• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen I'm nervous about these games

Years
  • I know I'm not the only one who thought X and Y were a walk in the park. All my friends who have them say the same thing. So I am hoping that these games will not fall into the same trap. Now I know that just cause the last 2 games in the series were easy doesn't mean that the rest of the games are gonna be, but I remember playing emerald as a kid and being challenged and I loved it. That is also why I like BW/B2W2, they were some of the few pokemon games that had challenged me like they did. I haven't played the demo so I have no idea what the gameplay is like, but I just hope that they don't make them super easy.

Years
  • I have played the demo, a lot. And it doesn't really give you a good feel how easy or challenging the game is going to be. You have level 36 starters than a level 40 Pokemon while everyone you challenge in the demo is below that. The demo is just a tease that makes you want the game more, and I do want the game more.

I do understand what you mean. Pokemon X was the fastest pokemon game I have ever beat. All the other games took me almost two months, yet again Im really slow with video games, but with Pokemon X I beat it in least than a month. I get the feeling it was suppose to be that way, mostly because of the elite four. But I really do hope AS and OR are the same as the old versions because I had a difficult time beating Sapphire. Part of the reason I loved the game was because of that.

My opinion, I think it will be harder than Pokemon X and Y. Just not as challenging as the old versions. Alpha and Sapphire do have a lot more to offer than X and Y in the end so you will have a lot more to do even if you do beat the game rather fast. Contest and flying in the air.

Have fun playing the game

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What would be great is some sort of difficulty system that you set at the start of the game between Easy (beginner), Intermediate (experienced), and Hard (very experienced). It would also be good if you could change it whenever you want as well (obviously not in the middle of a battle). But a difficulty setting unfortunately is highly unlikely.

Years
  • Sigh... Here we go again, people that need everything to be difficult.

If the game doesn't turn out to be hard, that won't kill the game, will it? For that matter, if all your friends say the same thing (that XY were a cakewalk), did they all just Exp. Share the whole game? Because i've played through them several times without it and they were far from easy then. And this will have the same thing if i'm not mistaken. But this will also have some new Mega Evolutions and upgraded teams, so we'll have to see what happens.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    It probably won't, considering that ORAS might be a remake of the originals, which are, like you said, challenging.

I personally have no problem with the difficulty of the game, but I would see why you would feel that way. Presuming that these are going to be full remakes of the original, I think you should challenge yourself. Try a Nuzlocke Challenge, go through the game with the Exp. Share off, use one Pokémon only, create a Mono-Type team, you name it. If you're going through the game normally, then the likeliest outcome would be a "That's too easy" reaction. It's always more fun to try out a challenge, as it is often, well, challenging.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • When I played, The wild pokemon of Victory Road were higher level than me. That was a challenge. Although, it took some effort to keep my levels that low.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    It probably won't, considering that ORAS might be a remake of the originals, which are, like you said, challenging.

I personally have no problem with the difficulty of the game, but I would see why you would feel that way. Presuming that these are going to be full remakes of the original, I think you should challenge yourself. Try a Nuzlocke Challenge, go through the game with the Exp. Share off, use one Pokémon only, create a Mono-Type team, you name it. If you're going through the game normally, then the likeliest outcome would be a "That's too easy" reaction. It's always more fun to try out a challenge, as it is often, well, challenging.
    I would do something like having one or two Pokémon for the whole game, but to me that takes away from the core idea of having a team of the Pokémon you like and watching them grow. I think there SHOULD be difficulty options for the game where the AI battles have much higher level Pokémon or something. That would make the game more challenging.

I'd really rather not have to go out of my way to make the game challenging. I would rather have the choice to play it with challenging battles if I want to, and to have that made challenging by the game, not me.

I get your point though, as I know difficulty settings will likely never happen for Pokémon.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    I would do something like having one or two Pokémon for the whole game, but to me that takes away from the core idea of having a team of the Pokémon you like and watching them grow. I think there SHOULD be difficulty options for the game where the AI battles have much higher level Pokémon or something. That would make the game more challenging.

I'd really rather not have to go out of my way to make the game challenging. I would rather have the choice to play it with challenging battles if I want to, and to have that made challenging by the game, not me.

I get your point though, as I know difficulty settings will likely never happen for Pokémon.

It's always possible considering the Gen V games had difficulty settings. Although I do doubt that that feature will be included in ORAS

pkmin3033

I came to terms long ago with the fact that if you want Pokemon games to be hard, you need to set limits yourself. If you want it to be difficult, then do a Nuzlocke or something similar. Pokemon is a game for all ages, and because of that it can never be TOO difficult, or it'll put off the younger players.

