• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I was robbed of the chance!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Were there any games you felt you missed out on, due to not having the system, the money at the time, etc? Have you gotten to play them since then? Or are you still waiting for that day to come? If you have gotten to play them, do you think you would have liked the game more back when it was new? Feel free to add anything you want. I think you all know what I'm gonna come back to say.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I was robbed of Pokemon. My parents banned it from me when I was little because they deemed it too violent. They were so overprotective. I never watched the show, played the video games, played the card game, or anything.

Then one day during a band trip I bought Pokemon Black since I was tired of missing out on the references. I got hooked instantly.

Years
  • It's the majority of the Nintendo games that I've missed out on ): Anything other than the GameCube or N64 from the company I would not have played, but even on those systems the only games I would play are from the Mario or Zelda series \: Other series like Sonic, Metroid, etc. I have not touched and wish I had gotten into. There's a few Wii games as well that I would have liked to play, but nothing an absolute, with the exception of Twilight Princess. Don't think any of those days will be coming when I actually get to play them. Too devoted to PlayStation at this point and wouldn't want to invest in any other consoles or handhelds.

Years
  • I missed out on a lot of the '90s console games many of you have nostalgia over since my parents were teaching me financial responsibility by making me save up for things I wanted, particularly stuff on the Playstation and N64. I didn't experience anything on those until I reached the 5th grade. We did have a Sega Genesis for a few years, though, so I at least got my early '90s fix on that. Especially NBA Jam and NHL 94.

I also missed out on a lot of the GameCube's best games since my brother and I didn't have one until 2005, and I also missed out on the better Xbox games since while we had one pretty early on (the year it came out, I think), we sold it to my uncle since he wanted to buy it more than my dad wanted to keep it. Also, the Dreamcast was something I missed out on.

I've managed to do a lot of catching up on experiences I've missed out on, but I'm still missing out on a lot of the PS3's best games because I don't own one yet.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and the 2 Phantasy Star Portables for me. Besides those 2 games, I never have had much interest in getting a PSP (I don't buy a system for just 1 or 2 games). BBS was the one Kingdom Hearts game I wanted to play since KH2 (never really cared for 358/2 Days or Chain of Memories), and what is it for? The friggin' PSP. Phantasy Star is a series I like a lot, but each one I've played always is missing something or has a serious flaw or 2 in it. So I was hoping that maybe the next Phantasy Star game (this was around the time Phantasy Star Universe AotI was the most recent one...or was it Zero? idk) would be the one I've been waiting for, but now I'll never know because its on the PSP.

And they're not even ones you can download for the Vita...which then brings me to Dangan Ronpa. It's for the Vita, which I don't have. Maybe I'll get a Vita sometime, but not soon...I've kinda dished out a lotta money in the past 6 or 7 months on games. At least I've read/watched translations for the 2 games, so I can wait.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • Yes most of them as a kid. I didnt have windows as a kid, and I didnt get the Genesis until the Dreamcast came out, I didnt get the N64 until high school and I was an adult when I got my first Saturn. I was just lucky enough that the one game my parents thought was okay to get for me as a kid was pokemon. I've tried to catch up on a lot of games I did miss out on though and now I don't think I have really any regrets. I'm scared I'll get Bravely Default late because I've got no money at the moment though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • OKAY SO LET ME START OFF MY STORY ALRIGHT.

Back when my mom was married to a different man, we'd go to his parents' house every so often. Cause, you know, that's what you do. At the time, I had a GameCube and though I loved it a ton, I still hated missing out on PS2 games I really wanted. My top reasons for wanting a PS2 at the time were Kingdom Hearts and Jak and Daxter. So I visited one day, and my cousin at the time happened to be there. He had a PS2. He had Jak and Daxter and was playing it and I was just like "omg yes i can finally play this game!!" Did I get to? No. Not only would he not let me play, but he got pissy when I would just watch. He'd ask what I was staring at (the game honey, not you duh) and that sort of crap. So to even watch him play without a fuss starting, I had to hide behind the table in the playroom and be super quiet. Like really, who cares if I'm watching you play a game?

Anyway, that being said, I was always bitter that I was robbed the chance to play and had to resort to watching what little I could. He never left that game there when he wasn't at the house btw. The PS2 would be there, but he always took the games. He totally had it out for me, but then gets mad at me when I gave him the same treatment at my house. I wasn't about to let him play Pokemon Stadium 2.

