• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I know starting over is not what life's about

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
    So yeah, moving. Everyone has to move once or twice in their life. Sometimes its somewhere close and sometimes its pretty far. I personally have to move across the country pretty soon in with my boyfriend and his family (who I don't know at all) and I'm already a foreigner here, and I'm hoping you guys can make me feel a little better about it by maybe telling me about your experiences in the past with moving.

How many times have you moved? Do you find it hard to meet people in new places? Where is the farthest place you've moved away? Do you see yourself moving again anytime soon? Are there any places you want to move to in the future?

Also any and all advice on moving is pretty welcome :3

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've moved just about one million times, and I'm about to move again fairly soon. I was a child for most of my moves so finding new friends wasn't a big deal - I just met kids from school.

To me, every place is basically the same. The logistical parts are the nerve-wracking parts; once that's taken care of, the rest I can deal with it as it comes.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I've only moved a few suburbs from where I used to live...not very far at all. I was too young to remember what for, but it wasn't hard to adjust to my new location. Just make sure you don't really change as drastically as your new area of living has. :p

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I've moved 3 times so this is my 4th house currently, though, I'm still living in the same city I've lived in all my life. I haven't lived in other countries or cities, just different houses.

Even then though, I find it kinda fun. You get to explore a new area and find new places. It's fun to me! But school is another story.

I've been to a total number of 6 schools. Being the new kid is pretty hard. It's easier in high school and college because there are so many new kids coming and going that you blend right in. But in elementary school it's hard because most kids there have "grown up" with the same kids for like, ten years so you stick out like a sore thumb. But high school and college is fine.

I find it pretty easy to meet new people. You just have to get out thee and be friendly to everyone. Don't shut yourself out and hide in a corner. Most people are nice if you approach them first.

As for getting around, taking the public transit system, going for bike rides, walks or driving around is good to do because then you get to see all of streets and stores around your house. Of course, if you're lazy, Google Maps is good too. xD

Years
    I've lived in Jacksonville my whole life; however, I moved a few times. When I was 2, my parents got divorced and my dad moved into an apartment, and my mom's mom bought her a house. After a little bit, my dad moved in with a buddy in a house, and then decided to move into a new house in a gated community. Around 3rd grade, my mom moved again kind of close to my dad actually because she wanted a house of her own. And now, about 2 years ago, so 10th grade, my mom quit her job to go back to school and we moved in with my now step dad in a condo.

That's not too bad by any means for being alive for 18 years. There were always friends around when I was young enough to really need them. It's always nerve wracking to meet the family, but if you just be yourself and act polite, they will love you. Especially if you're moving in with your boyfriend. There's going to be chemistry there, and family can't help but be happy when there is love in the air.

Just be yourself, and things will slowly start to transition. If you need to vent, vent to your boyfriend. Here's there for you, and I'm sure he will try his hardest to make sure you are at home.

Good luck, Goo <3

Reactions: Goo

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I used to move pretty much annually in my early childhood, to the point where it was an anomaly to be at the same school two years in a row. My mother was always searching for a public school that she believed to handle my disabilities correctly and efficiently, and in Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd, grade, and 4th/5th grade I had a rather well-equipped staff, particularly with the middle two because living in a rich neighborhood brings in lots of taxes for well-funded schools. In third grade we dealt with a faculty that was absolutely horrible and took advantage of my psychological weaknesses, prodding and provoking responses out of me – you know, general dickery towards a mentally incapacitated eight year old because they just roll like that. Needless to say my mother withdrew me from their district and got me an End-of-Grade test that I promptly aced… and it was a long summer for me. :3

In regards to moving my doctors have told my mother that mass changes of environments are bad for autistic children like me, so after moving to Garner and living there for four years I didn't move again until two years ago to live with my father. About 3 months ago I moved less than 30 miles from Fountain to Security to live with my mother because of some major physical and psychological abuse he was putting me through (long story short he didn't give a flying ♥♥♥♥ and wanted us for the $800 a month he was saving over not only not paying child support but getting it as well).

In all honesty I don't mind moving much if I'm mentally prepared for it; on the other hand the more attached I grow to a home the less I want to leave. Isn't that normal, though? :<

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I've moved 5 times in total. 3 of those times were far distances. And I wouldn't be surprised if that number doubled in the next 10 years.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. The most stressful aspect of moving is switching schools, but if you're 24 you don't have that experience. Every time I moved I got to meet new and amazing people, and whilst of course there were some stresses involved, I don't regret any of my moves. I am pretty awkward meeting new people, in the past a lot worse than currently, but I always managed to find new friends very quickly.

