• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Identity Crisis

Giga Flare

The Onion Knight
Years
  • Identity Crisis

Identity Crisis

Hello, and welcome to Identity Crisis. This is the tale of a nameless boy who lives under the Witness Protection Program in the world of Pokemon. All he wants to be is a Pokemon Trainer but for the past six years he's been unable to follow his dreams since the marshalls believe he is still in danger. He puts in place a plan to help him escape the clutches of the Marshall service to become what he's truly destined to be, even if it may just get him killed.

Rating: T or PG-13

Table of Contents:

ARC I: Escape from Unova
    Chapter One: What Children Dream Of

Chapter One: What Children Dream Of
    "Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind. Ain't life unkind?"
    -The Rolling Stones​

When I was no older than ten, I had dreams. Like most kids my age I wanted to be a Pokemon trainer. I wanted to make a name for myself. Take on the Gym Challenge and if I got lucky, the Elite Four. I didn't want to be another trainer that would slowly disappear into the sidelines. Unfortunately for me, I never got the chance to prove myself to the world when my life was turned upside down and my dreams became nothing but.

July 14th had barely begun when I had decided to go downstairs for a drink. I spent a long time in bed wondering if I should go downstairs into the darkness and risk getting a drink. I was afraid of being downstairs alone. I was convinced that there were Haunter living in the shadows but my parents reassured me it was nothing more than my imagination playing tricks on me and I sure hoped it was. Of course, that didn't fully convince me that there weren't ghost Pokemon living in our house. I carefully tiptoed down the stairs in an effort not to awaken my parents. Halfway down the steps I noticed that the front door was wide open and immediately knew something was wrong. I should've went back upstairs to hide but I was curious as to why. To this day I regret it.

I didn't bother to shut the door as I walked passed and headed into the kitchen. I heard a muffled sound off to my left coming from somewhere within the den. At first I didn't think much about it, but after a second or so of actually racking over it in my brain, I decided to go check whatever it was out. Part of me was hoping that it'd be some ghost Pokemon throwing my mother's china from Unova around. Another part of me feared that it would be a burglar stealing my mother's china. I peered around the corner of the counters, careful to stay out of view.

My heart leapt in my chest.

My parents were bound together with rope and duct tape. My mother had tears streaming down her face and my dad was scowling, holding as best as he could onto my mother's hand. They had been beaten pretty bad. Both of their faces were badly bruised and covered in blood. My mother's eye was swollen up to the point that it looked like it would explode.

"We don't like traitors," A tall man with balding black hair and hard brown eyes said, holding a gun up to my mother's head. He pressed it playfully against her head. Both her and my father began thrashing around in their bounds. Beside him two men dressed in a black and white outfit with a large red "R" printed on the front of shirt, cackled. "Did you really think that you could leave Team Rocket that easily?"

I didn't want to believe that my parents were involved with Team Rocket. Though afterwards when I really thought about it, it all made sense. The strange work hours. The new Pokemon they would have whenever they got back from one of their business trips... Why hadn't I seen it before?

"And to think that you would even go to the police about us. To rat us out. I've told you and so many others before, our reach extends far beyond you low level thieves. How else do you think we've managed to get away with so much? With the right money, anyone can be swayed. Or if not money, their family," The man said tapping the gun against my mother's shoulder.

All of that took place in a matter of seconds. I tiptoed to the other side of the kitchen where the phone was and picked it up, hands trembling. Even before I had the chance to call the police, a loud gunshot went off and a muffled scream echoed the room. I struggled not to drop the phone and ran back to the other side to see what the fate was of my parents.

My mother lied limp in her bounds and my father, who had remained strong for so long, started crying. I did too, but quickly put my hands over my mouth to keep myself from being detected. I watched in horror as the man held the gun to my father's head and pulled the trigger. I sobbed softly into my hands. It would be the last time I ever cried.

"Find their son. I know they have a son," The man said turning in my direction. I quickly scrambled out of view and dove into the living room, squeezing behind a couch to hide.

When I was sure they were upstairs, I clambered from my hiding place and ran to the front door, careful not to alert them. I ran the fastest I could down the street not bothering to look back. That was the last time I ever saw my house…and my parents.

Turns out, I became the star witness in a trail they had been building against the leader of Team Rocket, Giovanni. Oh, and some kid named Red was the other star witness. Apparently he had taken them down through sheer brute force. It was hard to believe considering he was around my age.

