• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: "I second this" option for posts

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I find that a lot of times I agree with what someone else has posted and don't really need to respond myself. However, I'd like people to know that I supported that answer. This happens a lot in C&T when somebody asks a question and there are different answers. A lot of times the best answer is hidden amongst a number of other comments that either aren't answers or aren't very good answers.

EDIT: Since some people are misunderstanding, I am suggesting an "agree" option only, not a disagree. Please read my further comments below for more information.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I second this (haha, but no joke I do), it would be easier instead of posting again, when you could just "Like" the answer or give "Thumbs up" or "Thumbs Down".

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    There are post comments for that, though. The last thing we need to do is to Facebookize PC.

twocows

Years
    There are post comments for that, though. The last thing we need to do is to Facebookize PC.
    Post comments aren't public and they're not displayed anywhere in the thread. Someone looking for an answer to a question wouldn't be able to see a post with a bunch of agrees and jump right to the answer.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I find that a lot of times I agree with what someone else has posted and don't really need to respond myself. However, I'd like people to know that I supported that answer. This happens a lot in C&T when somebody asks a question and there are different answers. A lot of times the best answer is hidden amongst a number of other comments that either aren't answers or aren't very good answers.

We aren't Facebook. This is a forum, where one shares their opinions with others, telling someone you agree isn't good enough, we want details on why you feel a certain way.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    am just testing hi hi hi hi

Don't do that. If you'd have read the rules, you'd know you were spamming and being useless.

Post comments aren't public and they're not displayed anywhere in the thread. Someone looking for an answer to a question wouldn't be able to see a post with a bunch of agrees and jump right to the answer.

I like this idea, but it's way too similar to the rep system we used to have. I've thought of an idea like this before, but akin to the "Thumbs Up/Down" that YouTube now uses. The only problem with that is that, just like rep, people abuse it. It'd be nice if it could function properly and people didn't get so uptight if they got neg rep/thumb(s)/etc. and if it didn't get abused, but unfortunately for PC, that's impossible.

I know I don't always have a comment to give if I agree and nobody wants to see fifty "I agree with you" posts, but... good idea. If we could find a way to keep things balanced and fair, it'd be a nice little addition. Just too bad PC members (not everyone) can't handle it.

twocows

Years
    We aren't Facebook. This is a forum, where one shares their opinions with others, telling someone you agree isn't good enough, we want details on why you feel a certain way.
    Never used Facebook, so I wouldn't know anything about that. Sometimes there really isn't anything more to say other than "I agree," and filler isn't really going to change that.

Don't do that. If you'd have read the rules, you'd know you were spamming and being useless.

I like this idea, but it's way too similar to the rep system we used to have. I've thought of an idea like this before, but akin to the "Thumbs Up/Down" that YouTube now uses. The only problem with that is that, just like rep, people abuse it. It'd be nice if it could function properly and people didn't get so uptight if they got neg rep/thumb(s)/etc. and if it didn't get abused, but unfortunately for PC, that's impossible.

I know I don't always have a comment to give if I agree and nobody wants to see fifty "I agree with you" posts, but... good idea. If we could find a way to keep things balanced and fair, it'd be a nice little addition. Just too bad PC members (not everyone) can't handle it.
    I think the problem with the rep system was that (a) it was tied to a user's profile, not just to a single post, and (b) you could downvote. This led to a lot of drama. Without the tie to the profile, ego isn't really a problem, and there shouldn't be any reason to downvote, as the only valid reasons I can think of are already reportable. I think the anonymity factor also led to abuse of the system.

Zet

Years
    Another forum I go to is facepunch, and it has little buttons to agree, disagree, funny, dumb, bad spelling, etc and I think it's incredibly handy if you don't want to see 500 comments saying "I agree with x on this matter, also lol". So I would like to see something like this to be done to PC.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I think the anonymity factor also led to abuse of the system.

The mods could still see who posted, anonymous or not. Because of it, a lot of flame wars were avoided and what not.

That aside:

I would like to see a system like this, but what is proposed is too similar to rep. We *cough* Spey *cough* (as a whole) couldn't handle it, so it was removed. People would find a way to complain even if it was just the ability to
    "like" posts. I also think that what Yuoaman said is right. You want to say more than just "I agree." Why do you agree?

twocows

Years

The mods could still see who posted, anonymous or not. Because of it, a lot of flame wars were avoided and what not.

