• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I think Smogon is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    Gardevoir having Toxic means diddly-squat, every pokemon that can learn TMs can learn that.

-

Idiomorph

Pokémon Geneticist
    Years
    Smogon is not 'wrong'. They don't claim that their tiering system is necessarily relevant to WiFi or a true indication of the Pokémon's battling prowess. Tiering is done based on ShoddyBattle because statistics can be easily acquired from the servers; only Nintendo can tell you how many of x Pokémon are used in WiFi battles.

I agree with your general points that people shouldn't rely on ShoddyBattle data being representative of WiFi and that many NU/UU Pokémon are underrated, but those are problems with the community's assumptions, not with Smogon's system.

Also, despite my fondness for Gardevoir, it can't really counter Vaporeon/Jolteon all that easily due to the tendency for them to carry Shadow Ball/Signal Beam =/

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2009
    Porygon2 is a better user of Trace than Gardevoir for the most part (if you're actively using Trace to counter stuff), because it can use it to counter DDSalamence and pretty much every Gyarados out there, whereas Gardevoir (even after tracing an Intimidate) can't stay in comfortably against either. It can also switch in on most Flygon (Trace Levitate to dodge Earthquake and unboosted Outrage does like 40% to physically defensive P2), which Gardevoir can't because it's liable to take a hefty chunk of damage from U-turn. And yeah, Porygon2 takes no damage from Shadow Ball/Signal Beam, so it switches in Jolteon and Jolteon is screwed. Gardevoir does have the advantage in its support moves though, but I tend to run pokemon that are good at what it does, and if I want a support pokemon I'd rather use Uxie/Cresselia/Jirachi/Celebi because they're better at supporting. Gardevoir is more of a "niche" pokemon that can do some support and use Trace to shakily check Heatran/Vaporeon/Specsjolt/Flygon, but niche pokemon tend to be high-maintenance (they can only show their full potential in a narrow selection of teams), and I very much perfer having a pokemon to fit a team, rather than having a team fit a pokemon.

Anyways, note how the tiers are called "Overused" and "Underused" and not "High tier" or "Low tier"? Tiers tell you of things that are commonly used, not things that are powerful or not. Though there is a certain relationship between power and usage, it is not an extremely strong one. Scizor is #1 pokemon used at the moment, beating Salamence (the #2 pokemon) by a wide margin of 30%+, but I dare say for most people, getting a switch-in against Salamence is a much more daunting task than getting a switch-in against Scizor. Salamence can run so many equally dangerous and unpredictable sets that whatever your salamence switch-in is, you can maybe expect it to survive the encounter half the time. However, while Salamence remains a good selection on many offensive teams, Scizor can happily fit itself in just about every non-outright-stall team there is, having the most powerful priority in the game that does not require your opponent to attack.

That is just an example in the difference between usage and power - pokemon that can prove itself useful in more situations often gets picked over other pokemon. I can give another example - Look at rampardos. 165 atk is juicy, but every single other stat is crap and basically it is comparable to, to quote the an article in the latest The Smog, "a fat, ugly man with a huge penis." It may have the raw power, but it is extremely difficult to get it to do anything, and for many players it is a chore to try to build a team just so Rampardos can sweep comfortably, especially since so many things can go wrong and those kind of "specialized teams" tend to fall apart as soon as something in the team breaks.

Finally, if you REALLY want something in OU THAT badly, then simply get on Smogon's shoddy server and use it over and over and over again. If you can use them successfully all the better, as people will eventually get tired of losing to truly useful sets and use them themselves which serves further to increase its usage count. Look at electivire - it is commonly laughed at by a whole bunch of people, yet it steadily keeps its place in the 30something rank every month (much to the chagrin of previously mentioned whole bunch of people), because people WILL use them. Same goes to Ninjask, really, and to use a less offensive example, Roserade will likely become OU in the next tiering change because it is now used so frequently as a powerful lead.