You'll be with your boyfriend as well, so at least you aren't alone. There'll be plenty of new places to go and see (hopefully). Just relax, see the opportunity and continue to do whatever you love doing.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
    I have moved houses a total of 4 times with my mom, a total of 7 times with my dad (Though I don't know my dad would count since I technically live with my mom, and visit my dad every other weekend). I've never actually moved out of the city though. I might be moving out of the city when I go to college, much to my dismay. I don't want to leave my mom! :c
    I do have dreams and plans that require I move either to Chicago, Orlando, or to San Diego, which is on the other side of the continent. So I guess I'll have to learn to adjust to leaving friends and family at some point. On top of that, I don't want to stay in my city forever.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    I have moved a lot throughout my short life. I dunno, 20+ times. Stopped counting.

Honestly, it's not a big deal if you're mentally prepared.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
    I've moved three times with my dad, and twice with my mom. With my dad, we always just moved to a bigger house in the same general area, but it was very jarring because I was a little kid, and I used to be quite resistant to change.

I moved with my mom from Illinois to Washington state, and the transition wasn't as rough as I was expecting. I'd had the opportunity to visit the town we were moving to about a year in advance, so I knew a bit of what to expect, and I got to see a lot of the good parts of it. It made me more excited than apprehensive. To be honest, the worst part was packing and unpacking, because we had so much stuff!

Around a year and a half after we moved, we moved again to a much larger house three miles away. Again, the boxes were the worst part of it. Plus, we didn't have phone, TV, or internet for nearly a month after moving in, because of the worst Comcast service ever.

Years
    Change is meant to be. I've lived in about 6 different towns in Washington state. In South Carolina and Virginia for a short while + Alaska. Lots of experiences, most of them good! California is next!

Years
    I-I've only moved like four times. Two times away from home to go to college, and then two times coming back home.
    It's an incredible pain, and terribly inconvenient, but it always sparks independence in me.

L-living at home sucks.
    My mom has had the same house for like 32 years. I've lived there most of my life. ):

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I've never "officially" moved house, like when I was living with my parents. I grew up in the same house until I was 18, then I had a year - 14 month period where I spent time living with friends, my grandparents, anyone who would take me in.

Last year I moved into a flat with a friend and we're both splitting the rent. I'd like to move into my own place but being perfectly honest it's not going to happen any time soon.

Years
    I've been in this town for 4 and a half years now. It's the longest I've stayed anywhere in my life so far. And I have no plans on leaving anytime soon. It's a bit weird, even now. .___.;

Was born in Illinois, then moved to England, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Japan, Kansas, Germany, Nebraska again, Wisconsin again, and then back to Kansas. Then there were two small moves: one the first time I lived in Kansas, and the second when I moved from crashing at my sister's place to the apartment I'm in now.

My mom was in the Air Force, hence us moving around so often. She'd get stationed somewhere else, and we'd all pack up and go. To be honest, I think that's one reason I have difficulty maintaining friendships once I stop seeing people on a regular basis. Early in my life, the Internet wasn't as much a thing, so I lost contact with friends once I moved. Even now I'm bad at maintaining contact, even with social media.

Making friends isn't too difficult. Especially when you're in school or when you have a job! Just talk to people and get to know them a bit.

I don't miss not having all of my stuff for a few months, that's for sure. That was the #1 wost thing for me as a kid. The way the shipment worked, there was a small shipment that'd come within a month, and then the rest of it a month or two later. The small shipment had the necessities, but sometimes the stuff you really wanted was in the longer shipment... If I ever move out of town again, I'll get rid of my crap if it means I can fit in a car/small van and have it all at once!

Years
    In regards to moving family homes, I've only moved once, from the "ghetto" neighbourhood of the city to a better community on the escarpment. To be honest, I think it was an impulsive decision on my parents' part 7-8 years ago; they loved my best friend (at the time) so much that when she moved, we practically followed her XD I've technically moved when I was switching residences while I was away at university, but I don't necessarily count that. The next time I move will probably be when I move in with my significant other, or have bought myself a home after getting married. I already have a couple cities in mind; I never intended to stay in the same boring city for the rest of my life >>;;

Back