• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen "I need money, mom!"

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Gold, Silver, and Crystal, a portion of your prize money would get automatically sent to your mom every time you had earned them by battling. Once you're ready, you could always go up to her and withdraw them all together. If you don't do it soon enough, though, then sometimes, she would spend these cash on house decorations. Anyway, what do you all think of this feature? Do you like it, or dislike it? If it's latter, then why? :p

Gible

Y L I E S S E
    Years
    Lol, I was too young to figure out that I could take back the money. I don't mind if they implement it into the newer games though seeing as I hit max money quite often.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
    Years
    This was a great feature that GameFreak had implemented in the Second Generation Games. I myself iirc, liked it a lot. You could control for how long she can hold your money and stop at any given time, whenever you willed.

Today I just thought that the feature is like an educational tool.

Your Mom is like a Bank/MoneyMart (Like Western Union).
    Every time you battled, at least 1/4 or 2/4 of the money you earn in that battle gets sent to her.
    When you are in Newbark Town, and visit her, you can access her to receive more funds or to have her stop holding the funds altogether, that way every time you battled afterwards, no money would get sent to your mom and you'd be holding all of the money.

^Anyone can add to that if they wish by the way.

It's a great way to teach kids how to save money and how much you withdraw.

^My 2cents.

It was fun to use at first since I liked the dolls she could get you. Eventually dawned on me that they were near-useless so I opted out of her saving my money; was lots better that way and less dialogue to click through after battles. But the fact that she could purchase Moon Stones and all that made me consider letting her save some on several occasions. Because yay for stones!

Another good side is I tended to run out of money when buying healing items for E4 battles among other things so it'd be nice to be able to go over to her and have extra lying around.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I didn't really care about whether she saved my money or not. But hey, she got some pretty cool stuff that was handy pretty early for me, like Super and Hyper Potions, along with the Moon Stones. I just sold those off, seeing as I didn't have any Pokemon that needed a Moon Stone, so she helped me get materials AND make money. That being said, you do get more money in the long run if you refrain from having your mum save, but you miss out on goodies you could either use or sell. I found it helpful, as I didn't want to lose a lot when I lost a battle, either though that's rare cos I'm a pokemon master 8)

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
    I didn't really care about whether she saved my money or not. But hey, she got some pretty cool stuff that was handy pretty early for me, like Super and Hyper Potions, along with the Moon Stones. I just sold those off, seeing as I didn't have any Pokemon that needed a Moon Stone, so she helped me get materials AND make money.

The only times I would use Mom's money saving feature was if, and only if, I was planning on having a team member or picking up a team member who evolves with the moon stone.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I always use the money saving feature. Right before I fight the Elite Four, I leave all my money with Mom so it's nice and safe in case I needed to buy more Revives. I always hated how she bought stuff with my hard earned money, though. Unless it was a doll. I love the room decoration feature.

Years
    Lol, I was too young to figure out that I could take back the money. I don't mind if they implement it into the newer games though seeing as I hit max money quite often.

It was the same with me...I never went back to her to get my money back, haha. Never mind! Hope she bought some nice things with my hard-earned pennies. :P

GoldenHouou

Abstract Nonsense
    Years
    To me, it basically just meant I could store twice the amount of money than usual, so yeah, it was nice. I hated it when she bought Super Potions and shiz, though. It's like mom plz, I'm challenging the last gym, do you really think that will be of any use to me? I'm just gonna sell it to get at least half of my money back, anyway.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
    I always dislike it at the beginning of the game because I can't even afford five Poke Balls.

But then, you learn to love it. When you can withdraw $10,000 Poke dollars at a time.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    I liked that you could change your mind if you thought that Mom was wasting too much of your money. ;p But it was a great feature since it allowed you to obtain and farm Moon Stones early on in the game. Useful for evolving Jigglypuff that you get on the route before Goldenrod, or perhaps if you hatched a Cleffa egg. :P

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I kind of wish there was an option like that in real life because I suck at saving money lol. Anyways I've liked that feature and wish they would bring it back in Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. The only thing that I did not like about this was the fact that she would spend your money as if she is entitled to do so.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I liked it because (a) it increased how much money you could have total and (b) it prevented you from losing as much money if you lost a battle (something that was more of an issue for me back when I first played GSC than it is today). I sometimes found it annoying that she spent my money without permission, but I really liked the room decorations she bought, and especially enjoyed looking at them on Stadium 2. I wish later games did this and brought back more room decorations that your mom could buy to encourage you to come home from time to time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    When I was younger I had no idea that this was even happening. I actually did not figure out Mom was saving my money until I started playing Pokémon HeartGold. I always had her save some, but I would never use the presents she bought for me. They were always something menial like a potion or repel which I would never have use for. By the time I made it to the Elite Four, I would always fly back and take the money she saved buying maximum amounts of revives and hyper potions.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Another good side is I tended to run out of money when buying healing items for E4 battles among other things so it'd be nice to be able to go over to her and have extra lying around.

Same. I would always run out of $ when I needed to buy healing items/Pokeballs and then I would realize that my mom probably had like, half my money haha. Other than this I found it quite annoying a lot of the time, tbh.

Years
    I really liked this feature, and would like to see it come back in future generations. As well as being helpful in supporting me financially, it also brought a sense of realism to the whole adventure of Pokemon, which is a difficult thing to establish in a game like this! Game Freak did well with the mechanic, and I utilized it fully. Whenever I was low on money from losing multiple times to Gym leaders, I'd come back to get it replenished. In a real journey, it would make a lot of sense for the hero to return home every now and then and visit his family, and that scenario was created successfully.

Mecheon

Flamingo Flambé
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2014
    I liked this feature a lot, even though the mom spent some of the money. In GSC, she would stop after the Big Snorlax, and you could have twice the maximum pocket money at your disposal (if managed well) with a pokemon that knows HM02 Fly.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Haha I hated this feature :) first I thought it was good but when I noticed she used my money to buy pointless things I immediately "closed my bank account" and never enabled it again. I don't usually white out much anyways.

Years
    As a kid, I liked this feature a lot; I loved receiving good items and dolls/other stuff for my bedroom from my mom! It also came in handy when I maxed out on money, as I'd still be making some, plus I wanted to keep the maxed out amount on me, so if I bought something I could go to my mom and get the money back. Now, I still like receiving good items + dolls, but I don't think it's something to write home about.

Back