• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I seriously hate the walking evolution mechanic

Years
  • I swear i wish pokemon added a step count meter or something for the pokemon that evolve via walking in general like im trying to evolve pawmo and it's ridiculous

Years
  • ??

with all due respect this sounds like impatience to me. 1000 steps seems like a lot and idk it probably is, but i'd imagine that it's the equivalent of having your pokemon out in the field for a few hours? idk i don't see how this is that frustrating imo

Years
  • It's cause i don't know how many steps is like 1000 for the pokemon alone like i'm trying to get the dex done at this point but without something to know how many steps ive taken - i won't be able to tell how much more i need for it to evolve (for context i am autistic and i get frustrated very easily)

Sorry if i do sound impatient it's just i hate that i have no indication for it because maths is not my strong suit at all - i have to guess and guessing 1000 steps is legit difficult for me

Update: OK I FIGURD PUT I HAD TO USE THE TILE THING FROM PORTO MARIANDA!! MY BAD!!

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • While 1000 can be a lot although I think it is less than an egg, I can understand the frustration. When you have a pokemon following you, if you get too far away, they automatically return to their ball, which makes it very annoying, especially since they don't have an increased speed. So every few second, you have to send your pokemon back out or wait for them to catch up.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • For frustrated people, just use crotch and then walk in circle for like 5 minutes.

Years
  • Just for comparison;

-for a pseudo egg to hatch: 10,240 steps.
    -With a Pokemon that has an ability that cuts egg steps in half: 5.120 steps, which is still 5 times as much.

-Zigzagoon base egg steps: 3,840
    -With a Pokemon that has an ability that cuts egg steps in half: 1.920 steps, which is almost twice as much.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It actually isn't that bad if you just go to a spawn-free area like a town and hold both circle sticks down to ride around in a circle. Took me no more than 3-4 minutes doing it that way, much quicker! Some people said they went behind an object (like a bench) and their Pokémon kept running into it to get to them. Easy option if you literally don't want to do anything haha.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2023
    While eggs do take more steps to hatch all you have to do is keep them in your party and if you have a Pokémon with the flamebody ability it speeds the hatching process up. Having to walk Pokémon to evolve is an interesting idea, but when you have to go slow because of the draw distance between you and the said Pokémon is short it gets boring very quickly. I am not opposed to this evolution method but there needs to be a way to track how many steps the Pokémon has walked.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2023
    Ok I just spent 40 minutes irl with Rellor walking nonstop and I leveled him up and he did not evolve. For those who may ask how I managed to keep him walking. I called him out and jumped on to the top of the Poke center and got him to run in circles. That is all I have done for 3 hours irl. I have leveled Rellor from 15 to 35 and I should have had him evolve already. What gives anyone have an idea. If not it glitched I am unable to evolve Rellor.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Ok I just spent 40 minutes irl with Rellor walking nonstop and I leveled him up and he did not evolve. For those who may ask how I managed to keep him walking. I called him out and jumped on to the top of the Poke center and got him to run in circles. That is all I have done for 3 hours irl. I have leveled Rellor from 15 to 35 and I should have had him evolve already. What gives anyone have an idea. If not it glitched I am unable to evolve Rellor.

You must be the one to take 1,000 steps with your Pokémon, not the Pokémon itself.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    i honestly don't mind this method at all. having the ride pokemon from the beginning makes it simple.

honestly pick a big city and run through it until you think you hit the mark, save your game and level it up. if it doesn't work just reset and keep going until it does. be sure you're using the lets go feature and not just walking around with it just in your party.

It actually isn't that bad if you just go to a spawn-free area like a town and hold both circle sticks down to ride around in a circle. Took me no more than 3-4 minutes doing it that way, much quicker! Some people said they went behind an object (like a bench) and their Pokémon kept running into it to get to them. Easy option if you literally don't want to do anything haha.

i've seen this as well. someone went on top of a pokemon center and this happened. can't remember which city though lol.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    There's a method of doing this by using a koraidon or miradion and jump on the roof of pokemon center, I believe it was the electric type gym or streamer town.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Just do three laps around Porto Marinada and it should be enough. Make sure to slow down once in a while so your Pokémon doesn't despawn.

Reaper21c

Reaper21c Always looking for new friends & to help
    Years
  • If the pokemon returns to its ball due to moving too fast or any reason that causes it to return, a reason it would take longer to have it work? I didnt know it was a impact on the process, knowing this will is a big help and makes things much less frustrating.

THANK YOU!

Years
  • If you have a rubber band - or in my case, one band from a disposable (and un-used) face-mask! - you can wrap it around the analog sticks on your controller (or if you're using the holder for the joy-cons). It locks both the player and the camera into rotation if you do it right, and you can just sit back for 5-10 minutes, then level-up and boom! Evolution time!

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • If the pokemon returns to its ball due to moving too fast or any reason that causes it to return, a reason it would take longer to have it work? I didnt know it was a impact on the process, knowing this will is a big help and makes things much less frustrating.

THANK YOU!

Mine went back into the ball several times and I re-summoned it and after three laps of the auction house city, I was still able to evolve without any issues. Just save before you give it a Rare Candy and you won't waste your time at all.

It's my guess that it counts total walk time and not all 1000 steps in one go.

Back