel. I do take personal connection into account, I'm not rating things solely based on technical achievement. a film or album could be an absolutely masterful technical exercise and I could still hate it. etc.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'm rather simple when it comes to rating stuff. I call it "hit or miss" because either I like them or I don't like them. I find it better to make my ratings a dichotomy because I wouldn't have to come up with a spectrum of analysis or rating categories with blurry separations.

Years
  • I don't care what other people think when I'm seriously rating something. If I don't like it, then I don't like it, I don't care how popular or not it is.

I actually hate using any kind of number system when it comes to rating things, since regardless if it's a 10-point system or a 5-point system, or however many points it has, I always feel like whatever number I pick might be too lenient, or too harsh. So my own way of rating things tends to be along the lines of "I didn't like it", "it was okay", or "it was awesome!" Although when it comes to numbering, the midway point tends to be the "I'm indifferent" point for me. I would have to really dislike something to rate it lower than that, and I think most of the things I find "okay" tend to hover slightly above that. But the highest ratings are still held for the things I really liked or that really impressed me.

And I will take all the various elements into account. Sometimes there might be a weak part of the medium that still doesn't drag down my opinion of it; sometimes there's a strong point that doesn't help raise it in the least. I guess it comes down to: how much did I like it in general regardless of everything.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • 8/8 too much water ~ IGN

I rarely ever rate things, because then it means I'm favoring something over the other. For example, a game may be better at one thing but suck at the other, and another game may be the opposite. Doesn't mean one should get a higher rating than the other. Plus we all know critic ratings are worthless half of the time.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Plus we all know critic ratings are worthless half of the time.
    I never really understood this line of thinking. like, all reviews are just the opinion of one person, and it's never made out to be anything more than that. it's not like you're not allowed to disagree with them or anything. reviews are helpful in figuring out what the work of art is all about, or what the author felt when watching/playing/listening to it, and things like that. and then things like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes are just helpful as a compendium of peoples' thoughts. it's kinda handy. I dunno. I don't think they're worthless.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i think i vote based on enjoyment really. i don't really divulge into every little thing unless something really irks me or stands out to me.

i like hearing other people's opinions, but ultimately i gotta see it for myself. i've only been able to trust opinions when i know the other person and i generally know their taste. for example anything my cousin tells me is good will probably be bad for me and anything she finds bad i'll probably enjoy.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I love arbitrary rankings of cultural things. They're completely meaningless but I love compiling top ten lists and looking at other such lists and reading reviews and whatnot. My preferred ranking metric is to use the A-F grading system. It's a little bit more flexible than the 5-star/out-of-10 systems in that it contains 13 distinct grades from A+ to F but also feels a bit more concrete to my mind, if that makes sense.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • I love arbitrary rankings of cultural things. They're completely meaningless but I love compiling top ten lists and looking at other such lists and reading reviews and whatnot. My preferred ranking metric is to use the A-F grading system. It's a little bit more flexible than the 5-star/out-of-10 systems in that it contains 13 distinct grades from A+ to F but also feels a bit more concrete to my mind, if that makes sense.

You're me p much Cat. I'm not into the 5-star system they use on Letterboxd because I feel like it pits one film directly with another (most times across hugely different genres where they start becoming incomparable), which isn't really the case with grades because they give a more "individualized" rating for a certain film than say, a generic numbered rating. Which is why I prefer the way A.V. Club rates their movies than The Dissolve (though the latter has much better content IMO).

I also like ranking cultural muk (Cat got me into it, thanks a lot Cat, I can't watch a movie now without thinking about where it belongs on a list).

Back