• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Ideal starter Pokemon

enViable

The Frozen Fire Alchemist
Years
  • Good morning all. I'm a returning player from the Gold/Silver days and I just decided to invest in a DS with X, and I was wondering which of the 3 starter Pokemon is suited for most situations?

I'm also wondering which of the Pokemon you encounter very early on are worth investing time into. I was holding out for something unique but so far I'm finding mainly the normal Pikachus, Pidgeys and Bugs etc. None of which Strike my fancy. Are any of the "pan trio" worth looking at?

Appreciate the feedback

Years
  • Good morning all. I'm a returning player from the Gold/Silver days and I just decided to invest in a DS with X, and I was wondering which of the 3 starter Pokemon is suited for most situations?

I'm also wondering which of the Pokemon you encounter very early on are worth investing time into. I was holding out for something unique but so far I'm finding mainly the normal Pikachus, Pidgeys and Bugs etc. None of which Strike my fancy. Are any of the "pan trio" worth looking at?

Appreciate the feedback

Flabebe evolves into Florges which has crazy sp.def, its fairy type if you hadn't planned on getting a sylveon.
    Axes is found in hordes fairly early. Bagon is also found pretty early. Helioptile is decent but better suited on weather teams. You can get hawlucha after the second gym badge and eevee in the same route. Riolu are in the route right of the town with the first gym also. Furfrou is decent but probably not great for a story play through, considering its best set up consists of boring battles. You also can get the fossil pokemon before the second gym badge and if you exit the floor of the cave where the scientist is and go back in you can use rock smash til you find old amber and get aerodactyl pretty early

Years
  • Personally I've used all three starters now and I have to say Fennekin is the best. It really utilises it's Sp. Atk really well, Chespin is also a good option. I wasn't a fan of Froakie as I felt it's movepool was lacking and by the time I was hitting the main climax it was really losing out on potential compared to the rest of my team.

Good things to catch early on would be: Flabebe, wonderful special attack only downside is you'll have to heart scale onto it Moonblast if you turn it into Florges by shiny stone.
    Ralts: It's a big experience guzzler and doesn't learn psychic till a late level, and like Flabebe needs a heart scale to learn Moonblast.
    Hawlucha: You can get him after the second gym, his fighting/flying combination is excellent, he's a bit on the brittle side but is very fast and strong.
    Machop: Found before the second gym, Machamp is still as good as ever.
    Riolu: Found before the first gym, if you work hard on it and raise it's happiness you'll get Lucario an amazing Pokemon
    Absol: Very fast, and very strong, just i'd reccomend catching one exclusivly with Super Luck

That's a couple of suggestons, to be honest X/Y have the best roster of Pokemon I've ever seen. You'll be stuck for choice I'd imagine ._.

enViable

Years
  • Hawlucha looks "interesting" indeed. I started with a Froakie, and a Doduo through trade but I'm only at the 1st gym so certainly not too late to restart. The reason I picked Froakie, was that I had every intention of using a Charizard/Mega Charizard for the end game and didn't want to go for 2 Fire. Also was planning on a Ralts somewhere along the the line, so I would also be doubling up on psychic. Would quite like to re-discovered a Lanturn at some point.

Didn't want a Lucario, as everyone seems to have one, including my partner. I'll be aiming to find a Bagon at some point. Haxorus looks amazing but I'm told Salamence is a better choice.

Years
  • Hawlucha looks "interesting" indeed. I started with a Froakie, and a Doduo through trade but I'm only at the 1st gym so certainly not too late to restart. The reason I picked Froakie, was that I had every intention of using a Charizard/Mega Charizard for the end game and didn't want to go for 2 Fire. Also was planning on a Ralts somewhere along the the line, so I would also be doubling up on psychic. Would quite like to re-discovered a Lanturn at some point.

Didn't want a Lucario, as everyone seems to have one, including my partner. I'll be aiming to find a Bagon at some point. Haxorus looks amazing but I'm told Salamence is a better choice.

Admittedly Froakie isn't a bad choice, it's actually unique in that he is a fragile speedster Water type. If you'd like something better than Doduo you can find Staravia on the way to the third gym. Chinchou actually is available, you'll get a good rod in Coumarine, go over to Shalour or Azure Bay and fish, you'll catch one then.

Shhmew

Years
  • I won't go through wild Pokemon, but here's my analysis with the starters.

If you like more defensive and stall Pokemon, I would suggest Chespin. When it becomes fully evolved, its typing (Grass/Fighting) may appear weak to a lot of things, but its bulk makes up for it, with its very high defense. It also learns moves like Leech Seed and Spiky Shield that help to make it very hard to take down. In addition it's got high attack with some very powerful physical moves like Seed Bomb, Wood Hammer, Hammer Arm, and Earthquake.

Again though, this Pokemon is very defensive rather than offensive and should not be expected to quickly sweep things.

If you are looking for a very fast and versatile pokemon, though, I'd suggest Froakie. Greninja has almost equally high attack and special attack, with very impressive speed to boot. Though its defenses are pretty low, its job will simply be to come in and knock things out. Its moveset is pretty good too, naturally learning moves like Night Slash and Extrasensory, and learning a lot of great TMs for even more coverage like Acrobatics, Ice Beam, Rock Slide, Grass Knot, U-Turn, and more.

