• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I have a new strategy that could use some tweaking.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    Hi all.

In an effort to not use the same 12 boring Ubers that everyone else does, I've tried to to use only Pokemon that I like and strategies that interest me. Recently I tried the Contrary Spinda/Close Combat Arcanine strategy with mild success, but my rating kept plummeting. I've devised my own now that bumped me from the 1100s to the 1400s in one day, but I'm still losing more than I'd like.

I run an Entei with Eruption, Heat Wave and Solar Beam holding Charcoal and a Ninetails with Heat Wave and Solar Beam holding a life orb. Ninetails has Drought which gives the fire moves an even bigger boost. Both Pokemon have maxed Special Attack and Speed EVs and the Ninetails has an increased Special Attack nature that doesn't give up speed. This combo decimates almost everything, even rock and ground types. It does surprising well against waters too thanks to Drought and Solar Beam. What it's vulnerable to is earthquake users and the dreaded Politoed/Ludicolo combo.

I have a fake-out Raichu with a focus sash, thunder wave, sweet kiss and thunderbolt, which I think is a fairly good choice, but I can't figure out what a good fourth monster is. Any recommendations for a Mega to balance this team out? Any advice would be appreciated.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Are you playing on Showdown or Battle Spot Doubles?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Would probably be better to swap Ninetales with Mega Zard Y. Still has Drought, has the same Speed, still has Heat Wave and Solar Beam, but has slightly better bulk, a Ground immunity, and way more firepower.

You also need something for Heatran since Fire attacks just make it stronger and it 4x resists Solar Beam. Gastrodon sounds kinda good since it has Storm Drain to soak up Water attacks from Politoed and Earth Power to smash Heatran with. And funnily enough:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ludicolo: 152-180 (97.4 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
    lol Air Slash might have a use for once on Zard

So Entei, Mega Zard Y, Raichu, and Gastrodon would be 4 'mons so.....

Also I don't get the point of Sweet Kiss but what's Raichu's 4th move?

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    The four moves on his Raichu are Fake-out, Thunderbolt, Sweet Kiss and Thunderwave.

I'd go with what Nah said but maybe swap Sweet Kiss for Hidden Power Ice on Raichu. Just for any Dragons or Landorus spamming Rock Slide.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Eruption on Entei is a waste of its potential because of its lower Special Attack. You already have Charizard Y as a spread Fire move abuser. Not only that, your strategy is particularly vulnerable to Wide Guard, which blocks spread moves for a turn. You're better off using the tried-and-true physical Entei, or even Typhlosion, which has the same Speed as Entei, but better Special Attack:

Entei:
    -Sacred Fire
    -Stone Edge
    -Snarl/Iron Head
    -Protect
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP/236 Atk/20 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Typhlosion:
    -Eruption
    -Fire Blast/Heat Wave
    -Solar Beam/Focus Blast
    -Protect/Focus Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf/Charcoal/Flame Plate
    Ability: Flash Fire

Here's a better take on Raichu. Sweet Kiss isn't doing much:
    -Fake Out
    -Thunderbolt
    -Encore
    -Protect/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Lightning Rod

Or you can even use Pachirisu for speed control and attack redirection:
    -Nuzzle/Electroweb
    -Super Fang/Helping Hand
    -Follow Me
    -Protect
    Nature: Impish/Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/156 Def/100 SDef
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Volt Absorb

Last edited:

srinator

i always found doubles intriguing, wont something like ninetails+mega houndoom be amazing in it?

Back