• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need some advise for my rom idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2014
    I have an Anime-Based rom idea that like others starts out in Pallet and proceeds through the episodes of the Anime, extending in expansions to the other regions etc.

However, I want to start from scratch instead of doing a "Hack of <insert color>"

- Some of the major changes I am considering are changing the experience required to level up. Looking about sitting at the end of the johto region at lvl 20-25. End of kanto at lvl 40 and so on.

- Changing key loop holes in logic. Like spearow can fly a full grown man but scyther cannot. Flying type is not super effective against water type. And so on.

- Using DS sprites in a .GBA rom instead of Gen III and below. I want it to look the best but also contain the best compatibility in emulation. IE be able to be played on the PSP and DS and PC, maybe Wii.

But the details are just part of the creation process.

I am very new to the hacking scene; scripting in general (PS1, VBS and some dabbing into Java playing with my HTC One S) So consider me a newbie, unless terminals in slack count. :-P

As such I was reading through the emulation thread and saw a lot of tools, but none that specifically are for creating new roms from scratch. Some Questions:
    Are there tools that can do this?
    Create from scratch a .GBA rom?
    Is it even worth attempting something like this?
    Would it be better to do a "Hack of <insert color>"

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    I have an Anime-Based rom idea that like others starts out in Pallet and proceeds through the episodes of the Anime, extending in expansions to the other regions etc.

There's a hack named Pokémon AshGray (Beta 3.5) that aims to make the Kanto and Orange Islands part of the anime (season 1 & 2) + the first and second movie. They've made Episode 1-95 (including banned episodes) + Pokémon the First Movie Mewtwo Strikes Back.
    There's 24 episodes + Pokémon the Movie 2000: The Power of One left and then it's completed.

Because of that I would suggest that you make the Johto part of the anime and later (season 3+).

As such I was reading through the emulation thread and saw a lot of tools, but none that specifically are for creating new roms from scratch. Some Questions:
    Are there tools that can do this?

RPG Maker XP is a program that is sometimes used for making Pokémon fan games. It's not a ROM hacking tool, just as the name says a game maker. It makes the game to an .exe file that is later packed up on the hard drive. You can make your game look like a main series Pokémon game with RPG Maker XP, but since that game wouldn't be a ROM hack it wouldn't be illeagal, as long as you don't use copyrighted music / other material. If you want some existing Pokémon music you could ask an artist to recreate it, then I think it'd be completely leagal

Some Pokémon fan games that have been created / are being created with RPG Maker XP are:
    Pokémon Orange Island Adventures
    Pokémon Lightning Yellow
    Pokemon Generation 0

There's also RPG Maker VX and RPG Maker VX Ace. I don't know what's different between these three programs, but judging by the name and price difference I think that RPG Maker VX is a lighter version of RPG Maker VX Ace. Trials of all three programs are available at https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back