• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I like ____" "Eww, stop following the crowd"

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Years
  • It depends on what it is. If it's something like "Lord of the Rings," then I don't care when you started liking it, whether it was before or after. But for sports, it's not really cool to just cheer on the best team. Part of the spirit in sports is to have a team you are always proud of, support and whatnot, and you aren't doing that if you keep changing teams.

Also, there are just things that are really mediocre that become big, and I'll look down on them because I can tell they wouldn't've liked them if they weren't big.

So pretty much, if they would've liked them before they were the thing, I don't care, but if they are only liking them just because everybody else is, I don't think really good things about that.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • It's a constant cycle. Things that are considered "uncool" eventually get into the "mainstream" and then everybody starts hating it.

It's a ridiculously stupid cycle. And like everybody's guilty of it, from the people who 'follow the crowd' to the people who say they don't. They're both 'tools', and they're both conformists.

If one judges something based on popularity, whether that is loving it or hating it because it because it's popular, they are 'following the crowd'. As I said it's a cycle.

So how about we start thinking for ourselves and judging on case-by-case basis, huh? I'm sick of seeing it... And I have to be honest, I see a whole bunch more of the "I hate this because it's popular" than I do the other way around. And let me just tell you, going against the mainstream itself does not make you 'different', it makes you more of the same. Now having your own opinion that coincidentally goes against the mainstream might be 'different', but trust me, it's rare that it's just a coincidence. The mind is a powerful thing, if we want to think that the mainstream is bad, we will. Maybe some of it is, but you won't be any 'different' by hating the mainstream because it is mainstream (it's just another form of conformism). You will only be different by actually thinking for yourself.

I know that can be hard... But you just have to keep an open-mind. Which is also a very hard task to do... But it's the only way you will actually be different - realizing that things are not all black and white.

Wow, it's like you just dipped into my mind and pulled out exactly what I was thinking.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I have a facebook. I told my friend I did, and she said "Ick, I didn't think you'd stoop that low." BECAUSE IT WAS POPULAR? Also, I really DON'T MIND Twilight. I actually read the book! And I wasn't overly obsessed with it, but I didn't think it was some kind of horrible disgrace to humanity. o___O A lot of people hate things JUST because they're popular. I understand that it gets annoying with all the teen fan girls and stuff, but THERE ARE PEOPLE ON HERE THAT SAY THEY WANT TO KILL JUSTIN BIEBER. Seriously, it's just immature and obnoxious. I don't like his music either, but I don't want to torture him.

It just gets annoying. People make you think you can't like something because it's popular. It's just stupid. :[

/just remembered he already posted in here/

knives and pens.

cutting releases endorphins.
    Years
  • I rather go against what everyone else thinks just because I can, and things are fun when they don't make sense. The general verdict is whats popular. I like what I like, and hate what I hate, not because everyone else likes it or hates it. XD

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • Things go mainstream for a reason,

because it's obviously good. Which is why people like it. Finding it before others means nothing, it doesn't make bands sound different, and it doesn't make television episodes change.
    o rly? how do you explain twilight or the jonas brothers?

nothing wrong with liking something that is mainstream just make sure you don't like it because it's mainstream

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Mainstream does not equal good, per say. Mainstream is popular, and "good" is an opinion. [/shock-horror]

Beelzenef

Luffy
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    I think I like to be myself. I don't try to be different and I don't try to be a hypocrite either. If what I like happens to be something popular or something no one has ever heard of then so be it. I like what I like. And I think people who want to be themselves are awesome. Regardless of their style, personality, or what they like. If people try to be themselves then I think that's what is truly cool.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • nothing wrong with liking something that is mainstream just make sure you don't like it because it's mainstream

Just make sure you don't hate it because its mainstream, too.

As I said earlier in this topic, they're both bad. But for some reason mainstream-haters annoy me more. It's probably because they think that they're thinking for themselves, when in reality they're doing the very opposite. And also because they think they're very awesome and rebellious because of it. They always have to make a big deal about it. lol.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • Just make sure you don't hate it because its mainstream, too.

As I said earlier in this topic, they're both bad. But for some reason mainstream-haters annoy me more. It's probably because they think that they're thinking for themselves, when in reality they're doing the very opposite. And also because they think they're very awesome and rebellious because of it. They always have to make a big deal about it. lol.
    definitely, people who think they are too good for something annoy me too. but there are some things that were just thrusted on me like twilight. people just kept talking about it and blah blah blah. that's probably how most hate for mainstream things start.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I enjoy what I enjoy, and whether other people like it is of little concern to me. I have absolutely no problem with liking what other people like, or conversely, with liking things that nobody else seems to like. It's all about my personal tastes.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
  • Heck my favorite Pokemon is Lucario. So I guess in the terms put...I'm already following the crowd! ;) I really don't care what people think of me. If I'm cool I'm cool, if not well that's okay too. You people just need to be yourself. Heck, I'm a Senior in highschool, on the football team playing Pokemon in the middle of class. Does it look like I care what other people think? I agree, do what you want. The word "cool" is over-rated. Well I'll get off my little rant now. Peace out.

-Okami

Back