• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If I said I trained a Stunfisk, would you hold it against me?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • 618.png

Herpin' your derp.

Okay, so the point of this is just a discussion. There are loads of Pokemon out there in the land of Pokemon, and while some are simply amazing, such as Chandelure or Alakazam, there are those which aren't as good as the others which some people prefer to train, because they're not as good, and provide more of a challenge. Those Pokemon such as Stunfisk or Alomomola which aren't as good in battle, are those Pokemon which people prefer to train, because they're not so good.

Do you like to train those "weaker" than other strong Pokemon?

I personally like to train those which are weaker than those amazing Pokemon, since they do provide more of a Challenge to the game, which is the best part of playing a game like this. Having that challenge against all the gym leaders and the elite four is what makes the game fun.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • First of all - I love the title of this thread lol

But no, I don't like to train the weaker ones for more challenge. I like to feel that my work is paying off, and training inherently weak Pokemon makes my patience wear thin.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't train completely weak Pokemon, but I don't go out of my way to make sure I have the most powerful or the best team either. My competitive battler friend kept trying to give me advice on my team and I kept telling him that I didn't care, I like my team and if it lacks defense so be it.

Years
  • I think sometimes I train weaker Pokemon. I like training whatever Pokemon I like.
    This thread has an awesome title :D.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • I train only my favorites, and yes, some of them are pretty weak. Though the ones who are weak can get increasingly better when evolved or just get to a high enough level to learn a very good move. People are too quick to judge and want fast results. I like the feeling of satisfaction when my hard work pays off in the end.

Though, I'm not going to condemn people who only like the stronger pokemon. Everyone is free to play as they like. I only wish they didn't force themselves to use something that isn't their favorite just because 'it doesn't meet battling criteria'.

I say, play the game with your favorites, and then when it's over, go all out and make a competitive team for the battling stations and those wifi battles. That way everyone wins and all of the weaker pokemon get a chance to shine.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • I Train Weaker Pokemon All The Time Then I put them into battle against my friends.... All Pokemon have Strength and Weaknesses so I Don't Really Consider any Pokemon Weak

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I do give weaker Pokemon a chance to battle the gym leaders and the elite four sometimes. I wanted to give them a mega-boost up when battling a higher-leveled Pokemon, and I get really lucky sometimes.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Does Cherubi count...? If so, I have trained a "weaker," Pokemon. I'm not completely sure--but for now, my answer is yes.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • -has a level 67 Stunfisk-

I'll train anything if I actually feel like raising it, tbh. So I've trained plenty of "weak" Pokemon.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Sometimes, when I get bored and have an extra game, I like to restart it and attempt to play it through replacing the starter with an egg of a "less popular" pokémon early on. That single time I went through a Dunsparce-only run...Heh, that was the day.

Also, do not assume that a pokémon with low BST is necessarily terrible (or is going to remain terrible). Ditto, Sableye, Smeargle, and Wobuffet were all ridiculed in the generation they were introduced in as little more then gimmicks unfit for serious battling, yet all the same:

Ditto gained Imposter in Generation V and now it can counter top tier threats.
    Sableye gained Prankster also in Generation V, allowing it along with its defensive typing to become a brilliant set-up pokémon.
    Smeargle's unique trait bolstered in usefulness as more and more moves were introduced, making him one of the best Baton-Passers in the game, and Moody in Generation V made him arguably an even better passer then Mew, to the point where the ability was banned in all but unrated matches.
    Wobuffet gained Shadow Tag in Generation II, and until recently was considered too powerful for competitive play.

Of course, that's not to say that EVERY "weak" pokémon will eventually gain a special ability that allows it to shine (sorry Unown), but it certainly leaves a glimmer of hope.

On the topic of Unown...Perhaps I should try playing through a game soloing with one...

Flamboyant

Girlpowershipping fangirl ♥
    Years
  • The title made my day.

So, on the topic. I raise every pokemon I want to raise, I don't care about the stats at all. I do a first runtrought with my main team, without raising anyone else, then I form other teams or I just level up the others, cause I want to :)

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Nah, I won't hold it against you if you train a Stunkfish. :) If it's your favorite, then go for it. I'm not really sure, but I might be in the same boat as you- I train an Audino named Benny, and an Absol named Alice. Both kick some serious tail. (Brave nature + Payback = pwnege.:))

How Pokemon hold up in battle is a bit important to me, but if I like 'em, and if they kill stuff or take hits well, then I train with them. It doesn't matter to me if anyone else thinks they're inferior. I like them, so I keep them. It's just how I roll. :)

P.S. Funny title. :D

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • I like to train pokemon that have a role or will eventually have a role in my team. like tank, or sweeper, things like that. if a pokemon can fill a role in my team i will train it. its usually not one of those "weaker" pokemon. i remember training a spinda for a long time but i eventually got rid of it. its not that they have bad stats, its that they have overall bad stats. but if someone had really high def but nothing else then i would probably still use it.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I train my favorites Pokemon for the storyline. Sometimes those Pokemon are strong; sometimes they're on the weaker end of the spectrum. For a specific example, I was raising a Lotad on my Emerald version because I wanted to.

Either way, I still have fun raising them, which is what matters.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I used a Stunfisk in Black. He slaughtered dragons and didn't afraid of anything. :D

I train whatever Pokemon I happen to feel like training, regardless of type advantages or team structure or how "weak" they are. In-game it really doesn't matter. You could easily beat any Pokemon game with a team of Luvdisks, provided you levelled them up enough. In competitive play it's a bit tougher to get by with "weak" Pokemon, but in the end it's all about fun. If I enjoy using a Pokemon I'll use it.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Hehehe @Title.

I don't train "weak" Pokemon because don't like them. I'm not a hardcore battler so my teams are OU or Uber or whatever, but those Pokemon considered as "weak" just don't appeal to me. I only train my favourites.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I sometimes give my statisically weak Pokemon a chance to battle so that they'll eventually gain enough experience to take on stronger Pokemon. Some of those Pokemon I train may have evolved forms that have superior stats (like Venipede).

Years
  • Lmao at the title :D

The only "weak" pokémon I've ever trained is Azurill, purely because it's one of my favourites and I wanted to use it on my team, despite its weaknesses lol :P

Virgilia

Chronos.
    Years
  • I tend to judge a Pokémon on their looks and how powerful they are, so no, I don't really. xD But I do just catch them anyway, because you know... "Gotta catch 'em all!"

Back