• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I only play the classics

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Are there any "old school" gamers here, who prefer to play the older games? By older games I mean from the Playstation 2 and farther back. What are some of your favorite memories from back in the day? Also, what is your favorite older game and console?

My first console was the Nintendo 64 and it was my only console for a long time. I played the hell out of that thing with Pokemon Stadium 6, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and who knows what else. It was a great time!

Yukari

I love old games, retro games, etc. But I can't say I "Prefer" them. I just like good games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I love older games, but I'm not exclusive to them. I kind of just hop around to find stuff I like. My favorite consoles are N64, PS2, and Gamecube, for what it's worth. :)

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Definitely love replaying classics (and playing classics that I missed out on), but... There are always incredible games coming out constantly.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    I love going back and playing older games from time to time. I've finished the Megaman X games lots of times in the past few years mostly out of nostalgia and because they're just so fun. I replayed Final Fantasy Tactics Advance last year too, just to relive that game.

While I love older games, though, I don't really prefer them to newer games or anything. It's more that many games these days are part of a series that I didn't really get into back then (Uncharted, Far Cry, Tomb Raider, etc), and I don't really have the interest to get into them now.

My favourite older video game console is probably the PS2, and the GBA's really close! I spent most of my childhood just playing games on it like Kingdom Hearts 2, Suikoden III, and the GTA games. I remember waking up early before classes just to get some game time in.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I do prefer the old games. Not because I don't like to try the newest games, but because I like more the old games. I have always a little deception becuase it' not as good as the N64, Nes, Gamecube.. (In my opinion!! ) The old gameboy games... I miss these times..

pkmin3033

Considering how critical of modern games I am I'm surprised that I'm not more of a "classic" gamer, but I believe in giving everything a chance and not comparing something to a past title; I like to judge games based on their own merits. There are still plenty of great titles - some even better than what I enjoyed as a child - coming out, and I'd be remiss if I didn't try them just because they might not be as good as something I've played before.

As for some of my favourite classics...gawd, where do I start? Sonic 1 through to 3D, The Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Columns, Link's Awakening, Super Mario Land...I grew up with a Gameboy and a Mega Drive, so those are where most of my gems originate from. I didn't get to experience a lot of classic games that were on the SNES and PS1 etc until a lot later in life, so I don't really regard tem as classics.

I don't really think of the N64 as retro either - I didn't get one until I was about fourteen - but I do love Banjo Kazooie. MediEvil on the PS1 was amazing as well; that's one series that NEEDS to make a comeback. Anthropormophic platformers in general were all great back then...well, except for Spyro, anyway. Never did like Spyro.

TheBaconToastie

Through the Sea of Time
    Years
  • Classic/retro games were just new releases at one point and franchises like Final Fantasy had to start somewhere.

I'm a gamer so I'll continue to play new games... but sure - sometimes there's nothing better than the nostalgia of replaying an old classic and some of them have stood the test of time and are still very playable to this day (SMB3).

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
    Years
  • I enjoy all games, no matter when they were released. However, I'm partial to games that are nostalgic to me. My PS2, Sega Saturn, and Sega Dreamcast are still hooked up to my television set, along with a PS3 and PS4. I also have a Gamecube, NES, and most of Nintendo's mobile releases. The Dreamcast and Saturn games defined my childhood though, I played the hell out of "Sonic Adventure", "Crazy Taxi", "Grandia II", and Neversoft's "Spider-Man". I still jones for them, even after all these years.

Pokemon still holds a huge place in my heart, it was actually the first RPG I ever played. I still remember getting the original Red release when I wasn't any older than 10 years old. I replay that on an emulator once in a blue moon as well.

Goodness, talking about all of this nostalgia is bringing back a lot of good memories.

Saintscrew7

Helpful little Angel
    Years
  • Wow!
    I still play some of my old favorites:
    NES,SNES, GBA, GBC, N64. I have a cell jus for them.
    But I had a "crush" on Gran Turismo 2, until I tried GBA's Advance Wars 1 & 2.
    Maybe it's just the ones that put my mind at "Ease".

Saintscrew7

Helpful little Angel
    Years
  • Wow!
    I still play some of my old favorites:
    NES,SNES, GBA, GBC, N64. I have a cell jus for them.
    But I had a "crush" on Gran Turismo 2, until I tried GBA's Advance Wars 1 & 2.
    Maybe it's just the ones that put my mind at "Ease".

Forgot to mention... Te one that stole my heart was POKEMON YELLOW, the first game I bought.

TY

I like to play the very old C&C games (1995-1999), my entire childhood was stuck in those games for like 10 years and it's still going on ; - ;

Old habits die hard

Back