• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If they Replace Ash...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • It won't happen, but who would they replace Ash with in the anime if his journey were to be completed? This is just a hypothetical question, at best, since the anime probably won't replace him like they did with Brock and the other main characters.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • Um.. I beleive, Gary. He's had one off the longest term rivalry with Ash. Quite an experienced player, he is my second favourite trainer(of course after Ash) in the anime, and i find him to be better, much better than Trip, or any other rival.

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
    Years
  • Hopefully the male or female protagonists from the games will replace Ash and then replace them with the next gen male or female protagonists and repeat the cycle.

Either that or keep Serena as the main character and have her do gyms.

This exactly. I had my hopes up thinking that a new gen could come in place if they decided to pair Ash with Serena. But that if its chances has been greatly reduced after Serena's loss where the option of her leaving to train has been revealed. :\
    Another thing that had me hoping was seeing how significantly Ash had grown and my belief that he could actually win the League this time. But who am I kidding.. that won't happen.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Well, I think Ash should win the league... and have a years later story of him being a gym leader of a Flying type gym. He has enough flying types.. And then start up a new series with a new set of characters with someone actually starting their journey in the new region instead of a Forever ten years old character.

Nagi-chan

I make videos on Youtube about Pokémon and other a
    Years
  • I also think, if they wanted to replace him, they would have to do it in the new Sun and Moon series, with the new game characters, but then that really have to be completely new characters with their own characteristics, not a new Ash with a different name and face and mom.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    I agree with everyone, as I doubt they would really replace him at this point - they had plenty of chances to do so if they wanted in the past. It's a little hard for me to put into words (silly, I know), but I also feel that, now that he's been their star for 6 generations of games, it's a bit too late.

But I do think it wouldn't be a bad idea. It's not that I don't like Ash - I just feel like we've seen enough of him. He's matured a lot since the beginning of the series (despite somehow magically still being ten), and I think it's especially visible in the last few seasons. In the very first season, Ash was kinda bad at everything, and often made silly mistakes, but now he's well-respected by most people he comes by and is very skilled with dealing with Pokemon - why not switch to someone else and let them go trough the same journey, in their unique own way, rather then beating the dead horse by showing us how brave and devoted Ash is now?
    I remember when we first got introduced to May - we saw her driving to get her Pokemon and her commenting how she'd really rather just travel... now that I think back on it, I wish May became the main protagonist at that point over Ash. I believe that it would be an interesting new dynamic - while Ash was very excited at the thought of becoming the Pokemon master at the start but was still immature and kinda dumb - May would have different issues about herself to tackle on her way.

Best we can perhaps hope for is a spin-off, tho.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I know it'll never happen, but I would definitely be interested in Serena on her own. Y'know? Just her, no Ash. Just other people with her. Ash can be clueless at times and just, eh. *shrug*

Guest123_x1

I would like to see Ash replaced with whoever is the featured playable male character from the main series games that feature the region the anime is following at the time. If this could have been implemented retroactively, this would mean that Hoenn would feature Brendan, Unova would feature either Hilbert or Nate, and Kalos would feature Calem.
    I am of the view that having Ash all these years yet his partners get replaced every time a new series starts is getting to be a tired practice.

I also think that seeing Serena travel on her own Pokémon journey would be a interesting idea.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    It won't happen, but who would they replace Ash with in the anime if his journey were to be completed? This is just a hypothetical question, at best, since the anime probably won't replace him like they did with Brock and the other main characters.

Rather then replacing Ash , The Anime should aged him.
    He should at least be as old as new main character of game.
    That way , Writers don't have to de-age the next girl.
    I believe There should be time-skip after Ash complete his goal and The next series should focus on a group of "Young Special trainer" that Steven created to save the world and Ash is one of the member.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2016
    Rather then replacing Ash , The Anime should aged him.
    I believe There should be time-skip after Ash complete his goal and The next series should focus on a group of "Young Special trainer" that Steven created to save the world and Ash is one of the member.

WOW, I swear I thought about exactly that :)

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2016
    I'd be more shocked if they DON'T replace him with how XY is breaking so many patterns. Plus with the foreshadowing of him winning the league. My hope is he wins Kalos gets with Serena and in ep 1 of S&M we get a 20 year time (hinting at the 20 years of Pokemon) and they go with the new Gen 7 girl making her the daughter. Would work too since the plot of SM is you moving to Aloha.

That or they just ignore the Ash saga happened and they retool the entire anime. Granted the second is a bit more risky since retooling it could really hurt it while the first idea would still keep Ash in it but at the same time change the focus. I can see Ash being a mentor in Aloha and him appearing at times. Serena could be a stay at home mom or she could have opened up a fashion store.

Ash for Ash winning the league I think the writers would get a lot of hate if he didn't just by how well he is doing. From what I heard he pretty much was on par with Diantha in the new ep over in japan. Not only that but in gyms this region he has pulled off great battles and is not how he was in BW but more of a higher level than in Sinnoh. Anything lower than top 2 would be lame. Plus I do remember the guy in charge saying he had big plans for Ash this year. Think is winning a league won't make him a master. It just means he won a league. Heck him winning the champion league would not make him a master since champions are not Pokemon masters. So him winning a league would not mean he is some god.

And as for his age the whole excuse of having him be the same age as the fans is very silly since lots of kids watch shows with older people. Heck I think pokemon is the only series that is 10. I mean I know kids who watch MTV so yeah lol. I think the Yugioh kids are like 13/14

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    Imagine they replaced Ash with Brock as the main protagonist. I'd so watch that :D

Years
  • I've always been a fan if the idea that they would just have a bran new main character each generation. But to be honest at time I think it might be best to leave the main anime series alone and get side series.

Like who wouldn't watch if the pokemon manga got turned into an anime?
    I would be so there with my eyes blued to the screen for like... hours.

Goodness.

if they did replace him with an existing character... I think I would want them to bring Misty back >:)

Years
  • Rather then replacing Ash , The Anime should aged him.

I think the S/M female character looks young enough to be an Ash companion. If I were to personally replace Ash, I'd just go with the boring "male protagonist of the respective game", but I would also allow for May, Serena or Dawn to do their own journey, even if it's so unlikely.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2016
    "Alright its been 20 years right? Lets mark this anniversary with Ash winning the league but not the E4, signifying a wind of change and growth and have Serena coming with him to Alola to further grow their connection. That would mean we wouldn't have to keep Ash forever-10, signaling to fans that the show still has a future and will finally allow us to breathe for a while from all those overzealous/dangerous looking amourshipping fans, am i right? Huh..? What do you think? "

That's how the editing/writing room is in my dreams....Somehow i believe, this would cultivate into not hearing about replacing Ash ever again. Amirite?? Thoughts?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If they do replace Ash, or end his anime at some point. What I hope they do, would be to just make the anime series follow the manga series that release, so that the protags for the anime change along with the game / manga releases. Though, I can see some people finding it boring if the same cast of characters were to take up all of the Pokemon media forms.

Back