• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I own a TV, I'm rich!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2010
    Well... I got a magazine from pastor, and well, one article caught my eye.

It basically wanted people to realize that your poverty probably isn't as bad as you think.

Examples:

If you own at least one TV, you're richer than more than 99 percent of Tanzania.

If you own a cell phone, you're richer than 70 percent of Honduras.

If you go to the Movie Theater at least once a year, you are richer than at least of Turkey.

If you have access to at least one motor vehicle, you are richer than most of Madagascar.

and

If your monthly bills(+expenses) average out to more than $10 US dollars, you are among the richest 20 percent of people in the world.

What are your views on these figures?

I personally think it is really horrible. I know a lot of people who have all those things... and well.. people pity them because they can't get the coolest, and best things when they want.. but should they really?

Years
  • These statistics seemed to not be skewed [Tanzania is pretty dead-on]. Not too keen on the Turkey one, though.

And it's nice to see someone who appreciates what they have. I think other people in America should, too amongst the recession.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • Well, I'm not sure if I believe it after I read the part about Turkey...

But I do agree with the message. I see so many kids whining about how their parents are 'mean' because they haven't bought them such-an-such new item. Be happy for what you have already!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2010
    Hm.. I did a little research. What I found isn't really recent, so it might have, and probably has changed since they did the research.

In the last two years, increasing numbers of working people have found themselves in a state of exhaustion and desperation. Monthly income for an average low-income family varies between TL 200 million ($ 20) and TL 500 million ($300). Almost half, or 48 percent, of Turkey's population belongs to this low-income category while their share of the national income is only 32.5 percent.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2010
    Yeah. But.. even if Turkey doesn't check out.. everything else does.. soo 4/5 ain't bad.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • TV ownership is not directly proportional to a country's overall wealth.

A great example of this is Brazil. The people of Brazil are football mad. Almost every household has a TV in order to watch the football, regardless of wealth.

Ayselipera

When you live in a country that doesn't have mass amounts of poverty you view whatever wealth people have around you as the norm. I know that I myself tend to forget about all the poverty in the world when I see "that new item" come out. When you don't see something like that outside your back door everyday I suppose it just drifts off into the back of your head. This is not to say I don't care about the poor people living in our world, I'm just saying in a normal day it slips my mind. Which is terrible I know. :(

Back