I probably stood in front of Giovanni about 13 times. I could never bring myself to cry about my parent's deaths or to cry about them in general. Mostly I think it was because I felt betrayed. How long had they been lying to me? They weren't working for some exporting company. They were Rockets. And what did that make me? A son of two dead rockets who decided to turn good for their son? The only questioned that really irked me more than that was if my parents had really done all the horrible things people had said on the news, talk shows, and even on trial. After I really racked it over in ten year old and began matching up the supposed crimes they had committed with the events at home... I realized my parents were monsters just like the rest of Team Rocket. They weren't special or the exception.

Anyway, Giovanni was sent to jail and that was when I was placed in witness protection without much of a choice. I'm sure there were a lot of Rockets that wanted to put a bullet in my head or just feed me to their Pokemon for kicks and giggles.

I've had so many names, lived in so many houses, and so many different cities, in different countries. Every single time ended with my cover being blown. A handful of times it was by the Rockets themselves, just so happening to be passing through the city. Those handful of times ended in them recognizing me and sending their Nidoking or some other scary Pokemon to capture and/or kill me. Sometimes I barely escaped alive. One time I told a girl who I believed to be my friend who I really was, and it turned out that her parents were Rockets. Just my luck, right? Another time I even purposely told someone who I really was just because I didn't like Solaceon Town or the people that lived there.

Of course, a lot of them had been by accident. Sometimes I forgot if I was Roland Turner from Opelucid City or Henry Foss from Fallarbor Town. Sometimes I even said my real name without realizing it.

After a while I just stopped caring. Just because it was too much for me to remember a new lie. People often asked me why I didn't have any Pokemon and I had to make up some intricate lie. Everything that came out of my mouth when talking to another person was a lie.

And hell did I want a Pokemon. Every time I asked one of my caretakers for one they'd tell me it was too much of a risk for me to have one. They couldn't change the identity of a Pokemon and if a Rocket saw me with a Pokemon I would have to release it so they wouldn't recognize me. I begged and begged, telling them I would be careful but they always said the same thing. I grew to resent everyone with a Pokemon and my caretakers, even more.

But now that I'm 16 years old I'm determined to get away from this life. I'm going to become a Pokemon Trainer. Even if I might get killed while venturing the world by a wild Pokemon or some Rockets, I don't care. I'm sick of not being who I'm meant to be. I don't care if I don't become some big badass trainer. I don't care if I don't make it to the Elite Four. I just want to be given the chance to fail and die.

Giga Flare

The Onion Knight
    Years
  • Chapter Two: Pinwheel Forest Mayhem

"Life happens when you're making other plans."
    -John Lennon​

When I was 12 I lived in Johto for about two weeks before the Marshalls deemed it unsafe for me to live in. Apparently Mahogany Town had been one of Team Rocket's strongholds. I loved the place with every fiber of my being. The people there were great and the gym leader, I aspired to be like him. Pryce was a strong man despite his age. He used to take me and a bunch of other kids down to Lake of Rage when he wasn't overseeing the gym. I learned how to fish and even made my first friend. I couldn't remember his name for the life of me though. I didn't want to leave to some city where people were cold and suspicious of everyone else. Mahogany had been the first real place I wanted to call home. The first place that I would try so hard not to mess up. But, of course, the Marshalls didn't care. So I ended up being moved to the Sinnoh region. I hated everything about the Sinnoh region, especially Solaceon Town. During my time in Solaceon Town I got to watch hopeful 10 year olds pass through the town. That was when I concocted a plan that would get me on my rightful path to being a trainer in the one place I actually had good memories, Johto. I planned every detail. I knew I wouldn't be staying in Sinnoh for long and there was no way in hell they would take me back to Johto or Kanto. So that left Hoenn and Unova. I knew at one point I would be in Unova. But when, I guessed some time around my 15th or 16th birthday. I kept all the money the Marshalls ever gave me and hid it in my Spoink Bank. Whenever I did get to Unova, I would take a test for my trainer's license. I would capture a Pokemon, any Pokemon, there and then leave to Johto, the place they would least expect me to be if I valued my life.

I only stayed in Sinnoh for about a year and a half before some new group had emerged named Team Galactica. The Marshalls had told me that the leader of Galactica was in cohorts with Giovanni and I was moved again. I had no problem with that, until they moved me to Pacfidlog Town in Hoenn. It was sheer hell. The entire idea of the fact that someone would build a town on wooden rafts just made me feel uneasy. Sometimes I would take an unexpected bath with Sharpedo and whatever other Pokemon inhabited the waters. A lot of the time I was afraid to go to sleep because I was scared that the raft would break and the house would plunge to the bottom of the ocean.

