• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Immigration Crisis: Protesters Block Buses Carrying Migrants to California

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
  • Excerpts from the CNN Article:

(CNN) -- A wall of angry protesters blocked three buses of undocumented immigrants in Southern California, forcing them to turn around -- but with no clear final destination.

The immigrants had traveled from South Texas to San Diego and were on their way to be processed at the Murrieta Border Patrol station when the standoff took place Tuesday.

Protesters chanting "USA!" "Impeach Obama!" and "Deport! Deport!" blocked their route. A heated yelling match ensued between the demonstrators and a group of counterprotesters.

The U.S. government is struggling to process and accommodate an influx of undocumented immigrants, and specifically a spike in immigrant children. The government doesn't have enough beds, food or sanitary facilities.

Authorities estimate 60,000 to 80,000 children without parents will cross the border this year in what the White House has called an "immediate humanitarian crisis."

"Please remember these are human beings that are fleeing the violence in their home countries," Long said. "The problem is that they need to come into this country the legal way."

"I just wish America would be America again because it's not, and it's not just pointed to the Hispanics," Meeks said. "Everybody needs to go through the legal ways."

Link

What is your take on the growing immigration crisis plaguing the United States? It sure has sparked a heated debate both morally and politically. Some argue that those who decide to "trespass" into the country should be deemed as criminals and should be sent back to their homeland. Others argue that Americans should receive these people with open arms, as this country was founded upon immigrants looking to better their lives for themselves and their families. Also, do you think this is a Hispanic-only issue? As the article states, would someone from Canada, for example, be treated the same if they decided to migrate to the United States illegally?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't really know. I don't live near there so I can't really understand the impact of that issue as much as those who do. I've always felt that immigration should be equal for everyone and nobody should pick favourites, and should be evenly regulated, but I've never really solidified whether or not we should just open the floodgates or not. I think that this is a much more complicated issue than just what appears in America, and perhaps lampooning the reason why these people are immigrating in the first place would be more effective. Unfortunately, that's much easier said than done.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Sneaking in and risking being deported is still a better option than staying in their home countries. Deporting all these people trying to escape war-torn, impoverished nations will not solve any problems; it's the viewpoint of an isolationist America, which is pretty funny. When we're looking to meddle in other countries by invading them, these protesters are most likely all for it, but when we're looking to meddle in other countries by helping their residents find a new life quickly away from war and poverty, they're all "AMERICA HAS BORDERS KEEP EVERYONE OUT!"

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • Ideally I would want everyone to be able to immigrate to wherever they want. Why should some people be allowed to get a better life and others not? Restrictive immigration policies exist purely to benefit the people who have a good life already, to protect them from immigrants taking their jobs. I think that severely restricting immigration is a morally wrong thing to do.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • We as a country should be welcoming to all immigrants and refugees. These protestors are bloodthirsty, bigoted human trash who support the mindless killing of foreigners via drone strikes and invasions, but don't want to actually help people by giving them homes away from war-torn, impoverished nations where their lives are at risk every second of the day.

Yet I'm sure if you asked any one of these pseudo-fascists, they would scream and shout about how much they support the Bible. Really? The same book where a guy named Jesus spoke of loving your enemies, being peaceful, and treating others as you would want to be treated? These "Christians" should just admit that they're just Jews, because they obviously have no idea what the New Testament says. I'm no Christian, but I'm pretty sure Jesus would be for immigration and against war. Not to mention for public healthcare and against capitalism.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    this issue is very complicating. there has to be limit at some point. Honestly, i think u.s. should send those children back to their countries. U.S has to send a message that children is no exception. Imagine, would you like your hospital and school to be full of people.
    Life is not fair....

Back