• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm going digital/Let's get physical

pkmin3033

I couldn't decide which song I wanted to reference, so I figured I'd just reference both.

Anyways, this is a topic we dance about a lot in this section, so I figured it could use its own topic...or, rather, it was about time we discussed it again, because I'm fairly sure it's come up in the past.

So, let's talk about the benefits of digital vs. physical video games. Which format do you prefer, and why? Are you put off purchasing games if they're only available digitally? Do you think there is any credit to the notion that eventually digital games will replace physical discs entirely, or is this scare mongering/wishful thinking from greedy AAA publishers who hate the trade-in market?

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    I live in a rural area, so my wifi is quite slow, so I go physical whenever I can, but I don't mind digital. GameStop and BestBuy are doing well with trade ins, so it wouldn't shock me to see companies just do digital to try to maximize profits. I don't mind either way though... It's nice to have a box and everything, but I've seen some great deals on PSN...

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I was all physical until early last year. That lasted for a year, and then Amazon announced 20% discounts on all new games with Amazon Prime, and so I have started to switch back to physical. I have all my BD (before digital) games hidden away, and my AD (after digital) games on my shelf. Which consists of only one game, since I just restarted my collection.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I rather go physical since I love collecting VG boxes, and its also more convenient for me to just install a game via its disc rather than download something that would take years given our low tier DSL internet speed. And with the many online games I'm trying out, I rather go physical with my commercial, mainstream, delicious triple A titles that indie devs love "fighting against" (I dunno what the feck I'm talking about)

The only time i would go digital is that if a game is suddenly sold at an ultra sale, like how i got Borderlands and most of the stuff i have in STEAM as of now, with FEAR Collection being the best thing I've gotten ever from a digital purchase.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Going digital will help me when I am travelling. I would rather games taken up space on my hard drive than space in my car....

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • I absolutely love physical game copies. Not only do I like to line up my 3DS game boxes on my desk, but I know if I ever break my 3DS and can't get anything transferred to a new one, at least I'll still have the game with all my save data. Plus, digital games take up A LOT of space, almost so much that the money I save buying them when they're on special in eShop counteracts the fact I have to buy a 32GB micro SD card... I just don't like digital much because they're always prone to software failures and they take up storage on relevant devices.

Years
  • Physical games for handheld and consoles. I like having the carts/discs and their boxes. Looks nice on my cheap gaming shelf. 8)

The only time I get digital games is when I have no other choice. With the 3DS, that means Virtual Console and the Ace Attorney games. Oh, and Happy Home Designer, which came with my New 3DS.

On the PC, for the few games I own, I have them digitally via Steam. Seems easier that way. I'm honestly not sure how many games come out physically on the PC anymore? Digital distribution platforms are all I ever hear about.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • Overall, I'm a fan of physical games. Granted, this probably stems from my collector's mentality and how I like to be able to pull something off my shelf and actually hold it in my hands.

However, digital has its merits. More games are being released digital nowadays, and digital games tend to go on sale more quickly (or at a higher discount) than their physical counterparts. However, I feel like as great as digital games and how cost effective for developers digital only releases can be, nothing can beat the feeling of the 'real' physical thing.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I flip flop between both. I do like to buy physical copies, but I don't always. I bought my two most recent games digital for example (The Division and DOOM), yet there are plenty of games I buy physical, hell I even shell out the big bucks for collectors editions often enough!

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • Depends, But I'm more the physical purchaser. But I do have digital games as well, I live in a small town, sometimes I can't afford Amazon, and or store bought due to tax, or going out of town just to pick up a game. I buy PSN cards or I use my debit to buy on my 3DS. so I'm both, but if I could I love to own the physical copy for sure.

Back