• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "I'm fining you 1 million if you're late!"

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
  • "I'm fining you 1 million if you're late!"

In the Sinnoh Region, besides trying to fulfill your dream of becoming Pokemon Master, you're introduced to your rival in the game. Who's this, you may ask? Barry. The hyperactive, fine-happy childhood friend from your hometown's in a race to see who reaches the Champion seat first. His motivation for becoming stronger is because he is trying to be like his father, who's a Frontier Brain.

What were your thoughts on Barry? How did you welcome his debut appearance in Diamond and Pearl? Did you find him likable? Or an annoyance? Discuss. :p

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    I always found Barry to be a unappreciated rival and I personally like him because he is quite quirky and humorous in a sort of obnoxious and unusual way. He was different to the smug, aggressive and less than rivals from the previous games.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Barry wasn't such a bad rival, but he just didn't like how he seemed as if he were always in a rush. :( Would've been great if he were more laid-back and cool, but oh well. I did like battling against him, though, as he was pretty challenging. You'd also gain major experience every time you defeat one of his Pokémon, which is a plus.

Years
  • I actually liked Barry a lot. I found him quite comedic, and I enjoyed the 'deeper' side we saw of him when we found out about his father being Palmer. I actually enjoyed his hyperactivity for the most part - he's probably one of my favorite rivals :B

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • At first I find it shocking when meeting Barry for the first time because of the "you're getting fined" thing, but I started to like him over time, and respecting him as the rival.

Years
  • Yeah I definitely respect him as a rival. He's probably got one of the best/ high leveled teams out of all the rivals ever introduced. He has a little bit more story surrounding him (not as much as Silver but more than Blue) than most rivals. I'd love to see him as a more matured character in a sequel of sorts. That'd be pretty darn cool. Yay for character development in Pokemon -.-
    So yeah, Barry gets the thumbs up from me. On ya Baz!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I like how Barry's sort of like Gary, with every Pokemon being a way to counter yours, containing an array of types. His personality's also one of a kind. Sure, it could get irritating at times, but I liked how he was, personally :p reminds me of me a bit.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    I honestly had my hopes up, of it being a case of Vs the Rival for the Champion battle.

Alas, I was disappoint. ;3;

Years
  • If he really is fining me 1 million, I'll kill him.

He's not bad, that is, because he's a grinding slave for me.

Years
  • I did not like this guy at all. Forcing me to do things I didn't want to, always rushing me. He sounds like a person I wouldn't like in real life. I guess he's a little better than some of the others though because he wasn't so nice and had a realistic personality. He was just very annoying and hard to put up with early on due to the fact that it had such a long introduction this series.

Pinta77

Barry was just... ugh!!!!! You know how some people in real life annoy you? Barry is the equivalent of that in the game. Seriously I coulda just kicked it with Dawn but Barry is suck a c---block!

Years
  • Barry has mixed thoughts in my head. I liked how he was goofy and all but at the same time, I found him to be very annoying. He isn't as bad as some of your previous rivals in the games, or Ash's previous rivals in the anime. Sure, Barry might not be a very serious person but he's al-right in the end. There would be many times where I would tell Barry to just be quiet because of how irritating he can be. Good luck fining me a million, Barry. lol

Years
  • He's totally under-appreciated and I didn't care much for him at first.. until I saw him in the anime. Fell totally in love and my view of his character changed entirely. He's very different from the other rivals which is a welcome change from the usual formula we had in my eyes, plus he's pretty cute and a solid battler. I had a hard time fighting him on a few occasions towards the end!

Barry, you will always be in my heart.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Barry is awesome. At least better than Brendan/May. I found him hilarious as a rival, and his team is tough, he was pretty challenging. When I first met him, "IM FINING YOU 1 MILLION IF YER LATE!" I was, "Yeah this isnt going to be a good rival.." but well I was wrong.

I like Barry as one of my fav rivals :)

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    Barry (I named him Bill after one of my best internet buddies) was "my ♥♥♥♥♥"/"my bro" of video games. Easily tied with Silver for my favorite rival of all time. I liked him because he had some of the same traits as Gary/Blue, where he would tease you and make you strive to get better like a rival should, but still work with you when the time called for it. He was decently challenging too! Going from him to Cheren/Bianca was a big disappointment for me because they were too nice and whatnot.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    BARRYYYY

Love the dude, to be honest. He's my favourite rival easily and a person I can relate to. His catchphrase of fining someone a million dollars always makes me smile, I have no idea why. It just shows how impatient the guy can be. Anyway it was pretty interesting how he wanted to impress his father more than showing off his own skills. Barry seemed like the show off kind of guy but its sweet he wants to be like his dad. :D

In terms of how difficult he was, it was so and so throughout the entire game. I always remember Hearthome City to be one of the harder battles along with the one at the Survival Area. He's pretty good in general with a solid team. Anyway yes, he's very under appreciated. He's great and a tad annoying at times but still amazing nonetheless. :]

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Barry was alright, he's definitely not as bad as the XY ones which for me I didn't connect to. They felt fake (I know they are) but they shouldn't. So in spite of this, Barry was a pretty good rival imo.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Barry's probably my favorite actual rival in any of the games (as distinct from the only "sort of" rivals like Dawn, Bianca and Brendan/May). Yeah, he can be sort of annoying, but he's an okay sort of annoying, since he's just hyper. The rest of the rivals tend to be mean-spirited and unpleasant. Whether smug and arrogant like Blue or Silver or petulant and bitter like Cheren or Hugh, there's this air of negativity that surrounds them and just makes them unpleasant. There's nothing negative about Barry though - quite the opposite in fact. I like that, even if he is sort of annoying.

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I liked Barry. His energy reminded me of my brothers, and his "war dance" at the beginning of his Platinum version battles was amusing.

Plus, he's cute~

Back