• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I promise...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    After debating with a friend this topic came up...

Do you keep your promises? Do you think promises are worth anything? Are some promises more important than others? Have you ever had an important promise to you broken? Have you ever done the same to another person?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I keep my promises no matter what.

That has been my #1 rule in my life, and I've rarely broken it. If I promise something to a friend, family member or someone close, and/or I say "I promise..." I keep it, and in some cases, I fulfill it. I will become devastated when I can't fulfill a promise I kept, not only it'll hurt me, but it will hurt the person as well.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • [SIZE="a"]I don't make alot of promises cause I tend to be forgetful. I usually say "I'll get it done or it will happen eventually". That said, alot of people haven't made me promises and when they did they usually kept them. I think I've had one it two times where someone promised they do something and they completely forget about it but it eventually happens.[/SIZE]

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I'm not really a promise guy. Half of the time I forget about keeping promises, but I always remember if someone promised me something. But I do keep my promises sometimes, when it really matters to me. I'm a bit of a d*ck when it comes to keeping promises lol.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I try as hard as I can to fulfill a promise. I don't make promises unless they mean something to me, so they are worth a lot. They're like bonds of trust. And a promise is a promise, they're all of the same value. It's your word and you have to do it, even if you don't think it means much.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    I never make promises. I just say that I'll see what I can do or if it happens, it happens, or something along that.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Once I make a promise I keep it. Period.

I don't make too many of them though since I prefer to be lazy for the most part.

Kae Kyo

you're like oxygen to me.
    Years
  • When I do make promises, I try as hard as I possibly can to keep a promise. Because I know if someone were to make a promise to me, I'd want them to keep it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I try my best to keep a promise, and, for the most part, I succeed in not breaking them. I back out of those promises on a few occasions, but I go back to keeping it soon after.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I think being able to keep your word is very important. Having the trust of others is a valuable asset, so I try to keep promises if at all possible, and if I can't, I always explain why, rather than just pretending I never made the promise.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • i always keep my promises. i never promise anything that i know i cannot fulfil.
    although, i must admit, there was one promise i broke, and that was a promise to my mother: i promised her that i wouldn't look at my birth certificate (which contained the name of my unknown, biological father), but i did [look at it]. of course, it's terrible that i broke my promise and all that, but i felt that this matter really concerned me more than her, and even if she did find out, it would never impact her at all unless i do something about it (i.e. like try looking for him), so i had felt that, in a sense, it was a minor offence.

Years
  • I don't make too many promises. When I do, I try my best to fulfill them. Sometimes I fail, though, because I'm human. I think that's why I don't tend to make promises, or if I do, I'm like "I'll try my best" instead of "omg I promise cross my heart and hope to die".

If someone broke one with me, depending on what it is, I'd be indifferent to angry. Small ones? Whatever. Big ones? Not as easy to forgive, but I probably would eventually.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I actually can't remember the last time I was put in a situation where I had to promise something, or when I made someone promise me something. But when they do, I always try to keep them. If it's a big deal it's not always possible, but I definitely do my best.

That was a vague and generic answer but nothing in my life is really interesting enough that I have to make promises on a regular basis haha

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I don't make a lot of promises, but when I do, I will keep them. The one thing I don't like is when people don't keep their promises. I take them pretty seriously haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't make a lot of promises. They're rare. I only make them if I'm absolutely 100% sure I can keep them. The few I do make are usually related to keeping information about someone a secret. That's really it. I don't like promises being made to me, because almost every important promise that's been made to me was broken. Sure, I believe there are people that can keep them, but when someone starts to say they promise something, I just tell them not to promise me anything.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • I tend to avoid breaking a promise, for I always get hurt if somebody doesn't keep their's. They mean a lot to me, and whether they are responsible or not.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I make every attempt to keep my promises, and if I can't (sometimes things do come up, after all), I'm going to be up front with why I couldn't. I don't like having people break promises they made to me, and I certainly wouldn't want to do the same to others.

Back