• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ICE AGE ?

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
    Years
    Guys what do you think ? What is Ice age ? I know what it is but i would like to know what you guys think about it. Will it come back ? What make Ice age happen ? What was its history ? Lets discuss it all here.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2020
    I'm sure an Ice Age is possible again anywhere in the future as the sun begins to cool off in a few million years, and/or as the human race grows to become extinct. However, I really doubt that there will ever be an Ice Age in our lifetime.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2014
    Just curious.

What did man do that caused the last global warming that formed the Great Lakes and the skid marks in New York's Central Park?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Humans did nothing to intervene with the last ice age event because it was warmed naturally over a period of time.

If this is a petty attempt at anti-global warming propaganda, however, I can confirm to you that while some climate change may be a natural cyclical nature, it is almost unobjected by the scientific community that humans have had an impact through increasing temperatures through carbon emissions. Over 680,000 peer reviewed articles have been published supporting this fact. You can begin to read through them here, but unfortunately, they will make Alex Jones sad.

In fact, humans have had a massive impact on ecology, and even before the Victorian Era, humans have contributed to many extinctions through travelling, carrying parasites or vermin, or overhunting. Some species collapsed after another was exterminated by humans, such as Haast's Eagle. In current times, modern ecology is threatened by the following human activities:
    • Overhunting or Exploitation
    • Modification of Habitats
    • Pesticides
    • Introduced Species

This list is not all-inclusive. Regardless of whether or not you believe in global warming, humanity is having a profound effect on the environment and the biodiversity on the planet. Global Warming is further affecting the environments of life, by modifying their temperatures and climates. Evidence for global warming includes:
    • Increased CO2 measurements.
    • A steady rise in global temperature.
    • More extreme weather being exhibited.

Global warming does not necessarily induce "warmer climates". It rather modifies climates, gradually transforming various ecosystems. It is unknown what this will necessarily lead to. A "Venusian" prediction is probably false. It could be possible that practically any sort of trend could occur - even an Ice Age. It's more likely that storms will become more frequent and more extreme habitats will be generated. This is extremely dangerous to specialized species who require a specific kind of habitat, and greatly reduce biodiversity. It is possible that such a change could dramatically destroy much life, although it's very unlikely that such an extinction would go anywhere near exterminating it. Regardless, as previous extinction events have proven, life takes a long time to recuperate and the loss in biodiversity harms the potential for many future species.

It is likely that the damage is already too much and it could permanently affect the future of the climate on this planet. Who knows what that will be? Personally, it's best to take a neutral perspective while trying to preserve harmony with nature. Frankly, "fossil fuels" are an industry that will eventually be tapped out and unable to provide further energy sources, so while continuing to deny global warming may seem convenient, it is not the only reason to find other energy alternatives. It is likely that other energy types will become more profitable in the future and end up eliminating fossil fuels as a competitively viable energy source. Honestly, anti-global warming arguments sound more like an argument to continue utilizing fossil fuels, and yet, there are so many more reasons besides global warming to try to find alternative fuel sources. I really like the idea of solar power, and hopefully those solar power roadways could provide more reliable energy sources as well as more durable and easier to repair roadways (thank god; roads here in Michigan are horrible!)

Last edited:

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
    It will probably happen some time after civilization as we know it ceases to exist.

The last series of Ice Ages we had in the Pleistocene Epoch were all natural from beginning to end, but I have a feeling, about the next one, humanity will have had something to do with it.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
    Years
    Guys your comments are awesome and i agree you with you guys. And i believe that the ice age will occur again due to climate change. I think the flood and all other will cause this Ice age. We can know more by watching the film " The Day After Tomorrow"

Years
    It's a hilarious series of movies.

It will probably come in a few million years, sooner or later.

Years
    Just to clarify, when you guys say 'ice age' what do you have in mind? People often seem to mix up 'ice age' and 'glacial period'.

A glacial is a period of time within an ice age where you have cold temperatures and glacier advances. The last of these ended ~11,000 years ago and is what a lot of people think of when they hear 'ice age' (i.e snow and ice covering a lot of the land).

But an Ice age refers to a much larger period of time spanning millions of years. Within them you have 'glacials' (colder periods) and shorter 'interglacials' (warmer periods). We are still in an ice age, but in an interglacial period called the Holocene period, within the Quaternary ice age. The presence of ice sheets at the poles defines this.

Now without anthropogenic climate change we could expect to return to a glacial period probably within a few thousand years or so. Interglacial periods generally last 10-20,000 years and we are over 11,000 years into the Holocene, so we could very reasonably expect to return to a glacial period very much within the lifetime of our species.

Climate change does mess things up a bit. An argument has been made that we have now left the Holocene and have entered a period called the 'Anthropocene' - a period in which human activity is a key influence on the Earth's ecosystems. How big an influence we will have on the ice age cycle I don't know. That remains to be seen. However until the ice sheets at the poles have gone, we are still in an ice age.

Back