• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen If you could change the teams for the Johto Gym Leaders, what would they be?

SgtPatches

i has a beard
Years
  • I think a lot of people can agree that the Johto Gym Leaders' teams are a bit off in G/S/C/HG/SS. As great as these games are, the one blemish I see is the construction of the Johto Leaders' teams. So how would you change the teams for the Johto Gym Leaders?

-For Falkner, I think that his team should have at least made use of Hoothoot. It's odd that with the introduction of so many new flying types in these games, he sticks with just members of the Pidgey family. Even in the anime he has a Hoothoot.

-For Bugsy, it's the same deal. I would have loved to see more use of Johto bugs, like Ledyba or Spinarak. Scyther is great, but no one in his or her right mind would use Metapod and Kakuna in a team. He's a gym leader. Why use such lame Pokemon?

-Considering that only one Ghost Pokemon was introduced in this generation, why wouldn't Morty use a Misdreavus in his team?

- Chuck's battle would have been all the more challenging if he made use of Heracross and Hitmontop, the only fighting-types introduced in that generation.

-Jasmine could have used more variety besides her two Magnemite and her Steelix. As a trainer later on in the Johto League, she could have used a Magneton and made use of other steel-types like Skarmory and Forretress.

- Why is it that the seventh gym leader is lower level from the sixth? Pryce needs higher-level Pokemon so his team isn't disappointingly so easy. That, and the fact that he has only three Pokemon as one of the final gym leaders in the Johto region is incredibly disappointing. I would have added in Pokemon like Jynx and Sneasel to make this battle more interesting and actually challenging.

Anyway, those are my two cents. What would you change about their rosters?

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
  • Falkner- A Hoothoot or Spearow might have been nice in place of the Pidgey.

Bugsy- Ledyba, Spinarak, and maybe a lower leveled Scyther.

Whitney- She needs a whole new team that isn't all pink. There are so many Normal Pokemon...Her team should compose of Smeargle, Eevee, and Sentret.

Morty- Misdreavus, Haunter, Gengar. No need for the extra Haunter.

Chuck- Heracross, Machoke, Mankey

Jasmine- Steelix and Skarmory. No Magnemites.

Pryce- Jynx, Delibird, and Sneasel. His team doesn't have much variety.

Claire- I'm fine with her team as it is.

And that's that. :)

XxRogueTrainerxX

Needs a better username
    Years
  • Let's break it down, shall we? Their levels need some changing as well.

Falkner could've been better off with a Hoothoot or a Spearow, either one taking the place of Pidgey.
    Team: Spearow OR Hoothoot (level 12), Pidgeotto (level 14)

Bugsy's Metapod and Kakuna would be much more fun to fight if they were fully evolved.
    Team: Butterfree (level 17), Beedrill (level 17), Scyther (level 19)

Whitney should probably add something like a Teddiursa to her team. At least then she'd have more than two Pokémon.
    Team: Clefairy (level 20), Teddiursa or some other Normal-type (level 21), Miltank (level 24)

Morty should've replaced his second Haunter with a Misdreavus, the only Ghost-type introduced in Gen II.
    Team: Haunter (level 27), Misdreavus (level 26), Gastly (level 25), Gengar (level 29)

Chuck should've used a Heracross to complement his other two Pokémon. That way, his team would be quite balanced while still staying true to one type.
    Team: Primeape (level 31), Heracross (level 31), Poliwrath (level 34)

Note: The levels start getting strange here, since you can go to Mahogany right after Ecruteak instead of proceeding to Olivine.

Jasmine should probably switch out her old team for a completely different one. Skarmory, Scizor, and Steelix.
    Team: Skarmory (level 33), Scizor (level 33), Steelix (level 36)

Pryce's team is boring. He should probably add a fourth Pokémon to make things more interesting. Dewgong, Delibird, Piloswine, and Sneasel would be great.
    Team: Dewgong (level 32), Delibrd (level 34), Piloswine (level 37), Sneasel (level 32)

Since there aren't very many Dragon-type Pokémon in Gens I and II, Clair's team is fine as it is.
    Same levels as well.

Last edited:

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Since this is HG/SS I would make use of Johto Pokes and make the game a tad tougher

Falkner

Spoiler:

Bugsy:

Spoiler:

Whitney:

Spoiler:

Morty

Spoiler:

Chuck:

Spoiler:

Jasmine:
    Spoiler:

Pryce:

Spoiler:

Clair:

Spoiler:

eh?

Its funny how HG/SS are my favorite games, but I come up with so much ideas to improve them, as does the community, seems like we're planning some sort of remake, (of a remake) lol.

Back