• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen If you are given your starter by a professor

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    I am going to kill someone. Same with a generic "Team -name-" having some new power Pokémon (Ruby/Sapphire was cool controlling the weather. Space and time was just a step too far. What next, life and death? Heaven and hell?).

They really need to try a new format. Myself and quite a few people I know just never got into d/p because when we started it, it was like "oh, here we go again.".

They've followed the same format since the very first game. Why? I really hope it won't be like this for Black and White.

Same goes for making a "third" version. They are just pointless. HG/SS proves that you don't need a third version.

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
  • I don't particularly have a problem with it, but I totally get what you're saying. I think Pokemon B&W will be different, maybe not to that extent but you can always hope. I think maybe the plot will be a bit more "mature" than it was in other games because of the supposed older age of the new protagonists.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • I don't see what the big deal is about how you get your starter, and in DP, Prof. Rowan doesn't actually give you a pokemon, you take it WITHOUT PERMISSION and he lets you keep it.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Same goes for making a "third" version. They are just pointless. HG/SS proves that you don't need a third version.

^ How about, Firered and Leafgreen proves you don't need a third version?
    Don't make me laugh, they've set the trend of only releasing two versions for remakes.

Remakes =/= A new region.

Red, Blue + Yellow. -> Firered Leafgreen.
    Gold, Silver + Crystal -> Heartgold Soulsilver.
    Ruby, Sapphire + Emerald -> Future remakes x2.
    Diamond, Pearl + Platinum -> Future remakes x2.

And that's why.
    Black, White + 3rd version -> Future remakes x2.

And who in Arceus's sake actually bothers about HOW you get the starter? Duh.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Speaking of third versions, if there will be one for B&W it will be either Grey or Clear.
    OnTopic: Rilence - You got that right, although I actually sorta doubt B&W will have remakes, it would be hard to remake it any better than they are already shaping up to be.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    I really hope so. It would also be nice if the villains were just in general trying to make life bad for other people for their own gain. Stealing Pokémon and using them to get their own way.

I just don't understand why they make them all so similar. What makes them think they need to do that. It's like the sit down around a table and say "Right, here's our checklist, everything else is just filler to keep people busy for a while."

-8 Gyms (Why must it always be 8. Orange Islands in the anime had 5 did they not?)
    - An elite four. Why would all regions have an elite four? Even an elite 3 or an elite 6 would be a nice change of pace. Or something new all together.
    - A professor. I don't even need to explain this one.
    - A fire, grass and water Pokémon. It's just not necessary. I did however like how they made some final evolutions double typed to make them different (Charizard, Swampert, etc)
    - Team -insert name-. Just...meh.
    - A "good" rival. They've done it in every game since third gen (May, Lyra, Barry). (Although Lyra wasn't a rival, she follows a similar trend, and there will likely be the same in BnW. Point is they will probably repeat it just because they did it once...) Gary was more fun to fight because he was actually a rival. You actually wanted to kick his ass because he was so cocky. The "good" rivals just felt like little sparring matches.

That's a big enough checklist now to make my point :)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Speaking of third versions, if there will be one for B&W it will be either Grey or Clear.
    OnTopic: Rilence - You got that right, although I actually sorta doubt B&W will have remakes, it would be hard to remake it any better than they are already shaping up to be.

Guess what?
    When we had Red, Blue and Yellow, it was "hard to remake it any better than they are already shaping up to be" - And did you see further improvements?

Nothing is impossible in today's technology, and things just gets better and better and I don't see how technology would be stopping at Black and White's current formats.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    Thanks for the constructive posts. As for Rilence, you just seem like you want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I hope so Magmaruby :D

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • true, I guess that back then those were the best graphics around, now we think they're crap. Maybe in the future we'll think the same about B&W

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    I'm really curious what they will do with the 3DS Pokémon. I would try and guess but you really couldn't until they reveal anything :s

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Thanks for the constructive posts. As for Rilence, you just seem like you want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I hope so Magmaruby :D

To each his's own.

I can say you just seem to post this and rant for the sake of ranting, no?

I'm saying what makes senses enough, at least to myself, and this is a forum, if you can't accept others' opinions, then you shouldn't really be here in the first place.

