• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script: Improved Item Text [v20.1] [DEPRECATED]

Years
    • Seen today
    NOTICE:
    This plugin is now deprecated, and no longer supported. As of Essentials v21, the features of this plugin are now included by default, and thus this plugin no longer has any use in the newest versions. I will leave the download link and installation instructions for this version below for the time being for those who are still using v20, but I may remove this at a later date.

Improved Item Text for v20.1
    A mod that updates the text display of certain items to be in line with the modern series.
    Improved Item Text [v20.1] [DEPRECATED]
    Improved Item Text [v20.1] [DEPRECATED]

Overview
    Have you ever noticed in the most recent generation of Pokemon games, that the text displayed for certain items are more complex when referenced in dialogue? For example, in older generations, if you find a Honey item in the overworld, the game would say "You found a Honey!". However, in the modern games, it'll say something that makes more grammatical sense, such as "You found a jar of Honey!". Not every item does this, only ones that don't make sense when referenced without a proper container or "portion" size. For example:

"a bag of Soft Sand"
    "a sprig of Jolly Mint"
    "a serving of Leftovers"
    "a bottle of Fresh Water"
    "a pair of Wise Glasses"
    ...etc, etc.

Certain items have these sorts of "portions", container, or some form of allotment size that makes more grammatical sense when displayed in dialogue, shops, and messages. Well, this plugin modifies Essentials by updating all of the relevant items in the game so that they will display in this way as they do in the modern Pokemon games. Every item up to Gen 9 is included here. However, this excludes items that aren't relevant to Essentials such as curry ingredients (Gen 8 Camping), sandwich ingredients (Gen 9 Picnics), Pokemon materials (Gen 9 TM Crafting), and various one-off Key Items that don't play a role in Essentials (Gold Teeth, Roller Skates, etc.). Besides those, however, all the core items up to Gen 9 have been accounted for.

If your game isn't using Gen 9 items, or you have removed some items from you game, don't worry, this plugin will just ignore applying these changes to any items if they don't already exist in your game. If you would like to add this feature to your own custom items that may require it, you simply need to add the PortionName and PortionNamePlural properties to your item's PBS data. Your game will then auto-compile these changes when you load up in Debug mode. Here's an example of what the Charcoal item looks like after installing this plugin, to act as a guide if you're confused:

Spoiler:

Plugin Features
    • Updates item text for all relevant items to display the appropriate "portions" in dialogue, to match the standards of the modern series.
    • Modifies data for all official items up to Gen 9 to meet these new standards, as well as custom items exclusively added by any of my plugins such as ZUD.
    • Uses Essentials Deluxe to auto-compile changes to PBS data, so installation is a quick and painless process.
    • Safe and easy removal if you no longer desire the plugin's features.
    • Full compatibility with all of my other plugins, as they have all been updated to now use this style of item text display as the standard if this plugin is installed.

-DOWNLOAD LINK-

Installation
    Spoiler:

Changelog (v1.0.2 FINAL VERSION)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.1)

• Fixed several compatibility issues with the (broken link removed) plugin.

Days
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    So, I found an error with the script. This happens even on a new project of Pokémon Essentials 20.1 without any other modification except the Hotfixes for 20.1 1.0.7, Essentials Deluxe 1.2.7 (and 1.2.6 when first encountered) and Improved Item Text 1.0.1.
    It happens when I try to use an object from the bag.

The error that pop ups:

[Pokémon Essentials version 20.1]
    [v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.7]

Exception: NoMethodError
    Message: undefined method `starts_with_vowel?' for nil:NilClass

Backtrace:
    [Improved Item Text] [001] Messages.rb:235:in `pbUseItemMessage'
    250:Item_Effects:120:in `pbRepel'
    250:Item_Effects:126:in `block in <main>'
    035:Event_Handlers:227:in `trigger'
    249:Item_Utilities:61:in `triggerUseFromBag'
    [Improved Item Text] [001] Messages.rb:174:in `pbUseItem'
    [Improved Item Text] [002] UI Bag.rb:44:in `block in pbStartScreen'
    [Improved Item Text] [002] UI Bag.rb:9:in `loop'
    [Improved Item Text] [002] UI Bag.rb:9:in `pbStartScreen'
    279:UI_PauseMenu:196:in `block (2 levels) in <main>'

Years
    • Seen today
    Minor Update (v1.0.2)

• Fixed an error that would cause a crash upon using certain items from the bag.

Days
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Tough that I said something...
    Anyway.
    It works great! Definitely putting it back again on my project. Thank you!

Years
    • Seen today
    ATTENTION! Final Version!
    With the release of Essentials v21, the current version of this plugin (v1.0.2) will be the final version of Improved Item Text for v20.1. Going forward I will instead be fully focused on v21, so I will no longer be updating or supporting this plugin.

Unlike my other plugins, I do not intend on updating this plugin to v21. This is because all of the features included in this plugin are already found in v21 by default. So I will be abandoning this plugin entirely. I'll keep this up for those who still wish to use v20.1, however. But note that this plugin relies on Essentials Deluxe, which I will eventually replace with its v21 successor. I will give fair warning before this happens, so don't panic.

See you all in v21!

Back