• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I think an old Hobby is going down the drain..

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    Hey guys, Jake here, I know it's weird that I just joined yesterday and I'm already posting a thread like this.. Also, to the mods, if this is in the wrong section, please move it.

Okay, so this is what I'm talking about, I have been playing Pokemon ever since I was four, it was the second Generation, and I enjoyed it so much as a youngster. As the years went by, I liked it even more, when Sapphire came out, and then Diamond and Pearl came, I liked that too. But now, I'm not too fond of it. So now that I'm getting older, it feels as if it's wearing off, but, thing is, I don't want it to. I love Pokemon, and I have loved it for a long time, I have so many memories of it, because it was my only friend when I was young, so why do I feel like this? I don't know if I should give up for good, or just take a break, get my mind off of it, because when I do that, then maybe I will be able to come back when I'm ready, this is a tough decision and I thought it would be a good idea to post it here to see if you guys have felt like this before, all help is appreciated, thanks.
    Jake. :)

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    Hey guys, Jake here, I know it's weird that I just joined yesterday and I'm already posting a thread like this.. Also, to the mods, if this is in the wrong section, please move it.

Okay, so this is what I'm talking about, I have been playing Pokemon ever since I was four, it was the second Generation, and I enjoyed it so much as a youngster. As the years went by, I liked it even more, when Sapphire came out, and then Diamond and Pearl came, I liked that too. But now, I'm not too fond of it. So now that I'm getting older, it feels as if it's wearing off, but, thing is, I don't want it to. I love Pokemon, and I have loved it for a long time, I have so many memories of it, because it was my only friend when I was young, so why do I feel like this? I don't know if I should give up for good, or just take a break, get my mind off of it, because when I do that, then maybe I will be able to come back when I'm ready, this is a tough decision and I thought it would be a good idea to post it here to see if you guys have felt like this before, all help is appreciated, thanks.
    Jake. :)

I feel u I do. I wuz 13-14 when I got my Blue Version a lil after it came out. I wuz hooked beyond words lol, even more so when original Gold Version came out. But in '02-'03 I started growin outta it I guess. In '04 I graduated High School and went on to do me. But THE OPPOSITE/REVERSE of wut happening 2 u happening 2 me.

This my Pkmn Renaissance. I started watchin some abridged versions of the original series, then some movie promos, then most the movies since "4EVER". B4 I knew it my craving wuz bac and the lil kid in me won out. I remember now how awesome, and addictive Pkmn is lol, and I decided I'm definitely gettin a DS and Platinum. So bout 7.5 years later I'm pickin up my Pokeballs again lol.

The same may happen 2 u, like u loose interest 4 a bit, but then get ya 2nd wind, feel me? We all different tho. Help this helps.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    The feel of the new series is turning me off; it's not fictional enough anymore. Its charm died as the series went on.

It might return, but for now, you might just feel sick of it. I love Pokemon. I love Ragnarok. Lately, though, I can't see myself attached or liking either. A normal thing, really.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    because it was my only friend when I was young

If you're talking like that then yeah, you probably need a break. You need more in your life than just Pokemon, or any one thing; focus too much on one thing and it'll get old, it's not fulfilling.

Pokemon can't fill your voids.

It's okay to take breaks; I get an itch to play Pokemon for months straight, and then it kind of goes away for a few months. No one is going to judge you. It's just a hobby.

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
    Pokemon was absolutely magical to me as a kid. It was a delight to get to train them and exciting to see what they'd evolve into next. I played Pokemon Red until I had nothing more to accomplish.

The announcements of Gold/Silver had me freaking out. New Pokemon, regions, and features? God yes! I thought the majority of the new Pokemon looked great and really felt like I was playing something special.

Then came more new games with more new Pokemon... Saw the pictures, heard about the new features, and had zero interest. I want to raise Pokemon, not enter them in contests. Also, the newer designs looked awful to me and uninspired.

For a few years now I haven't played Pokemon but started again after I was cleaning my room and came across Red in a drawer. I decided to purchase Gold, which I'm now waiting for, and I'm considering Black or White just since it's been so long since I bought a new chapter in the series.

You tend to get attached to things that you experienced as a kid. When those things are changed the nostalgia and familiarities fade, thus hindering your experience.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Pokemon, for me, is something that brings in a sort of "ultimate nostalgia", because I spent so much time with it as a kid, staying up late playing it when I just really started staying up late, sneaking it into school, all that jazz. I essentially truly grew up with Pokemon! Some Pokemon are near and dear to me simply because they were involved with me growing up. Imagine! Having true blue feeling for fictional arrangements of pixels on a gaming system... isn't that amazing, psychologically?

The newer versions I enjoy, and play, but it's when I crack out the original Crystal or Yellow (or even FireRed and LeafGreen do it for me, because they're verbatim remakes) that I just have to smile, and for a while, no matter what's going on in my life, everything is okay, while I play it.