I think something people need to remember as well is that you get better at games the older you get. The earlier generations might have been more challenging for you, but you were probably a lot younger when you played them, and weren't as familiar with how Pokemon games worked. I remember Blue as being murderously difficult the first time I played it - I got stuck at Misty, then at Erika, then at Sabrina, and the Elite Four walked all over me until I got my hands on Articuno, which took me an age to catch - but when I revisited the game a few years later, I found it to be very easy indeed; I knew where I was going, what I needed to do to get ahead, and that was that. The game hadn't changed one bit, but I had. Saying Pokemon has been getting easier is looking at things through clouded eyes, in my opinion - are they getting easier, or are you just getting better? I'd say it's a case of the latter more than the former.

I can't see the "Challenge" mode from B2/W2 returning - and if it does, I can't see it being actually challenging - so I guess really if you want it to be hard, make it hard, because Nintendo definitely won't. But I don't see the problem with that - even if you're the kind of player who likes a bit of challenge, it is possible to have fun on an easy game. Just play the game your own way and enjoy yourself~

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've seen some spoilers for teams and what not, put it this way these games are shaping up to be difficult judging from what's been seen so far.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I think the reason why the newer games seem easier and the older ones seem harder mainly comes down to mechanics and experience.

Clearly you've had more experience playing Pokemon when you played B/W or X/Y compared to R/B/Y or R/S/E. You're more familiar with the games and how they work; you were simply better at playing Pokemon more recently than you were back then.

But the mechanics is the big one to me. Gen III didn't have things like the Physical/Special split, infinite use TMs, or easily accessible move tutors with good moves, etc, that came afterwards. A lot of Pokemon were held back from their full potential because of those things. Not to mention most Pokemon still had ass for level-up movepools at the time. Sharpedo's a great example. Sharpedo has better Attack than Special Attack, but Water and Dark were both special types, meaning Sharpedo couldn't use its STABs to it's full potenital in R/S/E. Rough Skin was also a kinda useless ability back then, but Gen 5 gifted it with the magnificent ability of Speed Boost, which propelled Blaziken from UU to Ubers, and Scolipede from NU/RU to OU, for reference.

My point is that they've been making the games better, and that has also made things easier at the same time. And I don't mind it if the bulk of Pokemon is easy. There's plenty of "hard" games out there, but Pokemon does offer it's share of more difficult battles as well (check out the Battle Tower/Subway/Maison or competitive battling sometime). And really, making your Pokemon games harder is what the Challenges section is for. I know that some people don't wanna go out of their way to make things harder, but when you have options to make it harder, you really shouldn't complain about it not being difficult enough when there's perfectly good options available.

I also think that Game Freak doesn't want to make the main parts of the Pokemon games difficult because that would probably scare away new players and the more casual players.

I wouldn't mind them adding in difficulty options though. Just as long as they do it better than they did in Black2/White2.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Well Pokemon has always (somewhat) been pushed towards children. They can't make it too hard. The children would give up in a second. That will be a huge loss for GameFreak and Pokemon. It would be a smart idea to bring back difficulty settings like in Gen V, allowing a more "challenging" experience. Considering the only thing that made X and Y "Easy" was the Exp Share. there shouldn't be any fuss. Want to make the game more challenging? Get rid of the Exp Share. From experience X and Y without the Exp Share is no walk in the park, but it's not difficult either. It's just right. We have a lack of information on the games mechanics, and the demo hardly helped out. The best thing to do is wait a couple of more weeks now. There is nothing to be nervous about. If it's easy, so be it. Don't complain about it being easy "IF" you are using an Exp. Share.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • If they wanted difficulty, they could do level caps based on badges. With more control over your level the better, easier it is to adjust difficulty at that level.

Years
  • I came to terms long ago with the fact that if you want Pokemon games to be hard, you need to set limits yourself. If you want it to be difficult, then do a Nuzlocke or something similar. Pokemon is a game for all ages, and because of that it can never be TOO difficult, or it'll put off the younger players.

I think something people need to remember as well is that you get better at games the older you get. The earlier generations might have been more challenging for you, but you were probably a lot younger when you played them, and weren't as familiar with how Pokemon games worked. I remember Blue as being murderously difficult the first time I played it - I got stuck at Misty, then at Erika, then at Sabrina, and the Elite Four walked all over me until I got my hands on Articuno, which took me an age to catch - but when I revisited the game a few years later, I found it to be very easy indeed; I knew where I was going, what I needed to do to get ahead, and that was that. The game hadn't changed one bit, but I had. Saying Pokemon has been getting easier is looking at things through clouded eyes, in my opinion - are they getting easier, or are you just getting better? I'd say it's a case of the latter more than the former.

I can't see the "Challenge" mode from B2/W2 returning - and if it does, I can't see it being actually challenging - so I guess really if you want it to be hard, make it hard, because Nintendo definitely won't. But I don't see the problem with that - even if you're the kind of player who likes a bit of challenge, it is possible to have fun on an easy game. Just play the game your own way and enjoy yourself~

This makes sense to me and now I think about it might just be just what you said. In blue and yellow when I was youngyounger I used pokemon I liked but in X and Y I used a team of pokemon yo beat the elite four as well I did the same in Black and White. I still used pokemon I like its me using pokemon I like to my advanced.

