• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I was actually expecting a discount. Was it silly of me?

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I cracked under pressure and picked up Black 2 the day after Xmas, yesterday. Given the year it came out- 2012, and the after Xmas sales, I went in expecting it to be discounted, but would up paying full price for it, as I did with the newer 6th gen Pokemon game. So while I am a little happy that I now have Black and Black2 for a complete set, I'm more disappointed since if feels like I kind of got jipped- and in the holiday season, no less.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Thing is, Pokemon games almost never drop in price, even if you go and buy it used from somewhere...

The only time I remember a newer game being on sale was last year at best buy when Black and White I think, went on sale for 15 dollars, I think duirng black friday.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    Thing is, Pokemon games almost never drop in price, even if you go and buy it used from somewhere...

The only time I remember a newer game being on sale was last year at best buy when Black and White I think, went on sale for 15 dollars, I think duirng black friday.
    I've been playing Pokemon since Gen 1, and I honestly can't remember ever buying a main gen game on sale. I mean, it does suck, buying old games at the same price as new ones; I'm sure anyone could agree on that. I just feel like Pokemon, as popular as it is, should be no exception to the sale rule, if the game is an over a year old, like a lot of games tend to drop in price. I dunno, maybe it was the mindest of everything being on sale the day after Xmas that got to me and raised expectations a little too much.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I even went to EB Games yesterday and none of the Pokemon games were on sale. The only Pokemon games that were on sale were french ones, but yea I don't want french Pokemon games.

The only place where I found cheap Pokemon games was at the flea market. Since they tend to make their own price rather than the retail price. But I really don't go there often.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Moved to PGC cause even though you are talking about B2W2, this is more a discussion about the pricing of games rather than the games themselves.

Working retail I can tell you that games hardly ever go on a price drop sale. Majority of the time its a buy one get one x deal where x can be % off or $ amount. Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are Nintendo's big three and never drop their prices while being sold in retail. The only way to find them cheaper is to go to third party trade in stores and buy one used.

Some major stores may drop the price, though they aren't supposed to.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've seen used HGSS go higher than new BW, so yeah. It gets pretty weird.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    White 2 is actually on sale at both Amazon and Walmart (not sure if it's every single one, though). I have no clue why it's just that one and not Black as well, but I suppose a sale is a sale nevertheless. o.o

I usually end up buying my games either used or during the holidays on Amazon. It's the only place I've actually seen that has fairly frequent sales on Pokemon games, and for upwards of 10% off, too.

Years
  • I saw BW at the KoP mall GameStop for around 28 or so while BW2 was like 34.

The thing is, most older Pokémon games are no longer in production, but the demand is still crazy, mostly for those that want to transfer stuff (I don't know about BW2 and maybe still BW, but the Gen IV games are probably done production). That's most likely it; I've heard it elsewhere too.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    White 2 is actually on sale at both Amazon and Walmart (not sure if it's every single one, though). I have no clue why it's just that one and not Black as well, but I suppose a sale is a sale nevertheless. o.o

I usually end up buying my games either used or during the holidays on Amazon. It's the only place I've actually seen that has fairly frequent sales on Pokemon games, and for upwards of 10% off, too.
    damn. I don't shop online. Sucks though the sales don't carry over to the brick and mortar stores for places that actually offer the sales on their online site. I would've went to Wal-Mart in a heartbeat if they had it on sale

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    You can snag them cheaper, but that's usually through online retailers. The games really don't lower that much in value, which is great for me when I snipe a cheap copy of a Pokemon game then sell it for double what I pay :3

Bestintheworld

Capo de tutti capo
    Years
  • Yeah I mean if you bought a per owned game n payed full price you got jipped but you can't complain because as someone said typically pokemon games retain there value(a preowned heartgold will run you $50) my recommendation is try looking for preowned games in store or online.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • I know Yellow and Crystal have held their value and in most cases I've seen them run from between $30-$40.

Pokemon games overall hold their value very well.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    if you buy just the cartridge, you would pay less. but that would still be like $20 or so. taken from the emerald I got.

Kokocat

Burning Young Heart
    Years
  • I bought B2 for $28 on Amazon; I'm currently trying to figure why SS and HG are like $50-$70.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Pokémon games, like almost all of Nintendo non-obscure IP's, tend to never lower in price even secondhand. They still sell DP for about £20 at CEX. For a nearly seven year game that copies are easy to get hold of, that's pretty ridiculous.

Gen I and II games can be very pricey due to the nostalgia that the hold with many people.

Back