• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If there is one thing forums have taught me

Years
    Is that wether anybody wants to admit it or not, popularity exists.
    User who has been around for a while = Everybody loves them
    New user = Everybody ignores them, and nobody bothers to get to know them better because everyone else is too busy talking with the popular users, thus meaning all of their threads die out.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    New user = Everybody ignores them, and nobody bothers to get to know them better because everyone else is too busy talking with the popular users, thus meaning all of their threads die out.
    Not true!

Well, at least I think there needs to be a bit more detail in here. I remember I was venting my thoughts in a word document some time ago, and I built some sort of PC social ladder. I might still have it, and if I can find it, I'll post it.

I found it! I was really mad when I was writing this out, so it's worded a bit harshly and with a bit of snark. Still, i think it really applies and adds a bit more detail to what you're trying to say.
    Spoiler:

Wow, I must have been really mad when I wrote that out because that was really mean. Hopefully you guys take it with a grain of salt, though. The basic message is there, at least.

Last edited:
    Years
    Not true!

Well, at least I think there needs to be a bit more detail in here. I remember I was venting my thoughts in a word document some time ago, and I built some sort of PC social ladder. I might still have it, and if I can find it, I'll post it.

I found it! I was really mad when I was writing this out, so it's worded a bit harshly and with a bit of snark. Still, i think it really applies and adds a bit more detail to what you're trying to say.
    Spoiler:

Wow, I must have been really mad when I wrote that out because that was really mean. Hopefully you guys take it with a grain of salt, though. The basic message is there, at least.

This about sums up what I'm saying.
    I have a bad feeling I will become one of the last to though.

Her

Years
    • Seen today

Popularity/cliques most certainly exist here but not in the way you're laying it out. There are plenty of old members who are universally despised and far more newer ones who have received the adulation of the memberbase. Trust me darling, I know.
    Although there is a certain amount of wariness towards newer members given that they've only been around for a short time, I don't think people consciously treat them as 'unpopular'.

I, for one, j'adore honey and she hasn't even celebrated one month of being on this wasteland yet!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    This about sums up what I'm saying.
    I have a bad feeling I will become one of the last to though.
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you just come here to chat and pass the time, everything should work out. I was probably at #4 before I was modded, and that's where I think the majority of people are. Just remember, even if you're not the most popular member, you're still a part of this community. I can think of a lot of members that aren't popular, and a few even find themselves at #7, but I wouldn't want them to leave. They fill a social role that PC needs to maintain the social ladder. And as much as I don't like the social ladder, it's a part of PC.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I'm really still and probably will be for a long while until I actually talk to people and decide to post more interestingly, a 4 and a 7 with the title of a supporter.

Years
    I can understand how some feel towards this "social ladder". When I started out here in 2011, I was a terrible person and often did bad things and felt like I needed to change my reputation. Then come 2012, I was given a Community Supporter title as a birthday gift, because the person who gave it said I "deserved it" and I think it was from there that I realized my mistakes and how it led to becoming what I am today.

And then again, there have been some members who got popular quick, like what Harley summed up.

As for where I stand on the social ladder, I think I was a #4 when I started because I was actually a fast poster even when I was new, and I ended up climbing to #3 after I got my supportership. These days I stand at #2 given I am friends with most of the staff and interact with a lot of staff on a personal basis, but I also regularly interact with fellow non-staffers as well for the sake of balance. In fact, some members think that I could one day be on the way to staff myself given the activity and image I've been having on the forums at this rate, but I still take it as a joke at the moment.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Honestly, while PC does seem to have some hierarchy (like how Nolafus elaborately pointed out at his first post), I'd like to object on the whole "users who have been around for a while" being famous. Pretty sure that there's a lot of users out there that's been on frequently but not really what you could call, "PC famous".

Like really, see my join date? Yeah, I'm not close with any of the staff at all. Maybe a couple of you would object but that's the truth haha.