Years
    According to smogon users, the first factor that divides tiers up and the most important is how many people use them. Not on Wi-Fi though, oh no. Just on Shoddy Battle, a battling simluation program where people test teams and battle for fun. This means that only the more intellectual battlers use it and people who use Pokémon such as Pikachu do not exist, thus making Pokémon like Pikachu NU dispite the fact it is used in almost every kids Platinum team. This is a problem in itself.
    I'm sorry. In many cases, Shoddy Battlers are better, as the metagame shifts more, as teams are more easily changed. You get a lot more noobs using Wifi, which is where you get your Pikachu teams. Wifi also warps the tiers, as legendary or more difficult to obtain pokemon are used less, so their real usage is not gauged properly.

By the way, Shoddy is used because they can record usage stats. Not because they want to spite you. The system is fine as it is. Enough said. Go on, post this is S&M where the real players are. You'll get a remarkably different set of replies to what you've been getting.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    The other S&M regulars have already said what needs to be said, but a few things...

According to smogon users, the first factor that divides tiers up and the most important is how many people use them. Not on Wi-Fi though, oh no. Just on Shoddy Battle, a battling simluation program where people test teams and battle for fun. This means that only the more intellectual battlers use it and people who use Pokémon such as Pikachu do not exist, thus making Pokémon like Pikachu NU dispite the fact it is used in almost every kids Platinum team. This is a problem in itself.

Yeah, but kids with Pikachu on their Platinum team aren't playing competitively. You're using an ingame statistic to argue against common practices in competitive battling. That doesn't make any sense.

The next factor, according to smogon users is movepool and stats. Now this is completely wrong because there are plenty of NU Pokémon with stats equal or better than that of an OU Pokémon. Lets compare one, shall we?

This is almost entirely false. NU Pokemon generally have horrible stats compared to OU Pokemon. Movepool only matters if the Pokemon has the stats to abuse it. Even the super powerful NU Pokemon like Slaking, Medicham, and Rampardos all have very huge faults. Slaking is a joke in the hgiher tiers because of Traunt (it's set-up bait), and the other two are horribly frail and have pretty lacking Speed.

Tl;dr - Smogon is wrong, they're tiering Pokémon up based on the same Pokémon that are used over and over again. All people do now is grab the first set they see on Smogon and throw together a pretty darn predictable team. This can be seen on Serebii Wi-Fi chat, check it out there.

Um, tiering is just grouping Pokemon based on usage. How can organizing something be "wrong"? That doesn't make any sense. There isn't anything that says that you can't use lower tier Pokemon in OU matches, and the fact that people don't should tell you something about how good (AKA bad) those Pokemon are. If you want to get upset with players for only using OU Pokemon or not being original, be my guest, but you can't blame the tiering system for that. A lot of Pokemon that aren't used much now were tried out and didn't work. The metagame has been pretty thoroughly explored at this point, so it's not like things are being overlooked. If you want to complain about Smogon's tiers having a negative impact on WiFi battling, I'm not the person to argue against you since I've never been on WiFi in my life. at the same time, you can't just ignore the impossibility of collecting stats from every WiFi battle that happens, so this is the best Smogon or any Pokemon community can do.

Generally your argument seems to harp on the bad points of OU Pokemon and only the good points of NU. (Where is the mention of Rampardos having only one good stat and awful typing? Aggron's horrible weaknesses?) You can't be selective with facts and then say act like the facts support your position. The tiering system is by no means perfect, but the notion that NU Pokemon are just as good as OU Pokemon is absurd.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    So am I the only that just says "I want a standard battle, no ubers"? This means that you can use any Pokémon but the ubers, simples.

skorupoke

Skorupi! Use Poison Fang!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2022
    Gardevoir? NU?