POINT OF THE STORY. I have finally gotten to see the light (like at the end of the game you know that light that means absolutely NOTHING) and play the games, as well as its followers, and as you can tell, I took a lightning quick liking to the series. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it a ton as a kid and I wish I could have made memories back then, but what great memories I have now of the series, even though they weren't made long ago, can't be taken away from me by a rude boy that won't even let me watch.

tl;dr

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I missed pretty much all the 80s-90s since I never really had a game system other than a PC until 1999, and even then rarely ever got any games for myself (beyond Pokemon and a few select others) until 2005i or so. I really want to go back and build up a retro collection - I dug up my N64 last week and I'm going to try to build a decent library of the must-have games for that, even though I've played several of them through remakes and such over the years. I also want to pick up a Retron 5 when that comes out and work on an SNES library.

I did get to play games at friends' houses, but I really do feel like I missed out on the golden era of video games. I'm becoming increasingly jaded with the way the industry is headed, so I'm excited to go back and experience those games.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I missed out on Zelda as a child, but I took charge and got myself into it. Other than that I've missed/been missing out on a lot ;; I only own a 3DS and Wii U and its predecessors so I've missed out on Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, ugh I could list a lot more but I'll just leave those 2.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I missed out on games like Left 4 Dead cos I got a PS3 over an Xbox 360, and Pokemon X/Y and Bravely Default cos I didn't get a 3DS. Never got a Wii, never got SSBB.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
    Years
  • I missed the PS3 era, I was a straight Sony fanatic back in the day (PS1, PS2, PSP), but when the PS3 came out I bought a 360 for some odd reason. I missed games like the newer Ratchet and Clank games. Luckily, I am jumping back to sony by buying a PS4.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I also missed out on Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank during that dark time of not having a PS2, but as you can tell, I didn't gravitate to them as much haha. I'm terrible at Sly, but I'm pretty good at R&C and I really need to pick back up on that. I got way too distracted with the Jak trilogy. Speaking of those two, why do they get the movies and Jak doesn't? :(

Spoiler:

Years
  • I missed the PS3 era, I was a straight Sony fanatic back in the day (PS1, PS2, PSP), but when the PS3 came out I bought a 360 for some odd reason. I missed games like the newer Ratchet and Clank games. Luckily, I am jumping back to sony by buying a PS4.
    I'm in the same boat except I feel like I missed Beyond: Two Souls and The Last Of Us the most. Luckily the new streaming service should have those games on ps4 when it is introdced.

I also missed a lot of final fantasy games due to being too young when they were released. I'm playing through VII and X now and I plan to play VIII and X-2 in the near future. (Not having a PS3 screwed me a bit here too since I don't get to play the lovely X/X-2 remaster)

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • I was robbed of my Pokemon X and Y. I already looked for consoles and i saved the money, i even bought one of this rechargable cards you can use to order stuff from Ebay. But, tough luck, my parents thought that for a 16 years-old, that is not mature, so i couldnt buy it. I was so pissed. I did happen to play the game when a friend brought the console to school and i accidentaly released his Absol.

Years
  • Unless I was playing it at a friend's or cousin's house, I missed out on anything Nintendo, sans the handhelds. From the NES right to the Wii U, I've never had a Nintendo system, so I know that there are a huge number of games that I missed out on, including anything from the Mario and Zelda series.

At least with the current consoles, many of the games are multi-platform, so I don't feel too bad if I miss out on the odd Xbox exclusive.

Years
  • I have never owned a Playstation device so of course there are a lot of cool stuff there I've missed, but I think I'll go with the Metal Gear and Silent Hill series. Even though never entries for both of these franchises have been released on Xbox 360 or the Wii, these appear to have been of lower quality and don't live up to their legacy. I also dislike having to start my experience with a franchise by beginning with the middle/end entry.

Some might argue that there have been new HD-releases for both of these, but for some weird and stupid reason they always seem to miss the crucial first game in the series (which btw is really confusing and kinds of ruins the whole concept - like releasing a dvd box with LoTR with only the latter two movies)!

Years
  • I missed out on all the 1st and 2nd Generation Pokemon games due to me not being able to get a Gameboy or Gameboy Color at the time, hence why I never knew the mechanics were so different compared to 3rd Gen until I looked at Bulbapedia.

Also, while I may have had a GBA SP I still missed out on FireRed & LeafGreen, I did however get a chance to play a bit of LeafGreen when my brother's friend lent him the game. But still, that's the only 3rd Gen and on Pokemon game that I never played.

Back