• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If Munna's sprite floats, why is its ability not levitate?

Almost Me

WHEEEEEEEEE
Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    How do Golett and Golurk look like Klutzes? Not only is that ability useless on them, I don't see how they're Klutzes. I think that their DW ability, No Guard should have been their secondary ability.

I think it's a reference to the fact that Golems are mythical creatures of Jewish origin, while Klutz I believe is a Jewish word.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I think it's a reference to the fact that Golems are mythical creatures of Jewish origin, while Klutz I believe is a Jewish word.

The Japanese name for Klutz was "Clumsy." Regardless, the Yiddish slang term "klots" comes from German anyway.

Let's also discuss Kling, Klang, and Klinklang's obnoxious ability to learn Electric-type attacks (even the mostly Electric-type exclusive Volt Switch) without actually being Electric-type. He doesn't get Levitate, or even Motor Drive, which would make tons more sense. Hell, even Skill Link would have been a better choice than Plus / Minus. Also, now that Plus / Minus are the SAME ABILITY in Generation V, there is NO POINT in having both on the same Pokemon. Klinklang isn't a magnet, it's a gear. Get it straight.

Though, maybe Plus / Minus are the gears' genders, 'cause they're genderless Pokemon ;)

edit Also give Solrock Solar Power and Meteor Mash ffs and Lunatone Magic Guard and Wish. Is this too much to ask?

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Apparently the thread creator doesn't want the title discussed, though personally, I think it creates more discussion, so meh. From now on I guess just post about the Pokemon that have "wrong" abilities in your view. Though you are free to discuss each other's posts.

Either way, we'll see how this goes in B/W and if it ends up broadening to other Pokemon, then PGC can have it.

Anyway, Emboar should have Sturdy. I don't care that it's a starter - look at the way it's built, it's almost screaming for Sturdy. D<
    They should at least have made it's dream world ability Sturdy...but the two abilities it does have fit nicely...it just needs a third...

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • but this is a ability thread so I have to agree with Eelektross having Levitate, it just makes no sense (what a waste of an ability)
    :t354:TG

Can you care to explain why it doesn't make any sense?

the one that really bugs me is Magnezone...he's obviously floating using his magnets or w/e...but doesn't have levitate...he learn's magnet rise to get around that, but still! he's already floating...he should already have levitate

Like Gymnotide said earlier, the move Earthquake doesn't just shake the ground. What it does is:

Gymnotide said:
    What you do is you TEAR THE GROUND ASUNDER AND CAUSE TECTONIC PLATES TO RISE UP INTO THE AIR AND EXPLODE INTO DEATH-INFLICTING SHRAPNEL. That's why it can hit floating Pokemon. Pokemon with Levitate can float higher. ^

Got that memorized? Also, Magnezone and Electrode's family
    "float" by using electricity. It is only normal that they get hit
    by the move, Earthquake.

The Japanese name for Klutz was "Clumsy." Regardless, the Yiddish slang term "klots" comes from German anyway.

Let's also discuss Kling, Klang, and Klinklang's obnoxious ability to learn Electric-type attacks (even the mostly Electric-type exclusive Volt Switch) without actually being Electric-type. He doesn't get Levitate, or even Motor Drive, which would make tons more sense. Hell, even Skill Link would have been a better choice than Plus / Minus. Also, now that Plus / Minus are the SAME ABILITY in Generation V, there is NO POINT in having both on the same Pokemon. Klinklang isn't a magnet, it's a gear. Get it straight.

Though, maybe Plus / Minus are the gears' genders, 'cause they're genderless Pokemon ;)

edit Also give Solrock Solar Power and Meteor Mash ffs and Lunatone Magic Guard and Wish. Is this too much to ask?

Nope, it's not too much to ask.
    And what's so strange about the Klinklang family
    being able to learn Electric type moves?
    I mean, look at their appearances. Their looks tell me
    that learning Electric type moves is possible for them.

That's just like asking, why do Gyarados, Weezing or even small
    dogs like Lillipup is capable of learning Thunderbolt?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Nope, it's not too much to ask.
    And what's so strange about the Klinklang family
    being able to learn Electric type moves?
    I mean, look at their appearances. Their looks tell me
    that learning Electric type moves is possible for them.

That's just like asking, why do Gyarados, Weezing or even small
    dogs like Lillipup is capable of learning Thunderbolt?