Then four weeks ago, out of the blue, they move me to Nimbasa City in Unova. One of the Legendaries must have heard my pleas to get me out of that town. As soon as I got there, behind Marshall Holcomb's back I applied for my trainer license under one of the many alias I had gone by. The good thing about Unova is that you don't need a parent or guardians consent to get one either. I passed, thank Arceus, and they gave me my very first Pokedex, Pokeball, and trainer's license. They offered to give me one of the regions starters, but I declined. I'm going to catch myself a Pokemon. Not a Deerling though… Those things scare me.

And tomorrow is the day I go out to Pinwheel Forest and catch a Venipede.

"Wake up, kid," Marshall Holcomb said as he tapped his fist gently against the door.

I groaned and pulled my cover over my head. I didn't know why he insisted on waking me up before he left for work. "Just a few more minutes…"

"No. Get up. I'm leaving for work and I want to make sure you eat breakfast before I go, so get up," He said, wiggling the locked door knob violently.

Marshall Fletcher Holcomb was actually a really decent guy, well compared to the other Marshalls he was. I think he was in his late twenties or early thirties. He had short, shaggy black hair and brown eyes. His face was always shaved clean, not leaving a single stray hair. Whenever I saw him he was usually wearing a black suit with a police badge on the right upper hand side of the suit. He always kept everything neat, and I mean absolutely everything. The towels in the bathroom had to be just right or he flipped out. Even his Pokemon, an Arcanine and Vaporeon, knew not to mess anything up. Anyway, besides suffering from OCD, he was actually a really friendly person.

I crawled out of bed, wiped my eyes, and complained about whatever possibly came to mind. I shuffled over lazily to the door and unlocked it. Fletcher opened the door almost immediately and ended up hitting me in the face.

"Ow!" I yelled, holding my nose, "What the hell?"

Fletcher smiled at me then grabbed a fistful of my shirt and pulled me out of the room and into the kitchen. On the table was a plate of eggs and bacon and a glass of orange juice. Fletcher noticed that first four days I had been living with him, that I didn't eat breakfast. The idea of a growing teenage boy not eating breakfast seemed like blasphemy to him. So everyday since he made sure I did.

"Eat all of it," He said as I sat down at the table and took a fork in my left hand. "I'm leaving Lily with you today. Take her out with you when you go out and be sure to feed her or she will be most unkind. And remember to be home before eight or I will come looking for you."

I nodded my head slowly, trying to pretend that I wasn't seething with joy. What were my chances that I'd have help trying to catch my starter Pokemon? Lily would weaken that poor unsuspecting Venipede and I'd catch it with one Pokeball. I figured Lily would listen to me. I mean she was a guard Pokemon, right? She was meant to protect so she had to listen to commands easily.

Fletcher patted me on the back and told me to have a nice, hopefully uneventful day before he disappeared through the front door.

As soon as I heard the car pull off, I started to get up to throw away my untouched food since the last thing I wanted was food before I headed off to Pinwheel Forest, but Lily put her fish finned tail on my lap and hissed at me.

"Okay. Okay. I get it. No need to get snippy with me," I sighed and sat back down and stuffed the remainder of the food in my mouth. I rolled my eyes at her showed her the plate when I was done.

"Vapor!" She removed her tail from my lap, allowing me to get up. She sure reminded me of her trainer.

"Sheesh…" I sighed, as I patted her on the head. She rubbed gently against my leg as I placed the dishes in the sink. She trailed behind me as I headed up to my room to take a shower. She hopped on top of my bed and curled up in my blankets. I didn't even bother telling her to get off.

When I was done taking a shower I put on a plain black long sleeve shirt. Over that I put on a black vest with red zippers. I slipped into a pair of faded blue jeans and red shoes with straps. Lily watched me the entire time, occasionally throwing a "Vaporeon" or some form of it here and there.

I dug my hand in between my mattress for the Pokedex and Pokeball I had received from the lab. Lily stood up to get a better look at it and when she seemed to recognize it, she hit me in the face with her tail.

"Lily, you're so violent…" I moaned, pushing her tail away from me. This day wasn't going to end well if she kept assaulting me. I put the Pokedex and Pokeball into a hidden compartment in the inner side of my vest. "Well, c'mon Lily. You're going to help me capture a Pokemon."

"Va…?" She tilted her head to the side.

"I don't know if that's a yes or a no… but I'm gonna pretend it's a yes. Now come on," I shrugged, walking out of the room. Lily followed promptly behind me.

Lily, for some strange reason, decided to attach herself to my leg as soon as I stepped onto the front porch. I nearly tripped over her tail just because it was pretty uncalled for. "Lily, what the hell?" I snapped. She ignored me and proceeded to scan the area- eyes moving rapidly from side to side. Her tail swished behind her too. And for a moment I thought I was in danger until she detached herself from me and trotted off down the steps. I made sure to the doors before following after her.