Nostalgia... it's a weird drug, eh?

Years
    I've actually come back into it after kind of a long hiatus.. but I was never really a poke-maniac. The game came out a little too late for me when RBY was brand new, so it's really been more or less a cool thing to do when your on a trip somewhere.

I mostly came back because I actually like the game play and being able to do a lot more with it.. and watching Youtube matches and taking ques really get my ideas rolling for an ultimate team.. (when ever I have time, anyway.. I do a lot of things) plus there's a lot of nostalga for me and some of the old G1s.. it really was heartbreaking that all the time I spent raising my GB team, and I couldn't bring them into the GBA era.. I think that was one of the reasons I quit playing for awhile.. a long, looong while.

livelyhans

Verdanturf Town Trainer
    Years
    hmm.. this will dig a lot of my memories... the first Pokemon game that i'm played is Silver Version... on my Game Boy Color...actually i've tried Yellow version once.. but i dunno why i don't like it.. we can just hear a really sounds from Pikachu... and i'm laughed weirdly when heard Rattata's sounds like : "sgraanggss..!!" hahaha.... so i just take a break from Pokemon game... and waited for the Silver version... and i loved it..!!!i've played em 15hours a day.. until i meet Red...after that.. i don't know what to do....but the weird is.. i don't want any species from 2G...years after years... i've tasted Ruby version... and i meet a lot of my lovely Partner!!( after Bulbasaur and Growlithe...)after that.. okay.. try new Leaf Green and what else..?? then i come into Pearl version....it's good.. i love it too.. i meet my Gallade in Sinnoh...and upnext....is Black or White version!!!! i'll add to my-list named "To Do"..

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    When I said it was my only friend, that was when I was around four years of age, so I didn't have a chance to meet any friends, but now I have friends, I am always doing things with them, and in my free time, I play Pokemon, but lately, that hasn't been happening as much because I think I need a little break. Trust me, people around my school don't like Pokemon, a couple kids here and there play it, but they are not "geeks" because your not a geek when you play it. I have told my friends that I play it, and have played it, and they all laughed, well, one of them did, the others didn't really care, and I knew one of them plays it too, just not as much.

Years
    Really? Start hanging out with girls, then. Girls love Pokemon. All my friends that are girls love it, and they're not geeks either. So it's actually really easy to find people that are into it. You just have to know how.

How old are you, curious? If you're my age [college], then you'll find it easier to find people into it. College kids are really into that stuff. If you're in middle school, well, that explains why you haven't found anybody [middle schoolers are *******s]. If you're in High School it's somewhere in the middle. When I was in High School I had to pay attention to what the people around me were like, but once I found a couple people into Pokemon, it was easy going from there. I had three or four Poke-Players at my house every day! It was a blast.

Tip: If your school has tech theatre, sign up. It's where the geeks seem to congregate. Also, chess clubs are good places too.

I think finding real life friends to share your hobby with will make it much more fun and you won't even need to consciously think about things like "what if I get bored of it?" Nomsayin'?

Charizard3

Champion
    Years
    well my first ever pokemon game was silver, got it when i was 4. i still now play hg, ss, and plat a lot, but i had a pearl version for about 2 weeks and i lost it. then i went 2 years without playin pokemon, and then got platinum. i think that i had that feeling before, and that a lot less people in my school still play (i only know of 5), so it makes me really sad to see the memories of gens 2 and 3 (wasnt even born when red and blue came out) fade away. Black and white will be ok, but the names black and white just prove that nintendo is running out of ideas. maybe they should hand over pokemon to trayarch (lol). just kidding, but still, nintendo needs to do something to make pokemon better. last i checked, pokemon was surrounded by trees, not skyscrapers. anyway, i definitely know how u feel.

Charizard3

Champion
    Years
    Pokemon, for me, is something that brings in a sort of "ultimate nostalgia", because I spent so much time with it as a kid, staying up late playing it when I just really started staying up late, sneaking it into school, all that jazz. I essentially truly grew up with Pokemon! Some Pokemon are near and dear to me simply because they were involved with me growing up. Imagine! Having true blue feeling for fictional arrangements of pixels on a gaming system... isn't that amazing, psychologically?

The newer versions I enjoy, and play, but it's when I crack out the original Crystal or Yellow (or even FireRed and LeafGreen do it for me, because they're verbatim remakes) that I just have to smile, and for a while, no matter what's going on in my life, everything is okay, while I play it.

