• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If we are all different, doesn't that make us all the same?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • It's an interesting question that I asked myself while in the car a few minutes ago, and I'd like to see how others approach and answer this question.

Discuss!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

If you look at it from a general view, a broad spectrum, then effectively, yes. All of us being different makes us the same in that regard. We are all the same in the sense that no two of us are alike. However, if you zoom into the finer detail and look at it from a different perspective, the answer is no. My favourite colour is green. Yours may be blue. We are different in that regard. Being different makes us all the same on one level, but there are so many levels.

Years
  • No lol

Like really, what kind of high were you on when you contemplated this LOL

I suppose it could depend on how one looks at it but as a mathematician I will look at it from a logical perspective. If two 'things' or 'objects' are the same then that means there are no differences between them. You take any two humans and you will find a difference (in fact many differences) between any two humans. No two beings are completely alike or the same. We are all different but not in the same way. We are all different in different ways. Sure there may be some similarities but similar does not equate to being the same.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This is such a common question in my experience that I've always considered it memetic.
    It's intuitive to ask, but not fundamentally valid. We are all born slightly different due to genetic recombination, but humans are all still humans and are therefore 'the same' in that way. The question implies that the scope of our differences versus similarities are contradictorily equal, but they simply aren't.
    In another sense — yes, the fact that everyone is different means that everyone shares uniqueness as a common trait.

Last edited:

8hachi8

The Phantom Trainer :P
    Years
  • I believe that in character (including interests and hobbies) and appearance we are different.
    BUT!
    We have the same rights,the same needs (food,water,sleep,etc) and we share a planet (Earth)
    Also,we are the same with dogs,dolphins,fish and all the animals and plants in this planet,because we need the same things (with some differences) and we are from the same planet.

Conclusion?
    We are different with each other but we are all the same.

But it's just my opinion.:)

-brooke

not gonna raichu a love song
    Years
  • Technically, yes. If we all claim to be "different", then since we all claim to be in the same category of normalcy, or in this case, in the same category of the lack of normalcy, we would all be the same. But in a less technical sense, we all are different, because no one person is exactly like another in every single aspect of his or her life.

So, I guess yes and no?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    You just killed my brain. ];

We all are different in some ways, but the same in others. I hope that makes sense.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • I've always put "being different" in the same category as "being human" or. It's one of those things that makes us all similar, but it's so broad of a similarity that it's a given.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I think my brain has just been fried, trying to figure out the answer to this question. You could probably cook a raw egg on it now, come to think of it. Point aside, I guess you're right in a way. In fact I think if we're different then we're all the same in a way, I mean... we're all different yeah? Different people living in an unfamiliar world, all of us are different, a common trait that brings us to be the same. (god I just got confused by my own sentence ;__;).

But then some people share the same interests so in that way we're not all different and there are other explanations but I think I'll save that for later when I can actually get my head around what I'm rambling on about. But for now I guess in a way, being different we're all the same.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • We are the same in the sense that we are Homo sapiens. But it highly outweighs the fact that we have a lot of differences. We know what they are, so I wouldn't cite them.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • We are the same in the sense that we are Homo sapiens. But it highly outweighs the fact that we have a lot of differences. We know what they are, so I wouldn't cite them.

But isn't the fact that we're all unique mean we're all really just the same.

All unique = all the same, because we embody the same overall quality of being unique.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • This is the type of question I've been waiting for lol jk.

We're all the same in terms of being different but at the same time everyone has they're opinions and beliefs on something else. Nobody has the same exact hobbies or likes as someone else there's always something "unique" with every individual. Male, female, straight, gay, black, white, red, orange, pink, yellow, etc. Lol, everyone different in some way.. But may also have lot's of similarities at the same time. Is that what you were asking?

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Stop trying to make me use my brain. Now it hurts. D:

If by that you mean we all share the same factor of being different, then yeah in that sense we are the same. Though we also have small qualities that make us different and unique. If that makes sense. My brains's already being overloaded by the question.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • This is the type of question I've been waiting for lol jk.

We're all the same in terms of being different but at the same time everyone has they're opinions and beliefs on something else. Nobody has the same exact hobbies or likes as someone else there's always something "unique" with every individual. Male, female, straight, gay, black, white, red, orange, pink, yellow, etc. Lol, everyone different in some way.. But may also have lot's of similarities at the same time. Is that what you were asking?

Not really!

What I mean is that even though we all have our differences, our own quirks that make us unique - we're really all the same, because we all have things that make us unique.

If we all have things that are unique of us, then that must mean we are all the same.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • It would be kind of boring and pointless if everyone had the same likes and dislikes. So everyone's the same because everyone unique, but everyone's different because they have different perspectives on things?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • But isn't the fact that we're all unique mean we're all really just the same.

All unique = all the same, because we embody the same overall quality of being unique.
    That's far from calling us all the same though. As has been mentioned in like every post in this thread so far, we are all the same in the fact, that we share the quality of being different, but that's like saying that everyone who speaks English is the same. It's no more than one similarity, so in my opinion, no, that doesn't make us all the same.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I really don't have any deep thoughts on this. I think deep down, we are all the same in that we all are humans, but the things that make us up individually make us different. That's always how I've seen it, but idk if I'm answering the question right.

WHOA where is this happening and can i join

And Drakow, can you not insult my friend please? Thanks.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    This is one of those questions that cannot be answered truthfully since everyone has a difference of opinion on the matter.

But in world where everything is unique, then the word loses its definition. A world with nothing but unique features becomes mundane and ordinary so in a sense everyone who is unique is the same as they lose their unique qualities since they are no longer Unique.

As for the same schtick. I am the same as any other man. I have all the same rights as anyone else as well as the same titles in being. Does that mean I am the same as my brother? No we are two different people. We are the same and yet different due to our personalities and physical appearances. We can do the same things, have the same possibilities we are the same as a being but different as people.

Very nice paradox discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • If we were all to focus on our uniqueness and how we're all a special snowflake, then we would all be the same. If we all focus on the qualities that make us who we are regardless of how they make us different to other people, then we're all different.

Back