• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Importing Japanese Boxes and 1st Edition info.

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
Years
  • I'm quite interested in buying a box of Psycho Drive, Hail Blizzard and Dark Rush from an eBay seller, all of which are 1st Edition.

The price is just about £35/36 per box, with free shipping or the option for faster shipping at around £7.

However the seller clearly states...

"International Buyers - Please Note:
    ・Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
    ・Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.
    ・These charges are normally collected by the delivering freight (shipping) company or when you pick the item up - do not confuse them for additional shipping charges.
    ・We do not mark merchandise values below value or mark items as "gifts" - US and International government regulations prohibit such behavior."

I've never imported anything like this before so I'm not quite sure what they mean. If I bought them, would I have to give the courier the additional money there and then at the door when they've delivered it?

Also, how do you know if the cards are 1st Edition? In the (old) English versions I know they had it in the middle, left side. What's the indication in these new Japanese sets?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Semi.

Years
  • There is technically no "first edition" of any Japanese cards, as far as I am aware, and every English card printed by Nintendo (meaning every set that has come after the Legendary Collection was released) does not have a first edition designation for any set anymore. They probably use "first edition" to pop up in more search results on eBay.

What they mean sounds exactly like what they said in bulletpoint three: The courier will request payment for the import fees and taxes when the item is delivered or picked up.

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
    Years
  • The first edition stamp on a Japanese card is on the bottom left corner of the card.

There is technically no "first edition" of any Japanese cards, as far as I am aware, and every English card printed by Nintendo (meaning every set that has come after the Legendary Collection was released) does not have a first edition designation for any set anymore. They probably use "first edition" to pop up in more search results on eBay.

Actually, the Japanese started using first edition almost immediately after WotC stopped using it.

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
  • Thanks for your replies.

Yeah I noticed that last night when examining a Japanese Groudon EX.

I was going to buy a couple boxes for £35ea from a Japanese eBay seller but I think the hassle of duty/VAT tax plus handling fees and a long waiting time doesn't seem worth it. Especially now I've found a UK seller who sells £50 a box (including delivery). I may haggle for £45 per though if I buy a few of them.

I'm now considering which boxes to get! As I have a complete set of Next Destinies (minus full arts and shiny cards) and with the arrival of Dark Explorers that covers the Japanese equivalents (Psycho Drive, Hail Blizzard and Dark Rush). So I'm thinking of the Dragon Blast/Blade ones. More so Blade simply for Rayquaza. Beast Pokemon!

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Import duties strike at random. I've personally never been hit by it, probably because I don't buy anything in huge boxes or of very large value, so it's pretty likely you won't have to pay them if you're just getting a few booster boxes, they are pretty small.

As for 1st editions, English cards lost their 1st edition print runs when Nintendo took control from Wizards of the Coast. We only got up to Neo Destiny, but Japanese 1st editions started at the VS set, the same set that marked the end of WotC.

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
  • My friend bought a few boxes from the same seller I've just bought from and I don't think he had any extra costs incurred. So I've gone and bought some myself! Bought two Dragon Blades and one Dragon Blast - about £100 worth. As long as I get my Rayquaza I'll be happy!

Thank you for your responses.

Back