I just thought it was obnoxious that Electric-type moves comprise such a large portion of their movepool, but they don't even have the typing or Ability to go along with it (which is why I wanted Motor Drive). Skill Link would make sense if you consider that it's signature move is a multi-hit move ;~;

The other ones you list don't have half their movepool devoted to Electric-type attacks, but Klinklang learns Charge, Thundershock (and is the only non-Electric-type to learn it), Charge Beam, Discharge, Zap Cannon, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Volt Switch (and is one of the few non-Electric-types that learn it alongside Cobalion, Probo/Nosepass, Forretress, and Mew), and Thunder Wave. It makes sense that Nosepass and Probopass learn Electric-type moves since they're magnets and magnetic force is directly correlated to electric force, but Klinklang isn't a magnet! That's why they should have at least given him an Ability that had to do with Electric-types -___-

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Lots of pokemon are like this such as numerous ghost types and like the magnemite line. however maybe they should put a larger range of abilities a pokemon may have

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm still wondering why Sawk has Sturdy. And why Golurk doesn't.

I'm also baffled at the presence of Sand Rush on Herdier/Stoutland.

If Munna's sprite floats, why is its ability not levitate?

It's like that, but faster. :3

Gothitelle, Gothitelle can't have 7 abilities xD Frisk is an interesting ability, but not one that screams Gothitelle to me. However, I can't think of one that really does. The ones you pointed out don't sound like they match Gothitelle, just that you want them because they make it stronger, lol.

Oh wait I think Forewarn would be good for it, considering it can see the future according to the Dex entry.

Years

• Gothitelle, Gothitelle can't have 7 abilities xD Frisk is an interesting ability, but not one that screams Gothitelle to me. However, I can't think of one that really does. The ones you pointed out don't sound like they match Gothitelle, just that you want them because they make it stronger, lol.

Frisk does actually match sense the Pokedex entry says that her bows can see things it can only see. Meaning Gothia's but I think it also applies to Gothitelle.

Oh and about the entry ideas of mine, I can think of reasons why they can work.

Inner focus: keeps the user from flinching. Gothitelle is a pretty focused Pokemon. So not letting moves like fake-out phase her does kind of match.

Defiant: raises the user's attack stat x2 after a foe with Intimidate lowers them or if the foe uses an attack lowering status move. Gothitelle can use fighting moves, but it's frustrating when I am in battle and Grimsley brings out his Krookidle and it lowers that my Attack by 50%. I had to use Brick Break 3 times. To match the fighting spirit, Defiant is perfect.

Sturdy: the user cannot be one hit ko'd due to their sturdy structure. Gothitelle is bulky... why nawt? Okay she's not surrounded by jello.. she's a girl... however she has a high defense stat.. it makes sense D:

Moxie: raises the user's attack stat x1 after defeating an enemy. Okay maybe Moxie is a little outrageous on my part but why does Scrafty have it? Besides. Gothitelle is a fighter if trained well... she deserves the Moxie.

Guts: raises attack if there is a status problem. Shows that she can weather through anything. Plus Gothitelle has guts if she can use Brick Break against Hydreigon and win.

Intimidate: lowers foes attack stat by 50%. Come'on... I mean the girl looks intimidating. Her eyes and everything. Plus it can protect her from being hurt critically by Crunch.

Magic Guard: user can only be hurt by attacks.. not status moves. To show a certian green jelly bear that we are in it's league.

Well that's all my reasons lol

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Frisk does actually match sense the Pokedex entry says that her bows can see things it can only see. Meaning Gothia's but I think it also applies to Gothitelle.

To be fair, I only looked at Gothitelle's 'dex for my analysis, not the other twos, so you have me there. Although still, a lot of the Pokemon I can tell just by looking that the ability fits them.

Inner focus: keeps the user from flinching. Gothitelle is a pretty focused Pokemon. So not letting moves like fake-out phase her does kind of match.

This one I can see from reading the other entries, I'll grant you that.

Defiant: raises the user's attack stat x2 after a foe with Intimidate lowers them or if the foe uses an attack lowering status move. Gothitelle can use fighting moves, but it's frustrating when I am in battle and Grimsley brings out his Krookidle and it lowers that my Attack by 50%. I had to use Brick Break 3 times. To match the fighting spirit, Defiant is perfect.

