• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If past you saw your desktop today?

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Let's just say a version of you from the past, say about the time you might have joined PC, travelled forward in time somehow and got a glimpse at your computer's desktop and the environment you had created there; wallpaper, icons, files in folders, pictures, posts on PC, ect. How do you think that the past you would react? Positively? Negatively? Do you know?

I myself actually have a hard time re-emulating the thought processes of me back that many years ago, due to the fact that I did lose some memories in 2010, but I feel like I'd be pretty impressed with myself today. :3

Feel free to share what you think your past self's reaction would maybe be! :3

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Hmmm.. 14 year old me was obsessed with flash animation, the red hot chili peppers, pokemon ROMs, emulation and computers in general. Currently my desktop is void of any files or icons and simply had a colourful Tame Impala reference for a wallpaper.

I'd probably think that's kind of a cool, trippy picture. And a tidy desktop.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I'll just go back 10+ years since I only joined PC in February.

"Where did all the icons go?"

Today I have everything in seven folders. Then there is the recycle bin. That's all I have on my desktop. Ages and ages ago, I loved having tons of icons on my desktop. The more the better!

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I joined in Feb 2006, so I was 14 and did not have my own computer lmao. I don't even think I knew what made a good desktop. I used my parent's computer and they never had anything special going on in the background, at least not that I can remember. I had those AOL timed sessions and dial-up, so I would be pretty darn happy that those were no longer a thing.

I have my favorite Peggy/Stan scene from Mad Men as my background photo and a few programs and games as my icons. I'd probably be confused as to who Peggy and Stan were and what the icons/programs do. I'd also be a little salt over the fact that my background was not Fruits Basket related.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I joined summer of last year, so I'm gonna roll it back to when I first got my laptop ~6 years ago.

"Where did you get this mushroom background?" "It was a present from Nintendo?! How?"
    "What happened to the icons, I had almost the entire desktop."
    "You can move taskbar now?! I got it stuck to the side when I started, and the task bar to the top on the desktop's screen on the other computer."
    "This shortcut is broken. Why did you delete this?"
    "What happened to the screensaver? I liked the bubbles."
    "You can unpin programs from the taskbar?!"
    "I want to play a game, where is the game shortcut?" "You got rid of it?! What games do you play now?!"
    "Why is everything saved to your Downloads?"
    "Why do you have 7 million folders? I can only find my stuff now."

That seems about accurate. Some of it was my thoughts when I figured that stuff out, like the unpinning programs and the position of the taskbar on the screen. (I got it stuck to the right side of the screen only a few months after I got it, and I left it like that for several years until I moved it by accident again. But I put it back.)
    Most of the stuff I have now is fairly recent, like most of my emulators except Desmume and VisualBoy Advance which are ~5 and ~4 years old respectively.
    ROM hacking was like a year and a half ago and the downloads folder being organized and becoming my main was over the course of the last 3 years.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    I would have been 14ish I think, using my parents' computer. So thought number 1: "Oh my god, I have my own computer - nice!"
    Next up I would be impressed and proud of how neat and tidy the desktop is with number of icons, as well as the cool Ornstein background I have going on. :)

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
    Since I only joined recently, I'll take 2010-ish as the year to go back to.

I was a huge hoarder. My desktop was such a mess and full of items that I sometimes had trouble finding things. At one point, I decided to arrange it according to my wallpaper, with icons in the dark areas, creating a mosaic of sorts and that made it even worse. Fast forward to 2016 and my desktop(s) have a maximum of six icons/folders on it and are neatly arranged, allowing me to find stuff easily as well as actually see my wallpaper. x'D

I think the past me would love what I have now. The only reason I had a terrible desktop was sloth and besides, he'd think my wallpaper is pretty rad too.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I'll take 2009.

"Whoa. You're off Windows 98? ABOUT TIME! It's so modern-looking..."

Yes, I had Win 98 in the late 2000s.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I'll take my past self from 2005

2005 self: "Oh wow! DOOM! AWESOME!"
    Me today: "B**ch while you were stuck playing DotA and not being a real man and a half like I am today, you won't get as many friends"

Yes my 2005 self used to have DotA (when LoL did not exist) as a wallpaper.

Years
    I don't even remember how my desktop was like back then (even though I might have pics somewhere that show it)...

I bet my reaction, after "hey, cool wallpaper", would be mostly like "dear god there are so many icons on this desktop now". I'm very bad with keeping my desktop tidy nowadays. Also "there are a lot of games here what are you doing".

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    He'd be impressed at how little clutter I have around. And perhaps surprised that I'd be using Firefox. Wish I had started sooner though.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    2010 self would probably be impressed by how neat and tidy everything is, though maybe seen as a little 'boring' as I have a plain minimalist background. There's a chance myself would question where all my files are, only for me to say it's all stored in the right folder under my user account e.g. actually putting documents in My Documents :P

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
    2007 me would ask where did all the game and messaging icons go. Games like WoW and messaging services like AIM, Yahoo, and MSN lol

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    "Oh hey my art looks a little better that's good!" and "oh so I get into Tales of Vesperia after all?" would probably be my top two reactions. The former because who wouldn't notice that their art does indeed get better in several years' time and the latter because back when Vesperia came out I wasn't interested. And now it's one of my top three Tales of Games. Look at how that worked out.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    My past would say.

Past Regalsin would say: Your a pusssy Regalsin, your a yellow vagina. How could you allow your electronic brain to be violated in that matter.

Future RegalSin said: Hey when you live inside of nation where everybody hates each other and the loves of your lives want money for blow, does it really matter anymore.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
    "Oh god you turned into a weeaboo? Where's MSN? What do you mean MSN is dead?! Well at least it looks pretty clean and the screen is huge."

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    "Oh you did finally fill the whole thing with icons, on a higher res no less."
    This reaction would be one of impression, not disappointment!

Back