• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Improve your Battling: Replay Critique Revived

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Credits to Anti who was the creator of this thread originally! I've just decided to take over it.

Anywho, to those who don't know what this thread is about, the goal of this thread is to improve your battle execution. While you may have a decent or solid team at your hands, the next step that separates a good player, from a great player, is how they execute the place style of said team.

So here, all you need to do is post a replay of yours where you feel like you could have played better. Coming from a loss, could there have something that you could of done that would of secured you the win, but you weren't sure how? Perhaps you want to learn why a battle was one-sided against your favor? That sort of thing!

I will help you improve your overall gameplay, but if anyone wants to chip in, you're more than free to do so! Now, feel free to post away. c:

Anti

return of the king
    Years

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Figure I might as well make use of this thread again.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-306651133

I mean I won, but probably could've done better than that, y'know?

btw the Toxicroak/Mega Altaria/Reuniclus bit is just something I pulled from here

I think you played pretty well but your opponent was making some silly lil'blunders..

I think your only major mistake in that match was staying in with Mega-Altaria to Roost while he had a Sylveon. Maaaaybe could of had a much better time against his Skarmory, having Fire Blast and all. (unless he decides to go for a Roosting-stall play, but that still left him with very little options in the end).

Anyway, M-Altaria against Sylveon, even if you were expecting Heal Bell, it still waaaaas pretty risky and he had nothing much to lose, going for a Hyper Voice. If that was the case, just remember to weigh in risk vs. reward.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    vs Bot

vs Dark Azelf

Figured I'd give you two vastly different battles for comparison.

I'll give you my impressions: vs Bot, well.. it's the bot, but yeah. :D

I'd say you did pretty well exploiting it's habits and what not, but, just a small thing I'd recommend, against a Volt-Turn team, I'd be best to set up rocks right away, and then reveal your hand to deal with in-coming bulky water pokemon like Rotom-W. Gives them more pressure earlier than later!

vs. Dark Azelf, kinda straight forward, I'd say the general rule of thumb battling against a Mega-Sableye is to not go for any status or residual field damage moves until you find a good way to neutralize it, or know for sure they wouldn't risk switching in to it. (or by the off chance on having a Mold Breaker user that knows Stealth Rock).

One turn in particular you did was to go for Toxic against Zapdos, which you already knew his Chansey had Heal Bell, thus leaving you open to his Dugtrio. I'd say, it'd be much safer to go for Lava Plume. Better in that regard because for one, even if he stayed in, he still ran the risk of a burn and you could maybe predict an incoming switch or a roost from there. Or maybe try to burn an incoming pokemon. Either or.

Well, that's how I see it; maybe someone else thinks the same way, but, yeah, happy to be some of assistance!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-306834834

Was doing so well until the very end. What do you guys think I should have switched in on his Latios?

Scizor from the get-go was your best bet, because judging from his team, he didn't really need HP Fire on his Latias since he had a Charizard and what I assume to be a Serperior having HP Fire (because otherwise, why would it need ground when he has Azumarill and Lando for Heatran, or rock for Charizard-Y when he has a Latias for a check? Seems redundant to me).

Anyway, yeah, I guess you were sorta tilting towards the end there and not doing the best of options (ie, you could of just finished off his Azumarill, and you didn't need to keep U-turning with Scizor when you could of just Bullet Punched for a guaranteed KO or 2HKO on something coming in). I'd say just take your time next time. Especially during mid-game which is where you start to figure out your opponent's play style. Remember to weigh in risk vs. reward, and you'll do fine next time!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokecommunity-ou-200219

made a **** team (w/ druddigon lol) vs dark azelf, probably won with luck but w/e

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokecommunity-ou-197754

another match vs elf

Not much to say about both matches, I mean... both of you played good, and I believe you said your Infernape had Mach bunch so, the burn on Dugtrio didn't matter too much? But yeah.

PS. Mega Pidgeot has No Guard, so. Don't worry about missing Hurricanes.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Can I get a little bit of input on that battle as well? Because I know I made a ton of stupid plays.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    ^Really I should be the one asking what I could've done better there

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokecommunity-ou-204568

This was really bad. I know I was walled by that Cresselia, but once I realized I was walled I sorta flailed around in search of the best course of action, and I may have made a few poor decisions as a result. Also, there might be some other factors that walled me, Cresselia being the most obvious, but was there more to it than that...?

Back