• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If I said I trained a Stunfisk, would you hold it against me?

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I tend go by whether I like a Pokémon's design rather than sheer strength when it comes to building a team.
    So yes, I do sometimes train "weak" Pokémon. But not Stunfisk. When I first heard that thing fart at me I almost dropped my DS in confusion.

As my good friend Elite 4 Karen said:
    Strong Pokémon, Weak Pokémon, it doesn't matter.
    Real trainers battle with their favourites.

AntiZero

Remember?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    I don't really train weak Pokemon during the main story, as I'm focusing on raising a strong team, but after the story is over, I'll sometimes train some random Pokemon in my PC to see how strong they could potentially. This is actually really helpful for determining what Pokemon I'll be using on my next playthrough. :)

Years
  • I've trained Pokemon that lack evolution lines before, such as Tauros, Spiritomb and Hitmonchan (in Yellow), but that's as far as I've gone. I just feel that I require a strong team to beat the Elite Four and
    there's no point in training something that will probably end up as a liability to me.

Years
  • I'm in the middle of raising a Stunfisk. It's at lvl 40 right now. I'm whimsical and just pick random pokemon to raise sometimes for the fun of it without really caring about how battle-worthy they are.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I don't know if they're weak but I train some Pokemon I like in each game to level 100 for fun. Though for my A-team I train the Pokemon I like the best, I don't care if they are weak or strong.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • *holds the Stunfisk against you*
    This title is epic :L

I always train my favourites but in the likes of a brand new spankin' set of Pokés like in B/W it's pretty much trial and error. I've found out that Zebstrika and Swanna weren't very useful to be, storyline-wise. Oh and that Psychic types really suffer in this game, due to all the dark-types and dark-type moves that crop up in the randomest Pokémon -.-

But in the older games, on each playthrough I try to stick to one favourite and five different ones from my last playthrough. Like in HeartGold I've started with Chikorita for the first time ever with a Squirtle [Always picked Charmander before]

I really wanna try raising a weaker Pokémon though, the only "weak" Pokémon I've ever raised was a Magikarp. (Boy, waiting for that thing to evolve was a real nightmare -.-)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I've found out that Zebstrika and Swanna weren't very useful to be, storyline-wise.
    How ironic, because I have both of them on my team, and both of 'em have helped me every now and then with something.

While I'm playing the storyline, I use whatever seems appealing to me, even if it isn't one of the strongest Pokemon out there. My White version is a great example of that, as it has Swanna, Zebstrika, and Cinccino. Swanna has actually done be some good, but my Zebstrika was a pain to level as a Blitzle, and my Cinccino has such bad defenses that I either have to hopefully put the enemy to sleep in hopes of withering them down, hope I can OHKO them, or hope she survives more than one attack. Regardless though, I love all three of them, even if I probably won't be using them for competitive play.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    Archeops being my favorite rock-type...............................But it still makes B/W easy mode.....

And I have nothing against one training a Stunfisk, or any "weak" pokemon.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • How ironic, because I have both of them on my team, and both of 'em have helped me every now and then with something.

While I'm playing the storyline, I use whatever seems appealing to me, even if it isn't one of the strongest Pokemon out there. My White version is a great example of that, as it has Swanna, Zebstrika, and Cinccino. Swanna has actually done be some good, but my Zebstrika was a pain to level as a Blitzle, and my Cinccino has such bad defenses that I either have to hopefully put the enemy to sleep in hopes of withering them down, hope I can OHKO them, or hope she survives more than one attack. Regardless though, I love all three of them, even if I probably won't be using them for competitive play.

I guess its cause my Swanna was more of a HM slave. I dunno, I just didn't like it which in itself is ironic because I thought it would be my favourite :L
    and Zebstrika was fast but with nil defence which is a no, no for me D: I should really learn to EV train xD :3
    I wasn't calling them weak as such they just didn't really work for me. ^.^'

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • For the next couple of hours, this is one of the greatest titled threads on the forum, completely unintentionally.

To answer the question: I am notorious for not catching any Pokemon I don't intend to either use for a considerable length of time or as part of a 'final team', so to speak. I told my roommate that I normally only capture about 10 Pokemon throughout the entire game and he almost had a stroke! So... I wouldn't hold it against you if you trained a Stunfisk, but I sure as hell wouldn't train one myself. Just not the way I roll.

Years
  • I tend go by whether I like a Pokémon's design rather than sheer strength when it comes to building a team.
    So yes, I do sometimes train "weak" Pokémon. But not Stunfisk. When I first heard that thing fart at me I almost dropped my DS in confusion.

As my good friend Elite 4 Karen said:

Karen FTW!! My favourite Elite Four member :D

Years
  • i train whichever pokemon i think look cool. this usually means is train weak pokemon as most good looking pokemon are weak (emolga) and most (certainly not all though) strong pokemon are fugly. not alakazam though, who is awesome.

i also find it annoying when watching lets plays, and they put a pokemon in there party purely because its powerful, even though its ugly as hell. i can understand doing that in competitive battling, but in single player theres really no reason to.

Last edited:

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
  • brb bro laughing forever at this title.

Yeah, I pretty much train whatever I feel like ingame. I don't care if Blissey is awesome, it's not appealing to me at all and I"ll stick with my Audino, thank you. ;~;

But seriously, that's what Pokemon is about. It's about catching your favorites, training them, and watching them kick butt and then patting yourself on the back for a job well done. Personally, when I'm just muddling through the story and doing whatever, training whatever looks coolest at the time and watching them kick butt during the final battle just feels so much more accomplishing then watching some Pokemon I picked out based on some stats and movepool beat some kid in wi fi.

Years
  • I think everyone pokemon can someone fit onto a team, somewhere. Sometimes training the weaker pokemon can be the most fun.
    Great thread title!

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • No, I wouldn't, in regards to Stunfisk:\ It's your choice what Pokemon you battle with, not mine.

As for training 'weak' Pokemon, I train Pokemon who I think look cool, have good stats, or both, so yes, I've trained a few 'weak' Pokemon.

After all, remember what Karen said!

Back