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
  • Guess what?
    gy, and things just gets better and better and I don't see how technology would be stopping at Black and White's current formats.

Unless they give out actual Pokeballs with little monsters in them, I think Black and White are fine. :P

I don't think that you can count Lyra as a rival in HG/SS, Red was your actual Rival. Lyra was just a childhood friend, like in the phone. It'd be cool if they could come up with a plot that didn't involve bad guys doing something bad, but that'd require thought that could maybe get too complex for a Pokemon game.

TrainerShane

The Planner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    I am in about 90% agreement with the OP. For me, the issue is story- they have been using the same formula for so long that while it is just as good, if not better, than it was at the start, you start to lose interest because it all starts to blend together.

I think BW will break the mold.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • true, I guess that back then those were the best graphics around, now we think they're crap. Maybe in the future we'll think the same about B&W

*Laugh*
    Yeah! That's my point :P
    It was epic back then, and now it looks... too, weird?

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    I value people's opinions even if they don't agree with my own. Have you noticed others have disagreed and I haven't pulled them up on it?

It's because you are just rude about it using terms like "Don't make me laugh" (Which by the way, is as cheesy as a post-elite four professor speech), and "Duh.".

If you're going to be anti-social and so automatically negative. Then maybe any social environment isn't for you?

@ Sweet Visions. You have a point there, Red made an epic second rival. It would have been nice if he had a bit more of a story but it he was still cool :)

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    -8 Gyms (Why must it always be 8. Orange Islands in the anime had 5 did they not?) The Orange Islands had four "gyms" plus the champion. Eight gyms is a tradition, and it works well with the level curve. Consider how badly the 16-gym system threw a spanner in the works for Johto/Kanto. The level curve there is terrible.
    - An elite four. Why would all regions have an elite four? Even an elite 3 or an elite 6 would be a nice change of pace. Or something new all together. Based on Japanese and Buddhist tradition/mythology. The Shitennou, in Buddhism, were the gods of the cardinal directions, and in Japan the term was used to refer to the four most powerful subordinates of an emperor, hence why the Elite Four are directly called Shitennou in Japan. It's a historical thing.
    - A professor. I don't even need to explain this one. Actually, I would appreciate if you did. Why don't we need a professor? It makes sense that a skilled researcher would be the one to give you a Pokedex and a rare Pokemon to start out with.
    - A fire, grass and water Pokémon. It's just not necessary. I did however like how they made some final evolutions double typed to make them different (Charizard, Swampert, etc) Necessary? Perhaps not, but it is tradition, and the Fire/Water/Grass triangle is one of those perfect ones that works to teach beginners about type differences. Not everyone has been playing since Red/Blue, after all.
    - Team -insert name-. Just...meh. All right then, what would you suggest for the villains to be?
    - A "good" rival. They've done it in every game since third gen (May, Lyra, Barry). (Although Lyra wasn't a rival, she follows a similar trend, and there will likely be the same in BnW. Point is they will probably repeat it just because they did it once...) Gary was more fun to fight because he was actually a rival. You actually wanted to kick his ass because he was so cocky. The "good" rivals just felt like little sparring matches. Well, we don't know enough about the rival(s) of Black/White yet to say what they're like. And a rival doesn't need to be cocky to be a rival. The very definition of a rival is a worthy opponent that provides an equal challenge. Wally was more of the rival for the Hoenn games, anyway, and while they could have expanded more upon his character I think him overcoming illness to make it all the way to Victory Road was impressive.
    My remarks in bold...

A lot of these things don't have to be changed because the formula works. The changes are almost always in, and need to be in, the mechanics and balance of the battle system. Mario & Zelda, after all, usually have very similar formulas but are still popular because of the non-storyline innovations. That's the way it works. That's the way it should be. If they try too hard on making the storyline different just to be different, then we'll lose out on new gameplay stuff, and as I've said, it's really far too early to judge Gen V's storyline.

It's because you are just rude about it using terms like "Don't make me laugh" (Which by the way, is as cheesy as a post-elite four professor speech), and "Duh.".
    He's not the only one who's not being entirely polite. In fairness, your original post was rather hostile in itself- your first sentence was "I'm going to kill someone," that isn't particularly inviting for calm, polite discussion. Please do not be a hypocrite.

Back