• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    So I'm trying to learn to script and all that so I can make my own hack at some point.. and I'm running into issues constantly..

Does this code have any problems? If not, great.. HOW THE HELL DO I INSERT IT INTO THE GAME WITH ADVANCE MAP and XSE!?! Seriously I've spent the past 4 hours trying to figure this out and it just wont cooperate.. Like..I keep copy pasting in this code.. Most of the time it doesnt even give me the option to compile.. and when it does it says theres no errors and gives me a bunch of numbers at the bottom of the window that comes up saying things such as start=86B6CC ect... After that.. I add a new person event..click change events, the free space finder comes up..I click okay.. then under Event Offset i paste the 86B6CC after the first 2 0s and its like I never did anything.. All that coding is gone..What am I doing wrong? This is some confusing stuff >:(

#dynamic 0x800554

#org @start
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkflag 0x1200
    if 0x1 goto @done
    msgbox @question 0x5
    compare LASTRESULT 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @givepokemon
    msgbox @nothanks 0x6
    release
    end

#org @done
    msgbox @checkup 0x6
    release
    end

#org @givepokemon
    msgbox @thanks 0x6
    givepokemon 0x19 0x5 0xCA 0x0 0x0 0x0
    fanfare 0x13E
    msgbox @recieved 0x6
    waitfanfare
    setflag 0x1200
    msgbox @thanks2 0x6
    release
    end

#org @question
    = Hey there!\pYou seem like a nice person!\nWould you like this Pikachu?

#org @nothanks
    = Oh? That's to bad.\pCome back if you change your mind.

#org @thanks
    = Oh! That's GREAT!\pHere you go!

#org @thanks2
    = Thanks again! I think it will have\nmore fun with you than with me.

#org @recieved
    = \v\h01 recieved a PIKACHU!

#org @checkup
    = How's that pikachu doing?\nHopefully good.

EViLGRiN

Banned
    Years
    I feel your pain, I definitely had a lot of issues starting out as well. This may not address everything, but hopefully it helps.

The offset you're pasting for the sprite needs to match the offset that XSE gives to "@start". You have the dynamic offset starting at 800554, in theory, if this is your first script, it would probably assign 800554 to @start. But, when you compile your script, XSE should tell you what the exact offset is.

With XSE, I assume you've saved your script as an .rbc file somewhere. Open it, then choose Tools > Batch Compile. Select the rom you want to write to, then select your script file. Below, make sure that "Show log" is selected. Compile that. That should give you the offset you need.

The only thing that really stood out as a potential problem with your script is the "checkflag 0x1200". You should only ever be using flags between 200-2FF, and even then many of those are currently being used by the game, unless you've expanded the available flags somehow. Check out this post: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347
    To start with, I think flags 200-22F are fairly safe.

Hopefully that helps somewhat. Good luck.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    Good lord this is going to be a pain in the ass to learn.. cause even most of your explanation was confusing as hell to me rofl But Ill try that... any easier alternatives to scripting?

EViLGRiN

Banned
    Years
    Good lord this is going to be a pain in the ass to learn.. cause even most of your explanation was confusing as hell to me rofl But Ill try that... any easier alternatives to scripting?

Ha, not that I know of, sorry. You'll figure it out, just keep playing around.

Offsets are like points in a map. If you "compile" a script, you're adding that script to the map (aka the rom). And the offset is the location coordinates for that script.

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    Yeah man, its actually somewhat simple to apply a script into the ROM. What part exactly don't you understand?

Back