Years
  • It's definitley true that I am more experienced at pokemon and that plays a big part in the fifficulty. I hadn't reay thought of that. But I went back and played the gen 3 games a few days ago and was still decently challenged. I guess what I really am nervous about is that they will change the cakes too much.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    I think the reason why the newer games seem easier and the older ones seem harder mainly comes down to mechanics and experience.

Clearly you've had more experience playing Pokemon when you played B/W or X/Y compared to R/B/Y or R/S/E. You're more familiar with the games and how they work; you were simply better at playing Pokemon more recently than you were back then.

But the mechanics is the big one to me. Gen III didn't have things like the Physical/Special split, infinite use TMs, or easily accessible move tutors with good moves, etc, that came afterwards. A lot of Pokemon were held back from their full potential because of those things. Not to mention most Pokemon still had ass for level-up movepools at the time. Sharpedo's a great example. Sharpedo has better Attack than Special Attack, but Water and Dark were both special types, meaning Sharpedo couldn't use its STABs to it's full potenital in R/S/E. Rough Skin was also a kinda useless ability back then, but Gen 5 gifted it with the magnificent ability of Speed Boost, which propelled Blaziken from UU to Ubers, and Scolipede from NU/RU to OU, for reference.

My point is that they've been making the games better, and that has also made things easier at the same time. And I don't mind it if the bulk of Pokemon is easy. There's plenty of "hard" games out there, but Pokemon does offer it's share of more difficult battles as well (check out the Battle Tower/Subway/Maison or competitive battling sometime). And really, making your Pokemon games harder is what the Challenges section is for. I know that some people don't wanna go out of their way to make things harder, but when you have options to make it harder, you really shouldn't complain about it not being difficult enough when there's perfectly good options available.

I also think that Game Freak doesn't want to make the main parts of the Pokemon games difficult because that would probably scare away new players and the more casual players.

I wouldn't mind them adding in difficulty options though. Just as long as they do it better than they did in Black2/White2.

This is the biggest reason why I will never stuggle with pokemon games ever, before I didn't know what natures meant (so while playing through I might have had terrible natures without understanding), I didn't fully understand what the difference between special/physical moves were until 5th gen (lol I know that is bad), and from what I can remember from playing R/S originally I don't think I was aware of STAB moves getting the 50% power boost I used to think Hyper Beam was the best move in the game (was aware of the recharge turn being a bad thing but I didn't really care back then, was only playing through the main game anyway)... If I was to play through pokemon again without knowing these things again I would possibly struggle to beat the game, if not struggle I probably wouldn't find it easy.

Also Gen III had a different Physical/Special mechanic than they do now, only way I know of what were physical/special are from the Eeveelutions + Dragon type were special, not that I knew this back when I was playing through R/S

Years
  • I totally agree with Zekrom on a huge note. It all comes down to how experienced you are at Pokemon games, I have been playing the games since the original Ruby & Sapphire and I actually learned a lot of the mechanics very quickly thanks to online guides and a few other things. The change to the EXP Share this generation also really didn't help veteran players, since they found themselves overleveled if they use it too much, and given it got retained for these remakes I'm imagining if they will be easier than the original R/S/E although Hoenn doesn't have any notable high EXP-gaining Pokemon unlike Chansey/Blissey/Audino in other regions.

In fact, my recent playthrough of X was actually much faster than I imagined, mainly because I was familiar with the mechanics right from the start, even newly introduced stuff like Fairy-type. If Pokemon games are made too easy it may scare veteran players away but that's why we have self-imposed challenges like Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solo etc. but if the game is too challenging it can drive newer players away, mainly children which Pokemon is usually targeted towards.

Also, as Zekrom said not all Pokemon could reach their full potential back then, it took them generations to eventually fix everything up, and you have 4th Gen's revolutionary physical/special split to thank for that. 5th Gen's hidden abilities made some once-overlooked Pokemon even more better, especially on the competitive scale.

And even in easier games there can still be certain tough opponents at some points of the game, such as certain important characters who have a nasty strategy that may want to cause you to plan ahead.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    For me my challenge was to complete the Kalos pokedex before beating Elite 4, using the GTS and all and it was before Pokemon Bank. I still managed to get my Delphox lv 100 at the Battle Chateau before getting the second badge.

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • In the demo they do have a challenger who has there pokemon all at level 40 that to me was kind of challenging especially with level 36 pokemon.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think the reason why the newer games seem easier and the older ones seem harder mainly comes down to mechanics and experience.

Or G/S/C, or D/P/P, or B/W/B2/W2 for those who began with those games. More so G/S/C and D/P/P than those Gen V and XY beginning players (these probably have the least). But, yeah, the mechanics made it the games more difficult than the newest ones.

Though I think Hoenn will be more difficult than XY and Gen V (at least B2W2) as they have less Pokemon to choose from, and lack pokemon like Audino, Chansey, Happiny, and others that give a lot of exp. early on.

Back