WHAT THE HECK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Miria

A wild Miria appeared!
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 13, 2010
    I personally don't agree with creating groups and tiering Pokemon up, every situation and Pokemon is different and people should still use what they like. ^^ There's tons of different kinds of playstyles and everyone has their own and they all work in different situations. As someone said before, it's slightly "unfair to the Pokemon" to judge them! Hence I will always be ignoring things like this and just go with the Pokemon I like and consider decent myself. =]

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    Looking at all of these NU Pokémon which are really worthy of OU makes me sick, if you use a Pokémon like Gardevoir in the OU tier on shoddy then you're liable to be laughed at for using an NU Pokémon. Nobody gives these Pokémon a chance, they just stick to the same overused Pokémon in every single Wi-Fi battle.z
    Never cared about smogon anyway.
    Was just there for moves I could stick to my pokemon.
    And the Gardevoir point.. Indeed I would take Gardy rather than Alakazam anyday. If i would had built my team (Only with UU and NU pokemon, or meybe slim chance even BL since i havn't checked tiers for alike half year)
    Hmmm, If i remember right, I had Gardevoir, Feraligatr, Sudowoodo, Absol, Roserade, And last but not least, Ninetales. Built from pokemon I LIKE and not from "fancy" OU pokemon. By the word OverUsed you probably know that you are going to face those often. When i built my team i was just going to show off an original team. I barely see teams that doesn't contain an OU pokemon those days.
    But tiers are tiers and smogon are smogon. If you can't beat them, ignore them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    If you'd rather take Gardevoir over Alakazam, then good luck to you. Highest base special attack for a non-legendary (tied with Porygon-Z, at that). That's just the way the competitive way rolls, guys. If you ain't got the stats, get off the ladder.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    If you'd rather take Gardevoir over Alakazam, then good luck to you. Highest base special attack for a non-legendary (tied with Porygon-Z, at that). That's just the way the competitive way rolls, guys. If you ain't got the stats, get off the ladder.
    I just favor Gardy then Zam. Never actually used a Zam anyway.
    And "competitive way rolls" you remind me of Brucie from GTA IV.
    Bling. Check! Bodies. Check! Paper. Check! That's how we roll!

tropios

Whatevah
    Years
    i hate smogon, it makes pokemon cold and machinal, brainless pixels, it made many people i know quit. i wish gamefreak took out evs and ivs and make it more like in which way u train your pokes, with love they become stronger, so smogon can put their tiers... u know where ;)

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    i wish gamefreak took out evs and ivs and make it more like in which way u train your pokes, with love they become stronger, so smogon can put their tiers... u know where ;)
    Good luck programming a game to measure the love of a player. It would get me closer to my dream of thinking, feeling robots dominating the human race. By the way, EV's are affected by how you train your Pokemon.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023

Because pikachu has god awful stats and folds after an Earthquake from OU? By the way, in game teams don't really matter since everyone in game apparently got hit in the head repeatedly. That is why they make their Rattata keep using growl when you have 1 HP left.

The next factor, according to smogon users is movepool and stats. Now this is completely wrong because there are plenty of NU Pokémon with stats equal or better than that of an OU Pokémon. Lets compare one, shall we?
    Let us. You treat stats like it is the only thing that matters in the game. "My Aggron can beat your surfing starmie down to a pulp because it has 10 more BST AND ROCK HEAD!"
    Gardevoir Statistics:
    HP: 68
    Attack: 65
    Defense: 65
    Special Attack: 125
    Special Defense: 115
    Speed: 80

These stats seem pretty average for a UU Pokémon right? Exactly, but that's not all. Gardevoir has an excellent movepool which includes great attacks such as Psychic, Energyball, Focusblast, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power, Grassknot, Shadowball, Will-O-Wisp, Wish, Hypnosis and many other useful moves. That's not all! Gardevoir has the unique ability Trace which copies the opponents ability.
    See what happens when you use that against a Slaking, the one hit pony. And even then, many more pokemon can use the moves that Gardevoir has, except better.
    This means Gardevoir can switch in on Jolteon and Vaporeon, two top tier OU Pokémon and basically laugh in their faces. Guess what? This Pokémon is NU.
    So what? Gardevoir will crash after a physical dark type move. Pursuit, feint attack, and other moves can beat this pokemon to a pulp when stat increasing moves are used correctly.
    Alakazam Statistics:
    Hp: 55
    Attack: 50
    Defense: 45
    Special Attack: 135
    Special Defense: 85
    Speed: 120

