• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I JUST CAME UP WITH…"

droomph

weeb
Years
  • Have you ever done something and found a very profound way to do some tedious computer task? Like sorting, compression, etc.?

And it doesn't matter if it actually works or not, but have you ever had a moment like that?

Years
  • I guess I could say that what I do to keep my desktop clean (with wanting to keep files and not delete them) is I move stuff that isn't a desktop shortcut into a folder called "Dump".

I also had to install Windows 7 SP1 on my laptop last year, and in doing so, it corrupted my drive and i had to do a restore to get it working. Turns out my drives were improperly partitioned so I fixed that and did an sfc/scannow to ensure my windows files were working properly and then from there 7 SP1 installed properly. The bad partitioning was also at fault on why I wasn't able to back up on my laptop for a while, either.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I expanded that section where the "show desktop" icon is on the bar at the bottom of the screen on windows XP right across the screen and basically eradicated having to click "Start" for anything except shutting off the laptop.

But nothing really profound, no. I'm no tech expert.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • A few months ago I went to back up my computer on an external hard drive. The hard drive came with a CD that will quickly back up my files, but I couldn't get the software to work. So instead of using the CD, I copied my entire C drive and pasted it in the external hard drive. Needless to say, it took an extremely long time for every file to get pasted...

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I found out I can just press the Windows key and type whatever program I wanted to launch, then press Enter. Ever since I learned that (probably three to four years ago?) I haven't had desktop icons or a dock. :)

Feindseligkeit

Mew Mew!
    Years
  • I made my parent's Windows 8 desktop like Windows 7. Doesn't have the start menu button like in W7, but it is organized and worked like it (i.e Accessories, Games, etc.) and it feels like Windows 7.

The only problem is telling my mom how it works when it's right in front of her and she doesn't listen to me. v_v

Years
  • I installed a file without an installer in GNU/Linux, needless to say, it's not noob friendly, unless you got a web search engine. :3

I also reinstalled a GNU/Linux operating system about... I'd say 30 to 40 times, it's not a hobby, I swear... It's an OBSESSION. xD

I learned some more complicated UNIX commands. :3

I "built" a file from sources in GNU/Linux. (I stopped using Windows 3 months ago)

And I tinkered with Parabola GNU/Linux (Arch Linux based for the people who do not know GNU/Linux), and I couldn't succeed so I cleaned my hard drive stupidly. :I The biggest problem is that I couldn't get X11 up and running.

I tried the Hurd kernel and it was smooooooth, but unnecessary since only Debian supports it.

I'm done with all my GNU/Linux and other stories. :P

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ahah, I've never managed to do something like this. I don't even know most of the keyboard shortcuts I could and should use. I don't even alt-tab or whatsitscalled. Hmm. Lemme try that now.

Ooh, I just tried tabbing a little and realized how I could tab quickly between browser tabs! Cool.

... Jeez, I'm such a tech noob. But yeah, the best thing I've done was probably on my last computer when I got it with Windows Vista and ditched that for Windows XP instead. So much better. Don't worry, on this one I've got Windows 7, haha.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I got rid of all the bloat that Windows 7 and 8 has, and my performance seems to have improved immensely.
    Could you elaborate on this a little bit? I've been interested in making Windows 7 a little faster personally.

Back