Overall a pretty fun Pokemon, you just have to be careful with letting it get hit. Also it's WAY more fun with its hidden ability, Protean. :C Still very fun though and probably my favorite of the starters I used. Don't feel bad if you decide to keep going with it haha.

The best of both worlds, though, would be Fennekin. Delphox has pretty reasonable stats all across the board, but with especially good Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. It learns a bunch of pretty sweet fire and psychic moves, but isn't as versatile with the rest of its moveset. Some worthy moves to mention that it can learn are Shadow Ball and Grass Knot. (yeah... not much. I put Light Screen on mine and that was helpful.)

Keep in mind that the fire/psychic typing is very nice offensively, but defensively, it has a lot of weaknesses. Still a very stable Pokemon overall and definitely not bad.

I hope this helps with your starter selection! Ultimately whatever you choose it'll be great. [:

Pretty much any Pokemon from the wild you choose to use will be fine as well. Some are definitely better than others, but the game is easy enough so that you can use even the less-than-strong Pokemon and they'll still probably be decent.

Some comments on a few pokemon that people mentioned -

Furfrou is awesome, I loved it so much when I used it haha. I taught mine U-Turn, Surf, Dark Pulse, and Return. It was a lot of fun for me. Not the best by any means, but I still loved him. I feel like he's underrated.

The fossils... I'm not so crazy about them. I used Aurorus my first playthrough because it's just so pretty and wonderful. However it's weak to so much, it kept continuously fainting, especially when I was first training it up. However after a while it got easier... with some caution and persistence I think it can be a great member on your team [:

Tyrantrum on the other hand was just simply outclasses by other dragons, like Haxorus or Goodra or Noivern.

In short, just use whatever you like. [: I wish you all the best with your game~

enViable

Years
  • After a few hours of flicking and browsing, I've decided I'm going to aim my final team to be Garchomp, Aegislash, Gardevoir, Lucario, Charizard & Lanturn. Covers quite a few type bases and I've only ever trained 2 of them before so it should make it more interesting.

Any feedback on that?

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    After a few hours of flicking and browsing, I've decided I'm going to aim my final team to be Garchomp, Aegislash, Gardevoir, Lucario, Charizard & Lanturn. Covers quite a few type bases and I've only ever trained 2 of them before so it should make it more interesting.

Any feedback on that?
    Careful with Garchomp, you probably won't be getting it until late game, and it's pre-evolved forms aren't the strongest. Aegislash might be a problem too, as you wont be getting a Dusk Stone until Terminus Cave. Otherwise, I think your team is pretty balanced.

enViable

Years
  • Careful with Garchomp, you probably won't be getting it until late game, and it's pre-evolved forms aren't the strongest. Aegislash might be a problem too, as you wont be getting a Dusk Stone until Terminus Cave.

By the time I get to Terminus Cave, will I be well past the point I should be evolving him? Is the Cave pre Elite 4 or post? I'm not too worried about Garchomp early on. He can just piggy back on the other 4-5 and get a free carry until later.

Years
  • The cave is pretty elite 4, however zygarde isn't accessible til after. Doublade is straight to run until you get the dusk stone too, and you will get a gible pretty early, after the fourth badge. I think habits evolves to garvhomp at lv 48? Which isn't bad, most ppl I've spoke to including myself had there team in the 80's lvl range before facing the elite four

Dusk White

Terra's Protege
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2014
    Froakie is the best suited for me he is fast and strong. Also his hidden ability protean can cause mass of destruction if you use it correctly

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    Froakie is very good. Get a honedge. Doublade is very strong, and Aegislash is op

enViable

Years
  • Ended up with my starter team now. Just completed Badge 1 and reached the central main city. Spent last night training and completing trades with my girlfriend and a kind gentleman on here

Charmander lvl 13
    Froakie lvl 15 (Will replace with Staryu when I get there)
    Honedge lvl 15
    Riolu lvl 15
    Togepi lvl 29 (waiting for me to catch up)
    Gabite lvl 29 (waiting for me to catch up)

Will also get my girlfriend to send me a Dusk/Shiny stone so I'm ready and waiting at the appropriate levels. Job done.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2014
    You can use a Doublade with an Eviolite till you get Dusk Stone. I evolved mine pretty late, but before the E4. Pancham is a good HM slave to have around. I went with Goodra as my dragon and found it good. You also get a Lapras given to you later in the game if you are looking for Water/Ice. With the new Exp. Share, you shouldn't have a problem getting a Charizard by the time you get HM for Fly.

Cheers!

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Furfrou, koff~

Furfrou has a formidable defense, and cotton guard beefs it up so much that they can take most physical moves without feeling them. Worry about special attacks though; not too much, as you can couple Furfrou with a couple anti-special type moves, koffi~

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2014
    Just in case, you did not know. You can get the dusk stone through super training as well by completing the secret missions well enough (the one with aegislash). You unlock them by having a poke with full evs(bar on the right filled on the supertraining screen).

So if you want to evolve it earlier, you actually can, if you really want to, but be warned: Doublade learns sacred sword at lvl 51 (I think) and aegislash doesn't.

Through wonder trade you can get a bunch of starter pokemon, if you are lucky (from every gen, but mostly froakie).

Back