• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I'm sorry, could you say that again?"

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
  • Repeating yourself, be it from across the room, through a loud crowd, when you're trying to whisper to each other in the middle of class, or even just for people that seem ignorant instead of hard of hearing, it's likely that we've all experienced it. Sometimes after saying it even once you won't bother to reiterate.

Are there any times or places you're frequently in where you feel like you always have to repeat yourself? Or maybe you're against having to do it entirely?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Yes, I find myself having to repeat myself time to time because I tend not to say words clearly. I also have a hard time explaining things.

Years
  • I repeat myself all the time. I'm soft-spoken and speak quickly so it's not surprising and I'm not mad when I have to do it. It's mostly at work, which I feel bad for, because as a server I should be understood the first time.

I tend to have to ask people to repeat themselves, though. My hearing is kind of bad. I can tell people are talking but not what they say.

Years
  • Unless I see a reason why they might not have heard what I said, I don't tend to repeat myself.
    It is bloody annoying having to repeat something and it really gets me when I am at work and I explain a process, then they ask me to repeat it. I understand you might not get it, but at least ask about a part of the process and not just ask me to explain the whole, blooming thing because you have the attention span of a pea.​

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I talk insanely fast - especially to my parents - so I'm used to having to repeat myself on a not-too-regular basis. With new people, especially, I find this to be especially true. My friends have gotten used to it, so it happens less with them... but when I'm around my parents, I feel like my speed of talking skyrockets for whatever reason. As such, it's a rare day when my dad says "Could you say that again, please?" to me. :D

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I typically speak softly, and I stumble on my words a lot of the time, so I'm fairly used to having to repeat myself. It's only when I have to repeat something more than twice when it starts to irk me, otherwise, it's a common occurrence that I don't mind too much.

I also try not to get annoyed at repeating myself since I often have to ask other people to do the same for me due to my bad sense of hearing.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I am a mix of both soft spoken and speak to fast. My grandparents think I talk way to fast yet my mum considers it a New Zealand thing since she considers my friends speak to fast sometimes xD
    Other times I can be soft spoken. Sometimes when I talk to people, my tongue sorta twists and I'm somewhat softer and have to repeat myself - doesn't happen much now days though.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I speak a little fast so sometimes my tongue trips over a few words and I end up having to repeat myself. That's really the only reason I have to repeat myself, and it doesn't bother me that much. I don't get annoyed if someone doesn't understand what I'm saying.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I have to repeat myself a lot because I talk so fast that sometimes I don't even understand what I just said. My words tend to blend together a lot and I have customers constantly asking me to repeat the phrase "Do you have FlyBuys at all?" because they think I'm asking them for a five dollar note.

On the flip side though, I'm also always asking other people to repeat themselves for me. You know how if you leave a computer unattended for too long it goes into hibernate? Yeah, that's my mind. And my hibernation time is set at 30 seconds. If you don't talk to me for that long I'm off in my own little world and you have to snap me back out of it, which usually means repeating what you just said haha.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I talk too fast or too quietly sometimes and people always ask me to repeat myself. It's really annoying so most of the time I just end up saying nevermind.

Years
  • I'm very quiet, mumble a lot and can stutter when I'm uncomfortable talking to someone so I have to repeat myself quite often. I don't really find it irritating, until it gets to about the fourth time.
    The thing that bugs me the most though is I tend to have people ask me to repeat myself the most when I'm trying to speak clearly and loud the first time round.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • @_@ I find I do have to repeat myself over skype if my Steelseries mic isn't plugged in.. and it's annoying but I do it anyways. Uuugghh.. but as for explaining myself, I don't mind repeating myself as long as someone does make the effort to try and listen, remember, or understand.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • I'm a very quiet speaker, so I suppose it's not surprising if I'm asked. Sometimes I don't speak fast, but most of the time I do. Despite this, I rarely get asked to repeat.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    My sister has a hearing problem so I used to have to repeat myself all the time around her.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'll repeat myself if I have to, but I like to think I speak loudly enough that I don't have to... and if I have to end up repeating myself, usually I'll say it the second time with a much more annoyed tone.

I don't like it when others feel the need to repeat themselves when I heard them clearly the first time (or first 5,000 times in the case of my parents), and I certainly don't like repeating myself when people should have heard me.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I'm constantly having to repeat myself to everyone. As far as I can tell, I'm talking quite loud, but no one can ever hear. It's really annoying.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I have a very hard time explaining something because I'm slow. I end up using the wrong set of words, and some people are like "wtf did he say?!"

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I have a low voice so many times I have to speak up to be heard, so I have to repeat myself many times to be heared especially if there is a lot of noise (like traffic)

Back