• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Ignore listed people can't contact you

Should ignored users be able to VM and PM you?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No.

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Putting people on your ignore list needs to do more than just hide what they post.

Along with hiding what you post, it should make it so they can't PM or VM you (except for staff.)

The reason being:

1. If you don't want to see their posts, why would you want to see their PMs and VMs.
    2. Staff always say to put someone on your ignore list if they are sending you annoying PMs or VMs that don't break the rules. How does that solve anything since they can still post on your wall and send you PMs?

And I voted wrong in my poll. >_>

Edit: It is now August 24th, 2021. I have somehow found this thread. Hello o/

Last edited:
    Years
  • I thought they couldn't o.o
    I'm voting they shouldn't be aloud to, also that they shouldn't be allowed to view your profile full stop. apart from staff who could be aloud to PM for certain reasons and such.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Here's my only annoyance with the ignore list

I don't usually want to ignore the person's posts, I just want to prevent them from talking to me via PM/VMs.

I'd like to have sort of a set of checkboxes for the ignore list...so I can opt out of ignoring their posts.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • To block an ignored person from posting on your profile, set Visitor Messages to Registered Members only, which excludes them. But as for the PM's, I'm not sure.

Like Pachy said I'd like a set of checkboxes also, if possible.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • But if an ignored user can't PM or VM you, what happens if they want to apologise for their wrongdoing? I know I'd hate to be put on an ignore list and never be able to try to repair the damage I'd caused. It seems to me like this idea would build more walls than bridges. Just thought I'd put that out there.

/inspirationalspeech

Last edited:

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • To block an ignored person from posting on your profile, set Visitor Messages to Registered Members only, which excludes them. But as for the PM's, I'm not sure.

Like Pachy said I'd like a set of checkboxes also, if possible.

See, the problem is I need people who aren't on my friends list to be able to contact me through VM/PM.

A lot of people don't want to block everyone who they aren't friends with just to block one person.

But if an ignored user can't PM or VM you, what happens if they want to apologise for their wrongdoing? I know I'd hate to be put on an ignore list and never be able to try to repair the damage I'd caused. It seems to me like this idea would build more walls than bridges. Just thought I'd put that out there.

/inspirationalspeech
    It's the internet, no one apologizes. ;_;

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    But if an ignored user can't PM or VM you, what happens if they want to apologise for their wrongdoing? I know I'd hate to be put on an ignore list and never be able to try to repair the damage I'd caused. It seems to me like this idea would build more walls than bridges. Just thought I'd put that out there.

/inspirationalspeech

If they did enough to warrant being ignored, it's obviously to the point that the person in question just does not want to talk to them anymore, no matter what they're saying. If they really feel the need to apologize, they could get on an alt and PM/VM them, as that's not considered harassment unless they're using the alt to do the same things they did on their main that made you ignore them.

I'm kind of shocked that it doesn't disallow PMs/VMs.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • It's the internet, no one apologizes. ;_;

T-That's not true. ;___;

And that is a bit odd. Until then, you can kindly ask them to stop PMing/VMing you. If they persist, then I think that's harassment enough to get a staff to butt in. :C

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • But if an ignored user can't PM or VM you, what happens if they want to apologise for their wrongdoing? I know I'd hate to be put on an ignore list and never be able to try to repair the damage I'd caused. It seems to me like this idea would build more walls than bridges. Just thought I'd put that out there.

/inspirationalspeech
    Most of the time people don't apologize, and the Dear Anonymous thread does wonders for letting someone know you're sorry. They can still chose to look at your posts on an individual basis they just have to click "View post"
    (I find that annoying so this is why I want a checkbox, typically I only ignore people who have abused me via PM/VM/Blog comment.)

That being said, I don't tolerate Alt.Ignore Evasion unless the first contact is the apology in question.

Anytime I ignore someone It's not to be mean. I never ignore people permanently, I go through my ignore list monthly and expire ignores I consider to be ancient history. This usually occurs within a month, and the moment I can visit the ignore list and not be able to immediately remember how you pissed me off, is the moment I remove you, even if I'm only visiting the list to add another hapless user to the list.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Agreed. I blocked someone on youtube, and he sent me like 20 messages here asking why, and I couldn't get him to stop/block him.

It was really annoying.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I agree. I don't give a Ducklett if they want to apoligize, I want to make sure they're invisible to me in every way.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • Currently there is no way to do this.. not without major coding and changes with in the core vB files. We usually try to avoid these kinds of changes so that we can update / security patch with out stuff breaking.

So unless some one can code a plugin for us (not to hopeful as our resident php coder is already very busy) we're not likely to offer anything like this for the near future, sorry.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • See, the problem is I need people who aren't on my friends list to be able to contact me through VM/PM.

A lot of people don't want to block everyone who they aren't friends with just to block one person.

When you set it to registered members only ignored people can't PM, VM you or see your VMs. I have people off of my friend list that I can contact. I can prove it. When you set it to friends only that's when people can't contact you.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years

• When you set it to registered members only ignored people can't PM, VM you or see your VMs. I have people off of my friend list that I can contact. I can prove it. When you set it to friends only that's when people can't contact you.

How do you set it to registered members only? I see no option for it. :(

Years

• When you set it to registered members only ignored people can't PM, VM you or see your VMs. I have people off of my friend list that I can contact. I can prove it. When you set it to friends only that's when people can't contact you.

To expand on what you're saying, by default, VMs/PMs are set for "everyone" to view them, even though it's impossible to view another member's PMs without hacking or stealing their password. This means that your VMs can be seen by users who aren't logged into the site. What you're saying is that the VM/PM ignore list function works properly if you change your settings for these to "registered members".
    These options are under the "Profile Privacy" link in your User CP.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • How do you set it to registered members only? I see no option for it. :(

User CP> Profile Privacy> Display Options> Visitor messages> Registered members only

It's the second on the drop down.

:]

EDIT: Beat to the punch.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • No. That's what the ignore list is for, to ignore everything that person posts. So they shouldn't be allowed to post on your profile...

Back