• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

imgur

Years
  • Okay, so not only is imgur an image-hosting site, it's also a site to produce memes and even make an image go viral.

So does anyone here use imgur? What do y'all use imgur for? Do y'all have an account on imgur? Have you ever submitted an image to imgur's gallery before?

Just some thoughts for discussion! :D

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Absolutely obnoxious site. It used to be fantastic, a really simple interface to upload an image, very little clutter, etc. Their original goal was to make a simple, clutter-free image uploader, which is what they had. Now their front page is full of crap and it's hard to even get a straight link to the image. Ugh.

Years
  • I have never used it, I know that I put up with people in the Trade Corner IRC chat posting pictures from there regularly. But I don't find that posting pictures that feel random is really necessary unless it relates to something said.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    it's hard to even get a straight link to the image. Ugh.

This drives me up a wall. One of my favorite things about imgur was that they just had a direct link to the picture right there so I could click it and use it for whatever. I have no idea why they got rid of that link and replaced it with the 'page' instead of the image. :( I guess to get more views on the rest of the stuff on that page, sigh. I WILL NEVER LINK PEOPLE TO YOUR PAGES IMGUR

Years
  • This drives me up a wall. One of my favorite things about imgur was that they just had a direct link to the picture right there so I could click it and use it for whatever. I have no idea why they got rid of that link and replaced it with the 'page' instead of the image. :( I guess to get more views on the rest of the stuff on that page, sigh. I WILL NEVER LINK PEOPLE TO YOUR PAGES IMGUR
    It's still possible to access the Direct Link option if you're a registered user on imgur. Alternatively, you could right-click and grab the URL that way as well, or click on the image for the direct link. I honestly think though they removed the direct URL option just to get more unique page views, or possibly have people view the advertisements they provide as well.

@ twocows, I can agree with you about the gallery. Maybe it would have been better if they just had a link on their home page to the gallery, but then it wouldn't be as popular as it is. Not to say I disagree with you (because I've been using imgur since 2011, before they even added the gallery), but sometimes changes one might not like are changes many others could.

Finally, while I still like the unlimited bandwidth provided by imgur, I did take notice that clicking from a direct link does prompt to bring one to the actual image page instead of bringing you to the direct link, just like what TinyPic does these days.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It's still possible to access the Direct Link option if you're a registered user on imgur. Alternatively, you could right-click and grab the URL that way as well, or click on the image for the direct link. I honestly think though they removed the direct URL option just to get more unique page views, or possibly have people view the advertisements they provide as well.

I uh...know how to get the url of an image. Did you really think I didn't? o___O I am complaining that it's not as convenient as it was before. What I do now is just copy the url from the options on the right and then paste it and manually add ".png" or ".gif" or whatever because it's faster than right clicking and looking through the menu for the url option.

Years
  • I use a different site for images, mainly because i have been using it for 5+ years.

I think i used imgur once to put transparent images into my signature on PC though, because the site i use doesn't support transparent backgrounds.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Google Image Search (if I'm looking for pictures) + Dropbox (if I, for some odd reason, need to upload a picture)

That's all I need.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm on the fence about imgur, considering I only use half of their features. Imgur is my main platform for uploading my art since the epic fail of my Photobucket account, and for all purposes it functions very well in that respect. Images are uploaded quickly, the ability to move images to different albums is seamless, and I've never received a drop in quality due to the upload.

However, this nonsense about posting to some main gallery? No. I think it's just gimmicky and ridiculous; and really subtracts from the experience had by those who do similar things I do, upload arts and post them in appropriate places.

All in all, Imgur does what I, specifically, need it to do. Ignoring everything else is a tad cumbersome, but not a deal breaker in my opinion.

Years
  • I mostly use Imgur for uploading my graphics and other pics/screenshots. I'm also a lurker--in other words, I'll browse the images submitted to the gallery (usually the most popular viral ones; I rarely enter usersub) and favorite the ones I like, but I never comment or post images to the gallery (and will likely never do so). It does what I need it to do (upload images) and that's all that really matters to me.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I honestly like imgur. I'll use it to upload stuff since Tinypic got all weird for me. I also spend quite a lot of time browsing the gallery. Some of the stuff is pretty stupid and caters to a specific crowd, but I find some of the other stuff funny.

Years
  • Imgur is one of the main reliable image hosting sites out there, I use it constantly to upload things, but that's all I use it for. Have never created a meme on it nor have I tried to make an image go viral. However, I have enjoyed some hilarious gifs that pop up on the front page occasionally 8)

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • I used it because until last week, you were able to look at an image (even bookmark it) through the direct link and not get the site bullcrap around it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Imgur is my favorite image hosting site so far - I've tried Photobucket, Flickr and I think TinyPic before, but I always ran into some kind of problem with them, like limited bandwidth or not being able to upload animated gifs. I haven't been using imgur for long and I don't know what it was like before, so I can't compare it to the former versions of it, but so far I have no issues with it.

I don't really pay attention to the gallery/home page stuff, I just use it for my own images and account.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • i do imgur for the images and comments (viral aspects) but not for general image uploading since i have other domains i use for that. I do visit imgur daily and on occasion make a comment or two.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • They should have made a separate site if they wanted to massively change their focus instead of cannibalizing one of the only good image hosting sites out there.

Imageshack and Photobucket require accounts. Pomf has a 50 mb per-image limit, their servers go down a lot, and it's too weeb to link to anyone I know IRL. Sadpanda doesn't have the per-image limit or the weeb imagery, but either they're dead or they just have like 90% downtime or something. Imgur is really the only decent option, and they keep making their service worse and worse for just hosting images, which is what the site was founded to do and how it got popular to begin with. It's like if Nintendo started turning Zelda into a sports series because there's a bigger audience for that. Ugh.

Years
  • I made an account on imgur some time ago, not sure exactly when, I think at least a year ago. Mostly I was tired of uploading screenshots elsewhere (coughphotobucket) and getting them resized automatically...so as much as I didn't mind using photobucket I went over to imgur because at least that site doesn't freaking resize any screenshots of mine!

I use it just to upload artwork and photos of mine to link to others. Don't really care much about the other features. As long as I can upload and link.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I used to upload pictures in imgur, especially because it's easy to upload images even without creating accounts, until several weeks ago when the net in my country won't allow me to access it anymore. I'll miss seeing pictures from imgur... :(

Back