• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Immersive Gameplay

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
    I thought Black and White had great gameplay, much better than previous games. The reason for this is the improvements in graphics and sound, the likes of Castelia city really affecting how much I got into the game.

I think this is because the simplified graphics from the previous games seemed so empty and lifeless. Black and White feels alive, with heaps of stuff to do. Even the TV is interesting to watch... er read. People going about their daily business, seasons that change how the routes look, the C gear, being able to run around each others worlds...

So what do you think? Did you feel immersed when you were playing black and white? Especially with the fight against N and his ledgendary, then everything rising to fever pitch in the struggle with Ghetsis?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Yeah, BW was certainly engaging in a way none of the earlier generations ever were. I think Game Freak put a lot more work into them, for one thing - especially into the plot aspect. N was a convincing character that polarised players - either you love him or you hate him, but each for valid reasons. Some think he's a creeper, others think he's adorable. In general, I found the game a lot more satisfying, if a little . . . shorter.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I was immersed into B/W when I started played it. The new Pokemon really caught my eye on those games.

AusDon

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    It only took me 3-4 days to beat it, so I think I kind of ruined it for myself.
    May have just been me, but it seemed a little short.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    I think you're talking about "presentation," not gameplay. :P

The gameplay is very similar to Gen IV, but because of the presentation, it is much more enjoyable.

Meinfoo

Spelling error? Spelling win!
    Years
    It only took me 3-4 days to beat it, so I think I kind of ruined it for myself.
    May have just been me, but it seemed a little short.

I forced myself to take my time by drawing pictures of my adventures. Otherwise the whole thing would be over and the hype from a year or so would be done and dusted in, like you say, in 3-4 days.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah I do consider Unova much more realistic than other games, though I think if it were fully 3D (everything, that is), it would allow everyone to get immersed in the region, the storyline, the people... I think there's good potential there and if it were expanded upon, (even if other games were expanded upon), it would still by far stand out the most as realistic / most easy to get involved in.

And idk if that makes sense. :(

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    I forced myself to take my time by drawing pictures of my adventures. Otherwise the whole thing would be over and the hype from a year or so would be done and dusted in, like you say, in 3-4 days.
    I sort of do that too, or at least draw pictures of my Pokemon in general. Even if they don't have perfect natures/stats/IVs, in-game team or competitive team, they still mean something to me and drawing them is portraying how I see them. It gives me more of a feeling that I'm the one who raised and trained them and my battling experiences with them just add to that.

Sentiments aside though, I've been playing my new copy of White for the past week and it definitely has made more of an impression than past games (even Platinum). Not only are the visuals more appealing and lively but the characters have more depth to them than previous games.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I didn't really expect an immersive storyline, and they didn't really give me an immersive storyline to experience, but that's because I'm sixteen and I've watched way too many anime series' with more captivating plots than Pokemon, which is aimed at 10 year olds. XD Having said that, I quite liked Pokemon Black and White's plot. It was quite a change from the typical plots, and surprise, surprise, there was a twist. Still, it was the same basic storyline of an 11-year-old kid who sets out on a Pokemon adventure, given a Pokemon by a professor named after a tree. The kid then encounters an evil criminal organisation who (since Pokemon RSE) is trying to take over the world by capturing some kind of legendary Pokemon. The kid thwarts the evil organisation and then encounters the legendary Pokemon. Simple, really. :/

What I LOVED about the new games was the amazing new graphics. The best part was Castelia City, and I basically focused all my efforts into getting into Castelia City for the first part of the game. I was taken aback by the stunning graphics of Skyarrow Bridge especially. I found it convenient yet disappointing that the stunning graphics came so early in the game. They also weren't as reccurent throughout the game as I thought they would be. If the graphics were always at that high standard throughout the game, I would've been even more impressed.

The Pokemon were just pathetic. :/ They looked absolutely horrifying. Some of them were failed attempts to look cute, some looked just passable, but the majority were just ugly. :[ I wish the designers had put a few more beautiful Pokemon like they did in gen1 & 2. They were powerful, but at the same time, they were horribly ugly. It's not enough to put me off the game completely, but I had to stick with them for the entire 8 gyms. >.>

Yeah, so they were pretty good games overall. Just a few problems here and there, but I hope they resolve them in the next iteration of gen5.

ulissyboy1100

Dragon King
    Years
    I was completely amazed by the graphics in this game, but I can tell you one thing, the guys at gamefreak sure do love their bridges!!! :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah I wasn't impressed.

Music got a bit better (mainly due to new composers doing more work, and a bit more work done on each track's instrument set), they tried to add a (generic) storyline, the graphics are unremarkable and they added a few new things to balance the stuff they removed for no reason.

sean777

Poke veteren since red version
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2014
    Much better plot than the previous games :)

Years
    I can't seem to get into it

So I bought Pokemon Black a few weeks ago but I can not seem to get into it. I've played it a few times but I just can't seem to play even one hour of it. Does anyone else have this problem?

Cockman!

o_o What a majestic creature!
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    I like every aspect except for the pokemon. they look like digimon. everything else e.g. the sprites are great!

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    if you have explored all the nuances that interest you in a video game, and its not entertaining to you, or you're just not that interested in it, then just don't play it. Theirs no obligation to play it, and there's no problem just playing gen 4 games still.

On the issue of how the Pokemon look, that's absolutely, purely, subjective. It's like saying "I hate Monet, his painting suck compared to other artist X." It doesn't matter what X is, because that's just what you prefer. I like Galvantula, but I don't like Vanilluxe. Some people say the opposite and think Galvantula is terrible and Vanilluxe is the man. Neither of our statements really mean anything, because its so subjective. So if the new Pokemon just don't capture your interest, then the game just might not be for you. That's a question on you can answer, an no one else's opinion can really change that.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    I had this problem going through my second playthrough. I mean, I beat it once within..2 days? Something like that.. Anyway, through my second playthrough, it was pretty boring..There wasnt much to do in the middle of it, like with HG/SS with the Battle Frontier, the Pokeathlon, etc etc, you just had to continue with the main story. Plus it was really short, blah blah. But once you beat it, theres quite a lot to do. Maybe not as much as HG/SS or some of the other games, but there is the Battle Subway (Bleh), competitive play, etc etc. Also catching a million and one legendaries..Lol. But as other people have said, if you dont want to play it..dont. Not really a big deal. Just trade it in at Gamestop or something and get a different one ^_^

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I felt the same way in the beginning, but the more I played it the more I got into it. You should keep playing.

It gets good really quickly, trust me :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    So I bought Pokemon Black a few weeks ago but I can not seem to get into it. I've played it a few times but I just can't seem to play even one hour of it. Does anyone else have this problem?

Well we already have a thread kinda similar to this, which also discusses how easy it is to really get "into" the games, so I merged the two~

Years
    While I plsyed through it it was fun, i enjoyed it alot. Bur after the game i just kinda burned out, no secret bases, no good pokemon contest thing, got boring.

Back