I recall mentioning on a thread quite a long time ago regarding on how I don't want to become staff just to get the elusive "PC famous" title (or did I say the opposite?). That's basically how I view PC's social ladder. Everyone worships the staff. A user leaves staff? Boom! Not important anymore. And if said user is inactive, not "PC famous" anymore.

EDIT:
    Also, if anyone asks, I'll consider myself as a #8 "Lurker of many, poster of none", which is probably 80% of PC's population as well. Unless if anyone considers me to be a #4... can I object to that? :/

Last edited:

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    Oh yeah I'm a newb okay gimme a break okay jesus.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I have to say that I'm a #4. It's not that bad, But it's how thing works. I'm the kind of person who likes to be noticed.
    Wait for Steve to get on, you're about to become one with the clique

OP, I'll be honest and say I know where you're coming from. From a lot of angles that sort of thing is easily visible, although it's not so cut-and-dry. As an outsider it can look and appear that way and in a lot of ways what you see as someone not part of it is true… but it's not the only truth. It's a big friend circle and to anyone outside it it may seem impenetrable, but it is. Just play along. ;)

Things can get really chummy and whatnot around PC, but most everyone here does it in honest fun. That sort of thing isn't some people's bag though, and can be a turn-off. Do what you will, try to enjoy yourself. That's all I can say.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
    Lol im new, but im not sure what i classify as. Ussualy i have a small group of friends that chat via pm by now. Not yet though...

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    You are a teenager right?
    Let me tell you something. Once you grow up to your twenties popularity aint that important. Just be yourself. If you are a new poster, hey nobody knows you don;t assume them to jump on you I hope you dont expect that in RL either.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    I'm a combination of 2-3-4.
    Hitting the 7 year mark later this year I'm counted as a PC Veteran, but that doesn't mean I'm close with any of the staff or anything. They're all nice people to talk to, but it's not like I talk to them on a regular basis out of forum posts and threads.I'm a supporter but I guess I also count as a Well-Traveled Member. Despite me sticking to the Anime/Manga and art/design sections most of the time, I post in multiple places.

Just because I have been a while, doesn't mean I am anywhere near popular. There are members here who have been here for around a year or 2, maybe less who are definitely more well known than I am.

As to the OP, Nolafus pretty much covered it, but don't expect to hit 7 when you've only just started here. You're a new member, but that doesn't mean you are going to instantly become an outcast. Time is important, but so is networking, talking and meeting new people. Make the effort and do what you can do, post, reply and interact with other people.

Personally I feel like PC is a lot different than other forums I've been on (and I've been on A LOT of forums). The atmosphere and the people are incredibly nice and welcoming especially to newcomers. You've just got to go with the flow and start conversing and posting more.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    By the way I am #6 see my join date ? /i come up and down with new games or not ;)

Years
    I don't get why PC gets so much hate for its "social ladder". PC is pretty chilled compared to some forums, Mods act just like normal members, Ive seen forums where mods are unknown using a user account just for modding and another account for normal postings.
    Also nothing is worse than people brown nosing Mods and the elite cliques that sometimes pop up, which does not happen on here (or least not from what I have seen).
    All in all its quite a nice happy community on here, or at least thats what I feel.

as for the number thing no idea which number I would be.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    Wait... Harsh? lelwat
    Well, it's not exactly worded nicely, and you know how some people get offended by everything, so I was playing it safe. I actually went back through and edited some parts out before posting it, so I was still thinking of that.

I also think that PC's social ladder is more forgiving than other forums, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, haha.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    Well, it's not exactly worded nicely, and you know how some people get offended by everything, so I was playing it safe. I actually went back through and edited some parts out before posting it, so I was still thinking of that.

I also think that PC's social ladder is more forgiving than other forums, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, haha.
    Yeah, I get what you're trying to say, hence why I always carry this with me:
    If there is one thing forums have taught me

Back