• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I put you in a DROUGHT when you try to ice me out

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I haven't made a RMT here in years. omfg. Here we go.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
    Ability: Drought
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic

The cornerstone of any sun team is the infamous Torkoal. Though it's dropped on the tiering rung due to the recent power creep (or should I say, power leap), Torkoal remains a force to be reckoned with in the OU metagame. Its absurd physical bulk and dreadful speed allow it to harass most other weather setters fairly easily. It can also easily stay in on Excadrill and threaten it with Lava Plume, which has a chance to even provide the KO through Focus Sash. Torkoal's only real purpose is to set sun and possibly rocks. It really only needs to do so 1-3 times throughout a match, so I don't bother much with trying to keep Torkoal healthy. If it eats a Toxic, no big deal. If it has to take a stray Liquidation or Earthquake, fine. It's great support for my sun wallbreakers, Venusaur and Charizard. Torkoal is infinitely preferred to Ninetales due to its litany of support moves that Ninetales simply cannot keep up with. Once Torkoal has provided enough sun turns for my team to close out the deal, it sacrifices itself graciously.

Pheromosa @ Choice Band
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Close Combat
    - Triple Axel
    - Rapid Spin

Pheromosa is a nice insurance piece for additional rapid spin support and speed control. Charizard mandates a more reliable spinner than Torkoal, which is reserved for sun support and death fodder. Pheromosa can spin against most of the tier due to its extremely high speed, and fears only Regieleki (what a god forsaken monstrosity that is). Triple Axel isn't terribly reliable but it can provide some support by taking on bulky ground types like Garchomp. U-Turn is, as always, great momentum to help get Charizard or Venusaur in on the switches Pheromosa tends to force. Close Combat can help out with Pokemon like Heatran that make a mess of the lovely Charizard.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Solar Power
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Overheat
    - Weather Ball
    - Air Slash
    - Solar Beam

Total nuke. With the sun blazing, this thing manages to 2HKO even Blissey with Weather Ball. Overheat can push massive damage on even bulky resists like Tapu Fini, and KO's pretty much any neutral target from full. The synergy between Charizard and Venusaur is simply stunning. Charizard easily wrecks even the bulkiest stall teams under sun, while Venusaur can patch up Charizard's decent but not spectacular speed.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Modest Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Growth
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Weather Ball

Pretty much this team's only prayer against Regieleki, and it either needs sun or full HP to do so. Venusaur is a phenomenal sun sweeper, and threatens a massive chunk of the metagame with these three moves. Ferrothorn and Rillaboom stand no prayer against it. I honestly have to be very bold with my Growth predictions, as Venusaur has a hard time forcing things out that don't KO it back if Venusaur goes for the Growth and they decide to stay in. It totally ravages most of the tier alongside Charizard.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Teleport
    - Soft-Boiled

Blissey on hyper offense? This gen of OU is bizarre for sure. Blissey works excellently as a specially defensive pivot with Teleport. This allows Blissey to switch in on a predicted Toxic or Thunder Wave, Teleport out, and give Venusaur/Charizard a free switch. This can be game breaking when done once, but when done several times throughout a match provides Charizard and Venusaur with way more defensive prowess than they could ever muster on their own. Thunder Wave and Seismic Toss are nice, but very situational. This Blissey set spams Teleport and grabs a Soft-boiled when feasible. It helps against non-Sub CM Spectrier and Regieleki without Thunder Cage.

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
    Ability: Psychic Surge
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Moonblast
    - Energy Ball

An oddball pick but hear me out: my team is weak as shit to priority. This Tapu Lele set doesn't accomplish much other than keeping those Sucker Punches and Shadow Sneaks at bay. It can provide a nice switch-in to predicted fighting-type moves as well, and easily protects the team against the antics of Urshifu-Single Strike.

Sirfetch’d

Venusaur would probably appreciate earth power over giga drain. You are completely walled by heatran otherwise and I don't think giga drain hits anything notable. I do like this team though

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Venusaur would probably appreciate earth power over giga drain. You are completely walled by heatran otherwise and I don't think giga drain hits anything notable. I do like this team though

I'll definitely give Earth Power a try. Giga Drain is helpful for longevity though, which is why I left Heatran duty to Pheromosa. I might try Earth Power over Sludge Bomb first, then give it a try over Giga Drain.

Years
  • Venusaur would probably appreciate earth power over giga drain. You are completely walled by heatran otherwise and I don't think giga drain hits anything notable. I do like this team though

Agree with this, Earth Power means Heatran doesn't murder you and also Sludge Bomb/Earth Power can deal with Regieleki easily. Venusaur can switch into almost all of Regieleki's options, taking a potential OHKO from Explosion in which case it's dead anyway. You COULD even swap out Sludge Bomb actually, as that's mostly going to be dealing with Grass/Fairy types which most of them are dealt with by Weather Ball/Giga Drain anyway.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Agree with this, Earth Power means Heatran doesn't murder you and also Sludge Bomb/Earth Power can deal with Regieleki easily. Venusaur can switch into almost all of Regieleki's options, taking a potential OHKO from Explosion in which case it's dead anyway. You COULD even swap out Sludge Bomb actually, as that's mostly going to be dealing with Grass/Fairy types which most of them are dealt with by Weather Ball/Giga Drain anyway.

I missed this response before. Thanks for the feedback. I agree that Earth Power could be slotted over either STAB move.

Back