There's the "I want it to make her stronger", not wanting it because it fits. :P Its stats are clearly special attack-related (55 attack, 95 special), and it can only learn two fighting moves, so an ability like that would make no sense on it tbh. There's nothing that mentions that her fighting spirit is any stronger than any other Pokemon as far as I know.

Sturdy: the user cannot be one hit ko'd due to their sturdy structure. Gothitelle is bulky... why nawt? Okay she's not surrounded by jello.. she's a girl... however she has a high defense stat.. it makes sense D:

Being a girl doesn't have anything to do with it, but she's not a sturdy-seeming Pokemon. That ability is generally given to Rock and Ground types, types that would logically be more withstanding of a hit than other types. Her defense is higher than the average Psychic-type but not high enough to warrant her being sturdy-seeming.

Moxie: raises the user's attack stat x1 after defeating an enemy. Okay maybe Moxie is a little outrageous on my part but why does Scrafty have it? Besides. Gothitelle is a fighter if trained well... she deserves the Moxie.

You should make a post about what you want to change Scrafty's ability to and why you don't agree with it, that's what the thread's all about :3 I'm sticking with the idea that Gothitelle itself is not a physical fighter. She learns a few physical moves but it's not her specialty and therefore shouldn't learn physical-boosting abilities, they would be lost on her.

Guts: raises attack if there is a status problem. Shows that she can weather through anything. Plus Gothitelle has guts if she can use Brick Break against Hydreigon and win.

Your Gothitelle isn't every Gothitelle. Should my Beartic have Guts because it killed Hydreigon with a Blizzard? That's no reason to say it should have it, because your Gothitelle did something in your game that you commanded it to do. This is one that you want, but doesn't fit.

Intimidate: lowers foes attack stat by 50%. Come'on... I mean the girl looks intimidating. Her eyes and everything. Plus it can protect her from being hurt critically by Crunch.

She has bows and lipstick. You may think she's intimidating, but no one else really does so I can't agree with you there. And that last sentence was another example of wanting it so it makes you stronger, lol.

Magic Guard: user can only be hurt by attacks.. not status moves. To show a certian green jelly bear that we are in it's league.

This is wanting it just to be stronger, not because it fits. There are some good reasonings for this (her psychic power can create a forcefield, for example), but "to be stronger than Reuniclus" isn't really a reason at all, lol.

In short: Inner Focus could be justified, Magic Guard could be justified, but I don't see it for the rest of them. You're welcome to still disagree with my opinion on them though. (:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Apparently the thread creator doesn't want the title discussed, though personally, I think it creates more discussion, so meh. From now on I guess just post about the Pokemon that have "wrong" abilities in your view. Though you are free to discuss each other's posts.

Either way, we'll see how this goes in B/W and if it ends up broadening to other Pokemon, then PGC can have it.

Anyway, Emboar should have Sturdy. I don't care that it's a starter - look at the way it's built, it's almost screaming for Sturdy. D<

If we're talking about Pokemon and mismatched abilities, then Kyuremu and Pressure. ALL of its brethren (Reshiram and Zekrom) have Mold Breaker-esque abilities (Turboblaze and Teravolt). They couldn't just given him Mold Breaker to match? I mean, their connection is OBVIOUS. Implementing the cliched Pressure ability for legendaries just seems tacky. >.<

I'm hoping either Kyuremu or Articuno gains Snow Warning as an ability...somehow. Ever since I learned about it, I've been waiting for Articuno to acquire the ability due to its multiple entries of its wing-flapping causing snowfall. T_T

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years

• Frisk does actually match sense the Pokedex entry says that her bows can see things it can only see. Meaning Gothia's but I think it also applies to Gothitelle.

Well that's all my reasons lol

Obsession~

Why the bloody hell are you using Gothitelle as a physical fighter in the first place? You're well aware that its physical prowess is less-than-desired. lol Even with Guts or a Moxie boost, Gothitelle's Psychic will still do more damage on a neutral foe.

Psychic has bP 135 running on bSATK 95
    Brick Break has bP 75 running on bATK 55*1.5 = 82.5

You can argue super effectiveness, but that's just a silly argument. Just use Hidden Power [FGT]. Why are you running Gothitelle on Steel- and Dark-types anyway? Oh yeah and Calm Mind.