Nostalgia... it's a weird drug, eh?
    i dont know why people hate it, but fire red and leaf green were amazing. ruby and sapphire, not so much. that really summarizes gen 3.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
    I have been playing pokemon since i was 5 years of age and i feel the same as you do. as i have been getting older, pokemon has been slowly decreasing intrest for me. I love pokemon and i always will regardless whether i grow out of it or not and i feel your the same way to. Just tell yourself that and dont worry, if you really love pokemon, you wont ever trully grow out of it. For me, i have been feeling that pokemon has maybe lost its meaning as well as the sense of creativeness. I mean now there are inanimate objects as pokemon like the lawn mower pokemon and robot pokemon etc. Just my opinion though, a lot of people would disagree with me but im not afraid of expressing myself and my opinions. thanks for your time ^.^

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Really? Start hanging out with girls, then. Girls love Pokemon. All my friends that are girls love it, and they're not geeks either. So it's actually really easy to find people that are into it. You just have to know how.

How old are you, curious? If you're my age [college], then you'll find it easier to find people into it. College kids are really into that stuff. If you're in middle school, well, that explains why you haven't found anybody [middle schoolers are *******s]. If you're in High School it's somewhere in the middle. When I was in High School I had to pay attention to what the people around me were like, but once I found a couple people into Pokemon, it was easy going from there. I had three or four Poke-Players at my house every day! It was a blast.

Tip: If your school has tech theatre, sign up. It's where the geeks seem to congregate. Also, chess clubs are good places too.

I think finding real life friends to share your hobby with will make it much more fun and you won't even need to consciously think about things like "what if I get bored of it?" Nomsayin'?

Also the Literary Magazine/ Creative Writing Club (If your school has one). At my High School, everyone in it plays pokemon a lot/ watches the anime/ draws the characters.

If you can find friends who know what your talking about when you throw out names like porygon-z and piplup, then that might make pokemon in general more fun (as Storm Parakaitz said). I love getting into a argument with my friend about which pokemon is better and other similar things.

I think I had pretty much the same thing happen to me as to you except my first game was FireRed. I loved the game! Then I got Emerald, and I still haven't beaten it. Next was Diamond and I raced through the story, but grew tired of the game and started only using as a sort-of box to hold my 'mons, but not really doing anything with them. I skipped Platinum and got SoulSilver. Mostly because I have no time to play, I'm still making my way through the game. I really like playing it, but in short bursts. Video games just get really boring to me after playing them for an hour or so. To keep my interest, I play in small parts or take a break for a while. It's OK to do that. If you truly love something, taking a break from it won't destroy how you feel, it may strengthen it.

P.S. I've also found that if I want to do something pokemon related, but not the video game, collecting the cards or watching the anime works (or getting distracted on here forever, but...)

whodathunk

Smity Smithers VII
    Years
    i know water u mean it was happening to me but thenn i found this site and ev training and trading kept me going till hg/ss came out. i started playing when i was 6 or 7 with the original blue version. i'm 16 and i dont do the cards and movies anymore (even though i still have them!) but no matter how hard i might try i wouldn't b able to quit (and i dont want to!) i thought i was through after diamond, i actually didn't play for about half a year. then those darn speculations started popping up about gold/silver remakes. once i saw it on serebii i was once again hooked, searching the internet and any other place i could get info about the games. then finally, they came out. and they release the games to the U.S marketability right around my birthday lucky 4 me. i played it constantly for about a week 1/2 and i had defeated the elite 4+ the champion, something i had done many times before but the feeling of that accomplishment was still worth it. several days later the mighty kanto had fallen as well. then the champion of all champions, red, with the highest level of any in-game pokemon. total victory. then a couple weeks ago, more speculation. the 5th generation, black and white, were shortly after confirmed by the coracora scan. as long as they dont stop making the games, i'll always come back for more!

Last edited:

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
    Since you seem to be growing away from the games but also do not want to...

Easiest solution to your problem is to:

A) Stay away from the games for a while until you can no longer stand it and then play to your heart's content.

B) Buy a different game and play it for a while, over and over until you get bored and then return to the Pokemon games afresh when you've forgotten half of the games' plots and side-quests, etc.

C) Wait for Pokemon Black and White, don't play any other Pokemon games whilst waiting and enter thus into a new adventure with the entire Pokemon community.

D) Same as C, except play something like HG/SS for the nostalgic purposes until B/W comes along.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    *sigh*

Everytime I think about how the new games are making the "Crappy-O Meter" go up a notch, I also think about when I was in Elementary School. I had no friends in the world. That is, except for Cyndaquil and Charmander. This was before the "Follow-Me" feature or even contests. I loved them as if they were my best friends. Because in my sad pitiful life, I had that one speck of happiness I got when hearing that Gameboy click on. And I guess I owe that wonderous feeling to Satoshi-Sensei.

God, I've told this story ten times now...

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2010
    Im not fond of all these new ones
    But I will sit for hours with a gameboy color and the old blue and yellow

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
    I've had this quite a few times, I almost lost that deep love for it a few years ago when I got crazy about Digimon; (I watched the first three seasons in a matter of weeks) but my best friends 'persuaded' me that Pokemon is the best!!
    It did me good though, after that I came back stronger than ever!!! :P
    I'd take a break if I were you, just don't get too wrapped up in something else, and every now and then think about anything to do with pokemon! :D

Back