• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I made a whole new layout... rate please!

DragonHeart

Summer Fun!
    Years
    Could a mod please close my other layout thread?

I made a whole new layout... rate please!

This is my new layout that I made yesterday... I am aware of the weird offset of the nav buttons, but I still like them because I made the images for them myself instead of generating them on some web site, and spent most of the evening lining them up in the table just to get them the way they are...

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

*NOTE* I don't have Flash, but I plan to buy it when I get enough money. I made this layout and the buttons in PSP8.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    It looks very nice - only thing I'm a bit worried about is the fixed height. What happens if the user's resolution is greater than yours? Does the image just cut off or does it have a background image behind it that makes it look seamless?

DragonHeart

Summer Fun!
    Years
    hmmm... I'm not quite sure what you mean by "greater." The layout was made on a widescreen with a resolution of 1280x800... do you mean like, what would happen if someone had a resolution of 1024x768 or 800x600 (which I am aware that many people do)?

sorry, I might sound a little lost on common sense, but I'm still new to the whole site-making thing...

WidowMaker

Horizons
    Years
    I'm sorry to say, but it looks a tad like a layout a Freewebs site coughed up.. D: It needs alot of work. I'm not trying to be mean or hard on the layout or anything, I'm just posting my opinion.

DragonHeart

Summer Fun!
    Years
    *Not saying this as an excuse* but I have only just started learning web design last semester in a tech class... what I've been taught there so far is all I know... in addition to my limited imagination.

And, though I take as much offence from "hard" criticism as the next designer, I appreciate seeing peoples opinions... because after all, it's people like you all who will see the site, and your opinions matter more than mine because I am but one person.

~~~~~~~~

Saniigo said:
    I'm sorry to say, but it looks a tad like a layout a Freewebs site coughed up..
    Yeah, ummm... I hardly have seen what Freewebs site layouts look like, so I don't know what to say on that, other than admit that I have limited originality skills... x.x;;

Bugsy said:
    the buttons make it look out of place
    As for the buttons.... I've tried many methods of trying to line them up with the image... nothing is working and it's just frustrating me... I think I'll just make new ones... *thinks - why didn't I think of that before???* *shot*

PD Wooper

.: υвεʀ ωοορεʀ :.
    Years
    WTF? I think this is quite nice.Fixed height isn't a problem when you make them open a popup...Although 1200x800 isn't too great for people like me who have 1280x1024 T_T

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    DragonHeart said:
    hmmm... I'm not quite sure what you mean by "greater." The layout was made on a widescreen with a resolution of 1280x800... do you mean like, what would happen if someone had a resolution of 1024x768 or 800x600 (which I am aware that many people do)?

sorry, I might sound a little lost on common sense, but I'm still new to the whole site-making thing...
    I mean if their resolution is bigger than yours. Then the background image will end somewhere on-screen, and then... what?

Pokedragonfire

ph34r |\/|y 1337 n1nj4 5k1||z
    Years
    Dragonfree said:
    I mean if their resolution is bigger than yours. Then the background image will end somewhere on-screen, and then... what?
    That's easy to fix since the image is a solid color. It's good for a start, but I think the buttons are too big. The art of the dragon needs some better shading. Use some gradient shading or something. The weird curvy shapes are not good to have where you have the content, usually you want a rectangle for the content area. It's just very plain, add something to it.

DragonHeart

Summer Fun!
    Years
    Like I said, I'm not very creative with my ideas... I have trouble getting the stuff in my head out on paper, or in this case, on a screen

I did actally use gradients to shade the dragon, but I guess they don't show up too well, do they...

As for the whole fixed height thing, whatever space in the browser window that isn't taken up by the layout table is simply white... does that answer your question?

Cloud_boy

FML
    Years
    That layout looks very nice, a little too blue, but it's ok.

I hate people who join PC just to spam the hell out of it. But he had spirit.

DragonHeart

Summer Fun!
    Years
    Thanx, people!

Yeah, I guess it is a little too much on the blue side... ^.^;; Blue is my favorite color...

Any suggestions on how to make this less "plain?" Like details I should add in or something?

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    PC does not condone or sanction software piracy; hence Bowsa's post was deleted. In future, please do not post unless you have something (legal) to contribute to the topic.

Back