This Pokémon is always coupled with Syncronize or Inner Focus. Both of which are pretty much terrible abilities compared to Gardevoirs rare Trace ability.
    trace is completely circumstantial. Not all pokemon have good abilities that can be used instantly, you know?
    Alakazam has a much more limited movepool too, the only special sweeping moves it can learn of any value are Psychic, Hidden Power, Focus Blast, Signal Beam and Shadow Ball. These moves are pretty typical and can be predicted. Sure Alakazam has slightly better special attack and hugely better speed but Gardevoir makes up with it by being much more bulky and having that rare ability.
    Bulky? LOL, 65 base defense is bulky? The max defense it can get(including 252 EV's, beneficial nature, AND perfect IV's. Granted, Alakazam has worse defenses, but the fact remains that gardevoir is not bulky. Just see how long it lasts against Crunch Tyranitar or an average Heatran.
    This Pokémon is OU which is common knowledge but comparing it to Gardevoir close up makes it seem pretty pathetic in comparison.

There are plenty of other Neverused Pokémon which aren't bad by any means, one of these is Ramparados which has one of the biggest attack stats in the game. (165) This is bigger than any Rhyperior, Jirachi or Aerodactyl.
    Rampardos is a glass cannon. Although he can deliver a lot of damage to the opponents team, he will most likely not have the chance to do so. In case you forgot, Surf is common among pokemon. And with pokemon like Starmie running around in OU, it will not matter much how Rampardos CAN dominate if he is dead. With choice scarf I could see that Pokémon tearing teams apart in OU. (Plus it has an excellent movepool) Another example is Aggron with a monstrous 180 defense and a respectable 110 attack stat. It also has a great movepool and a pretty acceptable ability yet it is NU.
    LOL, like before, Aggron is not a great pokemon to use. He has 60 base Sp. defense, and 50 base speed to boot. Speed makes a huge difference in games, and you are clearly undermining that. And he has few toys that he can use to bar his weaknesses. 4x weakness to ground won't help that pokemon when Earthquake is one of the most common moves in the whole game. And a focus punch breloom will make child's play of this, if my psypokes calculator is working correctly of course.
    Looking at all of these NU Pokémon which are really worthy of OU makes me sick, if you use a Pokémon like Gardevoir in the OU tier on shoddy then you're liable to be laughed at for using an NU Pokémon. Nobody gives these Pokémon a chance, they just stick to the same overused Pokémon in every single Wi-Fi battle.
    Then why don't you make a difference? See how far you can get with Gardevoir in OU. You will be walled by Weavile with no effort whatsoever.

Tl;dr - Smogon is wrong, they're tiering Pokémon up based on the same Pokémon that are used over and over again. All people do now is grab the first set they see on Smogon and throw together a pretty darn predictable team. This can be seen on Serebii Wi-Fi chat, check it out there.
    Smogon isn't the honcho of everything Wi-Fi in pokemon battling, but it is known by many people as the most reliable source. Anyone will admit that Smogon is fallible.

That is my two cents on the subject of course. But please, anyone feel free to correct me, especially when I don't even go to competitive battling yet.

i hate smogon, it makes pokemon cold and machinal, brainless pixels, it made many people i know quit. i wish gamefreak took out evs and ivs and make it more like in which way u train your pokes, with love they become stronger, so smogon can put their tiers... u know where ;)

Because the power of love for your pokemon can make your level 1 pichu with only thundershock beat a level 100 garchomp with choice equipment :\

tropios

Whatevah
    Years
    uuu ok everyone the love thing was not a real suggestion, i just wanted to point out that smogon sucks, (and i know they are brainless pixels but i act not that way, not that i talk to them or something) btw why does so much use those tiers invented by some nerds? but if lovething was possible it would be more fun and my level 1 pichu CAN beat a level 100 garchomp :p

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    To me it seems like some of us can't truly use the pokemon that we like due to Smogon. I used to use smogon. I sucked at battling before and then when I started to use Smogon I was still bad. I think that Smogon should stop trying to control everything. Sure pokemon like Raichu and Pikachu are not all that strong but if used right they can be a good addition to a team. All you need to do is just be able to read the opponent. But thats just me. ^_^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back