• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I like ____" "Eww, stop following the crowd"

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
Years
  • What does annoy me though is when, upon hearing the news I like something that is popular people assuming that I only like it "because it's popular", to which no, I'm not a sheep, I like it because it's good.

I often find it really obnoxious when people go saying that they're big time fans of something, though, and have been there since the beginning, when the "beginning" is when they became popular. I can't tell you how many people I know think Paramore is a new band.

i agree with the statements above o;

i like being unique, but generally i just go with what i like

for example, in maplestory, there are certain people who just sit around in the popular town and most of them have the same hair, sometimes clothes
    so i usually chose less popular hair/clothes that were still pretty cuz i didnt wanna just seem like "one of them"

but irl, i tend to blend in style-wise but not music-wise just based on what i like

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Something that has been getting on my nerves for a while now and I thought I would get everyone elses opinion on it.
    Why is it that if something becomes popular THEN you start to like it, people bash you for following the crowd? It's childish and wrong. Please feel free to argue that point.
    If I want to like something then I'll like it. Who cares if millions of other people like it?
    Why is it considered "uncool" to like something that everyone else likes?
    Why do I have to like something that no-ones really heard of to be "cool"?
    For example... I like some bands that probably no one on here has heard of because they're just local bands but if they ever got huge and suddenly were world famous I wouldn't stop liking them. That's so bloody childish! Yet there are people that WOULD stop liking them just because everyone else did.
    Some people I know claim they are "Indie" because they only like bands that no-one has heard of. That's so stupid and doesn't even make sense!
    Well you know what?? I'm so "indie" If this thread gets too many posts I'm going to delete it and claim it sold out!!! (To all the slow people, I'm kidding haha)
    What are your thoughts on people like this? (Remember I'm not JUST talking about bands, it can be about ANYTHING)

Because a cliche just as big as the popular cliche is the rebel cliche.

I agree. People who have the rebel cliche where they rebel against popular things like that are the most ANNOYING people I can think of. I've met people like this and they just grate on me with their self-righteous opinions waving like a flag.

I'm all like, "Cool story, bro!"

Good example is Twilight.
    Some people like Twilight for no particularly good reason. <-- Popular Cliche
    Some people hate Twilight, and haven't even bothered to get a reason why. <-- Rebel Cliche
    (People who hate it with a reason don't fit into either. Kay? >_>)

Popular cliche is EVERYWHERE, almost unconditionally, so most of the time it's not very surprising or irritating.

Rebel cliche however is somewhat less common due to the fact it has a tendency to cater to the people that hate for no particular reason. Naturally, people hate people who hate on something for no particular reason. Thus, rebel clichers don't speak out as much, leading to the illusion they're exceptionally less common.

But if you're like me and get to know a lot of people you see there isn't that much less in reality.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015

Captain Fabio     No.000042XX

I follow no one.
    I like what I like and don't really care if people have a problem with it.

Best statment I have read in a while.

Nobody can't tell you what's cool and uncool. You love what you love and that's that.

I remember when me and my friends were having a duel (yugioh cards) a group of dudes walked by and one of my friends tried to hide his cards as if he was afraid of being laughed at or something. Seriously, I don't give a damn. Laugh ridicule do whatever but I'm still going to sit here and play with these cards.

Also people I know are starting to become "rockstars" mainly due to Lil Waynes influence. Hell they have no clue what real rock music is and yet they come to school in there skinny jeans. Five years ago, they would have laughed at someone for were skinny jeans and nothing baggy. Then they say "this is me. This is who I am." Sorry, but you are just trying to pose as something you are not.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013

Åzurε No.9, No.9, No.9...

The same thing happened on this very wiki website, on the subject of Lucario. Feh, people can say what they want to.

...By the way, what's up the 4ch-post-esque stuff? Confooooorm...

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Some people think it's so cool to be unconformist, when I'm confronted with these people I just reply that I'm so unconformist, I wont conform with not liking the cliché. :)

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Well sometimes if everybody goes on and on about something I'll check it out to see what the hype is about, but if I don't like it I'll just say so, and if I do like it I wont say I don't just so I can seem cool end edgey.

Like Glee. I used to be all like "eww you watch Glee you sheep", but I watched it myself and found it to be really good, so I had to eat a slice of humble pie and now I know after giving it a chance, glee is really good.

It's not to everyone's tastes, but just because lots of people like it doesn't mean I'm copying them it just means I can take suggestions and we have something in common.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    lol

Um. This entire topic seems a little tl;drish but I'll discuss what I feel is on-topic enough without bothering to understand the first post.

Everyone hated Bieber. I followed the crowd and made fun of him. Listened to his songs. Liked two of them. And now I feel like a hypocrite.

There was once the "boy/girl" counting thread. I hated it because I thought it was sexist. I posted there, got addicted. Hypocrisy.

But however I think the topic is about liking something before it became popular. Uh.

OH YES wonderful example on PC. TCTI. I liked it before it became popular. Now it's popular, some people have hated on it. It was also central to some dramas but yeah.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • If they really do like it, then great. If they're just doing it to get in a group / conform, then they're just part of the flock of sheep, and in modern day, generally when you conform it's not towards something positive.

>>

I like things I like. I won't like something or someone just because everyone else does. That's stupid.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • lol

Um. This entire topic seems a little tl;drish but I'll discuss what I feel is on-topic enough without bothering to understand the first post.

Everyone hated Bieber. I followed the crowd and made fun of him. Listened to his songs. Liked two of them. And now I feel like a hypocrite.

There was once the "boy/girl" counting thread. I hated it because I thought it was sexist. I posted there, got addicted. Hypocrisy.