Nimbasa City was actually a really nice place to live in. It had lots of sights to see such as the Ferris wheel, Musical Theather, Big Stadium, and Small Court. I usually spent my time on or hanging around the Ferris Wheel. There was something about it that was just… captivating to me. I especially liked going there at night when it was all lit up and couples would get on it.

Oh and let's not forget the Gear Station, home to the Battle Subway. I often went there to see what kinds of trainers had the guts to go through it since I heard it was brutal. Of course since I didn't have any Pokemon I couldn't go onto the train so instead I would wait until they came back from the challenge to see if they won or lost. I could tell if they won or lost judging by the way they would hold themselves afterwards or by the expressions on their faces. I hadn't seen a lot of winners.

I took a bus to Castelia. Then I had to take a taxi to the edge of the city. The cab driver turned out to be a very talkative man. Lily even tried to engage in the conversation despite the fact she didn't speak the same language as us.

By the time I reached Skyarrow Bridge it was still early in the morning but it was already packed with commuters, travelers, and trainers alike. Most of them seemed to be trainers. Some of them were stopped off to the side, pitting their Pokemon against one another. Normally I wouldn't pass up on an offer to see a Gabite and a Milotic go at it, but my main focus was on catching that Venipede.

I hoped that no one would challenge me to a battle. I wasn't sure how Fletcher would react if I came home with an unconscious Vaporeon in my arms. Just thought sent a shudder down my spine. Though it was hard to imagine Fletcher getting mad over anything other than moved cups or the forks being placed with the spoons.

Thankfully I made it to Pinwheel Forest without any incident. Lily became very weary the moment we stepped in. I patted her head in an attempt to get her to stop whining. She licked my hand and nudged me forward with her tail.

"We're looking for a Venipede, okay?" I told her as we pushed through some tall grass. I'd never been in tall grass before that moment. Just the entire ordeal was riveting. The fact that any moment a Pokemon could attack me was exciting. In reality, it really shouldn't have been. I could get paralyzed or poisoned, even worse, Lily could and I didn't have the slightest idea on how to cure her. Of course at the time, it didn't cross my mind.

I passed some Sewaddle and its evolution, a few Petilil, a few Pidove, some Pansages, and a Cottonee. Not a single Venipede. I wasn't going to settle for anything other than what I came to the forest for.

The farther we traveled into the forest, the foggier it got. I shrugged it off. I would leave as soon as I got that Venipede. I don't really know what was my fascination with the violet colored bug Pokemon. None of the Pokemon around Nimbasa were interesting. Venipede wasn't even that awesome either in retrospect. To find something like Deino or Yamask, which both had awesome evolutions, I would have had to venture further than a day's walk. I couldn't make it there and back before Fletcher came home and the last thing I wanted was a bunch of Marshalls looking for me. At least Pinwheel Forest was only an hour and a half away from Fletcher's house.

"Vaporeon!" Lily cried out suddenly.

"W-What, Lily?" I asked, cautiously taking a step back.

"Vapor!" She nudged at my leg. I just stared at her blankly. "Reon…" She hissed once she realized I had no clue what she was trying to tell me. She shot her water gun in front of me.

And there it was. A Venipede.

"Yes!" I cheered and threw my arms around Lily's neck. "Thank you, Lily!" She licked my cheek. "All right Lily," I said as I got to my feet. I pointed at the unsuspecting Venipede who, as far as I could tell was too busy chewing on a leaf to even acknowledge our existence. "hit it…uhm… softly. Weaken it just enough so I can catch it, okay?"

Lily nodded her head and slowly crept forward. I waited with anticipation as she got ready to pound. I was finally going to capture my first Pokemon. When she did, the Venipede didn't see it coming… and neither did a Cottonee who I didn't see until the last second. Lily hit the Venipede with her paw and at the same time smacked the Cottonee as hard as she could with her tail. The Cottonee disappeared within behind some bushes while the Venipede struggled to get back on its feet.

"Great job, Lily!" I smiled and pulled the Pokeball out of my pocket. I pressed the button in the middle of the Pokeball for it to expand. "Well, here goes nothing…" I threw it with all my might at the struggling bug.

But then, the most unexpected thing happened. The Cottonee that Lily had disposed of only moments before floated back and fell right in front of the Venipede.

"No!" I screamed as my Pokeball hit the giant cotton ball. Even the wild Venipede and Lily looked shocked as it disappeared into the bright white light. The ball shook violently.

Oh Arceus, no! Escape the ball! Escape the ball!

Much to my demise, the ball stopped moving and a loud beep rang out. I had caught the Cottonee.

"What the hell!" I cried out, grabbing a fistful of my hair and pulling.

Back