• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i need help with my team, I can't defeat the 8th Gym Leader on Soul Silver.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2010
    I can't defeat the 8th Gym Leader on Pokemon Soulsilver :(

Lvl.51 Typhlosion: Cut - Flame Wheel - Flamethrower - Lava Plume
    Lvl.31 Gyarados: Bite - Dragon Rage - Surf - Avalanche
    Lvl.26 Fearow: Fly - Fury Attack - Pursuit - Aerial Ace
    Lvl.26 Poliwag: Surf - Rain Dance - Body Slam - BubbleBeam
    Lvl.34 Pidgeotto: Whirlwind - Twister - Featherdance - Agility
    Lvl.20 Togepi: Metronome - Sweet Kiss - Yawn - Encore

If i should change anything let me know, helping me with a strategy will be towards 10 points!

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    replace one of you flyers evolve or replace poliwag catch a swinub/jynx anything with Ice moves and grind

oh a better place to put this would've been the in game help thread more people there orientated on teams to help and your team needs some help mate

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Better yet would be the Ingame Team Help section, which I shall move this thread to as that's the place to ask about team-related questions. =p

You may want to consider grinding some other Pokemon (preferably something with ice-type moves for the two Dragonairs and particularly later on with the Elite Four - electric helps with Gyarados nicely though). Clair is tough if you've only got the one Pokemon with nothing strong against her Pokemon Note you can grind on wild Pokemon or refight trainers via the phone (check the faq thread sticky at the top of the HGSS setion for a link to find out how that actually works - essentially you can refight people over and over during specific time periods).

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    okay a little more in def
    Get rid of Cut on Typhlosion along with a fire moves too many moves of one type
    No need for a poliwag and a gyarados replace one of them with a grass type Vileplume perhaps
    no need for two flyers replace one of them with an electric pokemon
    replce togepi with an Ice type

better moveset for typhlosion
    Flamethrower
    Shadow Claw
    Earthquake
    Arial Ace/Rollout

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    There's no point in having both Fearow and Pidgeotto, even if one of them has Fly when the other doesn't. Since Pidgeotto is a higher level you could replace one of its moves with Fly (really anything but Twister).

You'll need some Ice attacks for her Dragonairs, which you can easily accomplish by leveling up your Gyarados and getting Ice Fang. You can also take out Kingdra with Dragon Rage since it's only weak to Dragon moves.
    Anything Electric or Rock takes care of Gyarados...the former is typically preferred because any electric attack can easily OHKO it. You can get a Flaaffy on Route 42/43 - they practically jump out at you begging to be captured - and level it up to Ampharos for some electric attacks.

Whatever's left is just lots and lots and lots of grinding. Also try to get rid of cut on Typhlosion.

Years
    Question. What type of trainer is the 8th gym leader? I forgot.

I would loose pidgeotto. because it doesn't have any good moves. And replace the gym leader's weakness points.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2010
    Your best hope is to level up Gyrados until it learns Ice Fang, then do some grinding. As for her Kingdra, I took it out with a level 32 Wobbuffet, found on my pokewalker.

Essence

Aura L♥VE
    Years
    In-game teams (or competitive teams for that matter) don't need two attacking moves of the same type, or more! Except for say, Blast Burn and Flamethrower or THunderbolt and Thunder Wave. On Typhlosion get rid of flame wheel and lava plume, on gyarados switch surf or waterfall, On poliwag get rid of bubblebeam, get some ATTACKING moves on your pidgeotto, and where did extrasensory go on your togepi :disappoin

Back