But however I think the topic is about liking something before it became popular. Uh.

OH YES wonderful example on PC. TCTI. I liked it before it became popular. Now it's popular, some people have hated on it. It was also central to some dramas but yeah.

Ok, I'm on PC to make friends, not to annoy people. An I don't want people hating on me and thinking i'm a conformist just because they didn't understand what I meant. (If you weren't hating then I really do apologize :) )
    I'm rubbish at explaining things, this is why you don't get what I'm saying, hold on, I'll try better haha.
    What I mean is, why can't I like something regardless of how popular it is without being called a conformist? If something is really popular then I start to like it, I end up getting people saying stuff to me and hating me because I like something that is popular. Don't you think that is stupid? Shouldn't I be able to like anything I want to like?
    I hope you understand now.

If they really do like it, then great. If they're just doing it to get in a group / conform, then they're just part of the flock of sheep, and in modern day, generally when you conform it's not towards something positive.

>>

I like things I like. I won't like something or someone just because everyone else does. That's stupid.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is what I'm like, I don't like things just because other people like them. I like something because I like it. It doesn't matter how popular something is. If something is REALLY popular then I start to like it, how am I a conformist? I am not liking it just because other people do. I like it because I like it. Haha

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Let them laugh at me for liking/hating something they don't. I just laugh back at them for the same thing.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ok, I'm on PC to make friends, not to annoy people. An I don't want people hating on me and thinking i'm a conformist just because they didn't understand what I meant. (If you weren't hating then I really do apologize :) )
    I'm rubbish at explaining things, this is why you don't get what I'm saying, hold on, I'll try better haha.
    What I mean is, why can't I like something regardless of how popular it is without being called a conformist? If something is really popular then I start to like it, I end up getting people saying stuff to me and hating me because I like something that is popular. Don't you think that is stupid? Shouldn't I be able to like anything I want to like?
    I hope you understand now.

Oh I wasn't hating, I was just lazy. XD;

But yeah now I understand. Tbh I tend to get that way, like jumping on the bandwagon - or at least liking it after it's popular. Then I get obsessive and for me, it loses the original point. I don't end up liking something because I do... I just... like something because it becomes a habit I guess. Due to this obsession, unless I like something before it's popular, then there's no use for me. Well, in my situation at least.

So yeah I think people should be free to like what they like no matter how popular it is, just in my case... not always. XD;

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Yeah, it annoys me a lot. A couple of the staff got Mean Girls usernames, and I got one as well (just because I like Mean Girls) and someone accused me of copying the staff. :[ It made me paranoid because then I realized a lot of other people probably thought that, so I got upset because I wanted to change my username. XD

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I like or dislike things regardless of their popularity. People who criticize me for that, should just step down. They need to realize that not everyone is going to conform to them.

I HEART MEGA HITT

ruuuki ♥
    Years
  • I don't really like following things that have loads of popularity but most of the time I'm just not interested too. I just don't really watch reality shows but I love anime. I do hate Naruto though because I just don't think its all that great.

To be honest, I never really tell someone they suck because they like something I don't. If I do, I'm usually just picking on them because they do the same thing to me with what I like. (Not just with HITT but basically anything in my general interest.)

Everyone has their own opinion of things.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • Why is it that if something becomes popular THEN you start to like it, people bash you for following the crowd? It's childish and wrong. Please feel free to argue that point.

Because they don't get the fact that a lot of people start to like something because it is good to them, which is why it gets so popular in the first place. And let's say someone does get into something because of the crowd, who cares, that just means they wouldn't have discovered they liked it without the crowd. It doesn't mean they only like it because it's popular.

Why is it considered "uncool" to like something that everyone else likes? Why do I have to like something that no-ones really heard of to be "cool"?

People think this because they think it's cool to "rebel", but it defeats the purpose when everyone is being a "rebel". So as you know, don't listen to what people say, just like what you want to like.

And having someone say that to you is not as bad as: "I like ___" "Eww, you're a sicko! Go die!" XD

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I hate it. It affected me most with reality shows. Some idiot gives a false fact about a contestant, then everyone's like, oh that's true!" And you can't stop the bandwagon >!<

I try not to follow in that sense, also, I want my own style, like I won't advertise Nike on my chest, but I like their trainers...

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
  • Things go mainstream for a reason,

because it's obviously good. Which is why people like it. Finding it before others means nothing, it doesn't make bands sound different, and it doesn't make television episodes change.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • It's a constant cycle. Things that are considered "uncool" eventually get into the "mainstream" and then everybody starts hating it.

It's a ridiculously stupid cycle. And like everybody's guilty of it, from the people who 'follow the crowd' to the people who say they don't. They're both 'tools', and they're both conformists.

If one judges something based on popularity, whether that is loving it or hating it because it because it's popular, they are 'following the crowd'. As I said it's a cycle.

So how about we start thinking for ourselves and judging on case-by-case basis, huh? I'm sick of seeing it... And I have to be honest, I see a whole bunch more of the "I hate this because it's popular" than I do the other way around. And let me just tell you, going against the mainstream itself does not make you 'different', it makes you more of the same. Now having your own opinion that coincidentally goes against the mainstream might be 'different', but trust me, it's rare that it's just a coincidence. The mind is a powerful thing, if we want to think that the mainstream is bad, we will. Maybe some of it is, but you won't be any 'different' by hating the mainstream because it is mainstream (it's just another form of conformism). You will only be different by actually thinking for yourself.

I know that can be hard... But you just have to keep an open-mind. Which is also a very hard task to do... But it's the only way you will actually be different - realizing that things are not all black and white.

Back