That aside:

I would like to see a system like this, but what is proposed is too similar to rep. We *cough* Spey *cough* (as a whole) couldn't handle it, so it was removed. People would find a way to complain even if it was just the ability to
    "like" posts. I also think that what Yuoaman said is right. You want to say more than just "I agree." Why do you agree?
    Like I said, this would be especially useful in C&T. If the question is "Where can I find StaxRip?" and the answer is here, there's really not much more to say.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    No, Narcissus. Not the S word :(

This system actually seems interesting. I would like something like this implemented. And I don't think this will turn PC into Facebook or something. Just for some convenience.

If there was a bar at the bottom so we could chat with friends on PC then that's when I'd consider some serious changes...

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Honestly, a "Helpful Answer" button would be nice to have, even if it only appeared in certain sections of the forum. As long as we didn't add any sort of negative values to it, it could hardly be of any harm.

That being said, the post itself would show how many people rated it helpful, but that's it.

That being said, we could place a "Helpful Answers" total on the statistics tab of the profile and that would be that. This number wouldn't be appearing in posts...just their profile, and the number could be kept private so that only you and the staff can see your total number of helpful posts. (Seriously, this would be a godsend in CQ&F and hopefully cut back on posts repeating the same solution over and over again.)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Another forum I go to is facepunch, and it has little buttons to agree, disagree, funny, dumb, bad spelling, etc and I think it's incredibly handy if you don't want to see 500 comments saying "I agree with x on this matter, also lol". So I would like to see something like this to be done to PC.

Does facepunch have many immature little kids?

Didn't think so.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    This is a horrible idea.

Not only is it pointless, but it would probably slow down poke Community more than it already is.

That is what "quotes" are for, but only you can use them to be for or against the post.

And let's not forget the poll option in threads.

And nobody's gonna pay attention to some number beside a post with this many for it and this many against it.

I for one, am against this disgrace of an idea.

P.S, besides in the Help threads and Community questions, where else would you need a "Helpful Answer" thing?

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Seriously, immature kids or not, I think if we implement the system properly, there can be no possible drama from it. (See my post)

This is a horrible idea.

Not only is it pointless, but it would probably slow down poke Community more than it already is.

That is what "quotes" are for, but only you can use them to be for or against the post.

And nobody's gonna pay attention to some number beside a post with this many for it and this many against it.

Considering your post, I can tell you really didn't read any of the other posts here, nor did you really understand the OP's intentions.
    Considering your join date, lack of signature and other things... I don't think you've been around quite long enough to understand how useful this idea would be.

Zet

Years
    This is a horrible idea.

P.S, besides in the Help threads and Community questions, where else would you need a "Helpful Answer" thing?
    I don't think you understand how a forum/server works.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    This is why I suggested a strictly THUMBS UP ONLY system, which essentially fits what the OP wants anyways. No negative scores would be tracked, only positive scores if the post was helpful, or is something you simply agree to. Each post starts at 0 and works it's way up.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Well just think how slow it would make P. community, each time a person clicked that button? And time that by least 10 per minute.

It's unessicary and it's not happening.

And Pachy, I have been here, I actually have other accounts.

I hate signatures and anybody who has them, just asking for too much attention if you ask me, and I hate little prissy's like you who think they know more about someone than the actual person knows.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    What if I disagree with the point of a post? There'd be absolutely no point in adding pluses if you can't have negatives.

This is also going back to reputation. Some people would just + rep their friends so they can watch their pretty bars grow. What if the same thing happened here? What if you thumbs up a person over and over(if possible) and get friends to do it?

The point is that there's no REAL(if rarely) honest criticism coming from the person rating the post. It's mostly just favoritism or something along those lines.

Well blame the easily butthurt n00bs who can't take a negative point. The post comment system is the way it is because of them anyways. We simply could use this system so that if a question is already aptly answered, we don't have to post in and such. This is especially true in forums other than CQ&F where the best answer is not so easily seen in a thread full of different answers.

There would be no "bars" in the postbit, and the number in the statistics would be private, only you and staff could see your number. (in my suggestion of this implementation)

Well just think how slow it would make P. community, each time a person clicked that button? And time that by least 10 per minute.

It's unessicary and it's not happening.

And Pachy, I have been here, I actually have other accounts.

I hate signatures and anybody who has them, just asking for too much attention if you ask me, and I hate little prissy's like you who think they know more about someone than the actual person knows.

I don't believe ya to be honest, your style matches no one I know. Ya might want to prove it, but from what I can see from your profile, even if you have a previous account, I doubt you pull your head out of the trading/wifi section to really understand. Not to mention, your grammar and such are so obviously poor that you couldn't possibly be a veteran of the community. At most you might have a year under your belt, and that doesn't really qualify your argument if you've just been trading and battling all year.

(Seriously, the VMs you get say a lot about you)

Last edited:
    Back