If we're talking about Pokemon and mismatched abilities, then Kyuremu and Pressure. ALL of its brethren (Reshiram and Zekrom) have Mold Breaker-esque abilities (Turboblaze and Teravolt). They couldn't just given him Mold Breaker to match? I mean, their connection is OBVIOUS. Implementing the cliched Pressure ability for legendaries just seems tacky. >.<

I'm hoping either Kyuremu or Articuno gains Snow Warning as an ability...somehow. Ever since I learned about it, I've been waiting for Articuno to acquire the ability due to its multiple entries of its wing-flapping causing snowfall. T_T

lol Kyurem is probably going to get a 3rd game specific alternate form like Giratina did. It's also probably going to lose Pressure like Giratina did and get a nice ability too.

Or GameFreak is just trolling us and Kyurem is just completely unrelated and is actually a meteorite, since it's found in a crater where Clefairy, Metang, Solrock, and Lunatone are also found.

Years
  • Obsession~

Why the bloody hell are you using Gothitelle as a physical fighter in the first place? You're well aware that its physical prowess is less-than-desired. lol Even with Guts or a Moxie boost, Gothitelle's Psychic will still do more damage on a neutral foe.

Psychic has bP 135 running on bSATK 95
    Brick Break has bP 75 running on bATK 55*1.5 = 82.5

You can argue super effectiveness, but that's just a silly argument. Just use Hidden Power [FGT]. Why are you running Gothitelle on Steel- and Dark-types anyway? Oh yeah and Calm Mind.

I'm nawt obsessed. I'm more so one of her biggest fans.

I used her as a physical fighter the second time around playing Black is because I wanted her to be an important part to my team. Also, fighters were widely respected. Also at the time, I didn't have a fight type, so Gothitelle was my peusedo-fighting type.

My new Gothitelle has Hidden Power of Fighting which worked out better than Brick Break or low sweep. So I do agree that it's attack is not as good.

However, with a Moxie ablity.. say it can help it out. Like Renuclus has tricks and an ability to help it's crappy speed and defenses, Gothitelle can have an ability that helps it's low attack.

Worknig with the equation you gave: Brick Break has bP 75 running on bATK 55*1.5 = 82.5 but times it by 50% after the moxie boost everytime... oh wait. I'm not sure if I am doing this right but I got 42.something. How the hell do I calculate a 50% boost? D: It's not supposed to be 42.

Wait maybe Moxie adds another 55 to the original base power which would come out to 110. Which if it were to go that way... it'd be helpful.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Chandelure also has the same problem as Munna...though a lot of Ghost's have that issue...though it would make Chandelure more of a beast as it would take away it's weakness to ground...

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • First 3 Pokemon you listed should never have Levitate. That's Wondertomb also waiting to happen.

Well, they'd still be able to be affected by 16 of the 17 types, so not quite Wondertomb status yet haha

But Magic Guard is actually a lot more broken than Levitate would be on Reuniclus. It keeps him nice and healthy from all status effects and blocks out Sandstorm / Hail / Spikes / Stealth Rock / basically anything. Levitate would just make him weak to everything (except Spikes and Toxic Spikes).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    However, with a Moxie ablity.. say it can help it out. Like Renuclus has tricks and an ability to help it's crappy speed and defenses, Gothitelle can have an ability that helps it's low attack.

Worknig with the equation you gave: Brick Break has bP 75 running on bATK 55*1.5 = 82.5 but times it by 50% after the moxie boost everytime... oh wait. I'm not sure if I am doing this right but I got 42.something. How the hell do I calculate a 50% boost? D: It's not supposed to be 42.

Wait maybe Moxie adds another 55 to the original base power which would come out to 110. Which if it were to go that way... it'd be helpful.

Reuniclus' ability has nothing to increase its Speed, lol. I'm guessing you don't do any metagame, but it's always better to amplify what the Pokemon does best, especially if the alternative is a stat no one uses. I know you (for some strange reason) want Gothitelle to be a physical attacker, but she would be much better off having an ability that takes advantage of her talents, instead of adding to something near-useless on her.

First 3 Pokemon you listed should never have Levitate. That's Wondertomb also waiting to happen.

I think you just hate that line because they outshine Gothitelle. ._. The ability they have is quite epic as it is, I doubt many people bother with Ground moves on it.

Back