• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In a Martial Art?

SpeedXaaa

Uses XD too much...
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    im into MMA. sry if that makes you angry. it can be pretty much any style though. i specialized in more street/boxing style. basically what you see on tv. i dont do kicks mostly because my legs arent flexable and i lose my balance easy. im really good at grappeling though. i cant compete in the local MMA tournaments because im not 18 but i do fight in an underground league. i got 2nd in the last heavy weight tournament. but i lost the title fight:(...but personally i like MMA more than TKD (which i used to practice) because the fights are bloodier. thats why i got into it.
    Lulz, it doesn't make me mad if someone is in the sport and personally enjoys it. I respect everyone's opinion; however, the opinion stated was just my general outlook on the sport itself. In fact, I have a friend who quit our TKD class to join an MMA class because he wanted to actually be muscularly stronger. Despite all of the negative things, from his outlook, to me it seems like a great way to build muscular strength and endurance. =]
    But I'm personally glad that you enjoy it. It's nice to see another point of view despite my own outlook on the sport; it builds more understanding. ^_^b

Well, my school does a short, basic EKP (educational karate program) unit in physical education, but all in all the EKP unit is pretty much crap. Or actually just...really basic, and they do the same thing year after year, to enforce it, I guess. To be honest though, I actually rather like it, seeing as I'm not the most (nor the least) athletic person in the world. I asked my mom about taking a martial art, but she said, "martial arts are for boys," and I was like "?!?!?!?!" >.<
    The heck? Martial arts are not JUST for guys; I highly disagree - I would know by personal experience that a girl can do (and enjoy) a martial just as good, if not better, than a guy. Methinks that she's just trying to create a scapegoat - after all, prices for a MA can be quite high at times. xD;

I did kickboxing when i say did i mean watched the film
    I remember when our instructor had to teach kickboxing due to the leaving of the original instructor. Now that she (the original instructor) is back and all of the schedules have changed since then, I haven't seen much of it anymore. One of my friends tried it for a couple days, then quit because apparently she was "too sore" or something. XD;

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
    Personally, I despise "Americanized Tae Kwon Do" and Shuto Kan karate.

Why? You may ask.

For Tae Kwon Do, if you were to look at the "Amaercanized" and traditional types side by side, they would be EXTREMELY different.

For Shuto Kan, lets see............They don't teach "useful nowadays" stuff, such as how to apply Bunkai(Parts of Kata practised with a partner) to protect yourself in the year 2009(or at least they didn't when I went to Shuto Kan). They advance through belts too quikly(an example of this is when my dad saw somebody who started at the karate school that I went to right before I left there, a couple 2-3 years later, he saw the same guy at a tournament as a black belt)

But, enough of my complaining, personally, I go to Goju-Ryu Karate. Both my dad and I love doing it, and it is literally spread out all over Washington State(where I used to live), but it is still a small style.

P.S. Sorry for ranting like that, I was just saying my personal opinion, I am truly sorry if I offended anybody here

Years
    Missingno, I agree with the comment regarding fast grades. Heck, I even feel that my style does grades a bit fast, and I'm a 1st Dun Black Belt after 6 1/2 years.

A major problem is that most new age styles focus on the fighting, and ignore the self-discipline and other sides of it.

Regardless, I enjoy it. It keeps me fit and gives me something to stick to. Which is great for a un-motivated person like me...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years

Why? You may ask.

For Tae Kwon Do, if you were to look at the "Amaercanized" and traditional types side by side, they would be EXTREMELY different.

For Shuto Kan, lets see............They don't teach "useful nowadays" stuff, such as how to apply Bunkai(Parts of Kata practised with a partner) to protect yourself in the year 2009(or at least they didn't when I went to Shuto Kan). They advance through belts too quikly(an example of this is when my dad saw somebody who started at the karate school that I went to right before I left there, a couple 2-3 years later, he saw the same guy at a tournament as a black belt)

But, enough of my complaining, personally, I go to Goju-Ryu Karate. Both my dad and I love doing it, and it is literally spread out all over Washington State(where I used to live), but it is still a small style.

P.S. Sorry for ranting like that, I was just saying my personal opinion, I am truly sorry if I offended anybody here
    Late save there. =P As a person doing Shoto-Kan karate though...well, karate certainly does differ noticeably from style to style in general, but don't forget it can differ from club to club as well - in my one Bunkai can be seen (although admittedly my dad and I (and a few more) probably look into it more than many others). I find the history and application of karate to be quite interesting, actually, and its good to see what the moves behind karate can actually mean. Also, belt systems definitely vary from club to club. =) (BTW, i'm doing karate in Australia; apparently our club is set up different to some clubs in America, according to a sensei here who went there for a bit. But meh.)

IIRC... Goju-Ryu is a more physically-focused style, right? More on the self defence and conditioning and so on... correct me if I'm wrong though. Where I live my karate school (Shoto-Kan style) is the main one around and simply the one we choose and stayed with for some years now. When I began karate though before we moved, I did 2 years of the Goshin Ryu style. And then I went back to white belt upon changing schools. XD

I'd agree that people grading may occur too fast... of course though, some people get there faster than others. Guess it depends really if the club gives the belt to someone who is good enough to achieve a Black Belt, I suppose. Took me when I started with my new club 5 years to reach Shodan Ho. But karate isn't just all on the fitness aspect, certainly. There are many other benefits, and things to consider as well on grading. Hurrah for that!

On that subject, currently we have a set of 'black belt candidates' - people who are going for their black belt soon. This happens every half a year here - what happens is that we have an initial test - if they pass that, they then go on a 'prep cycle' for 1-2 months - basically getting them ready. During and at the end of that, they have a final pre-test, and then shortly after that they have their black belt test. The first part is to basically limit it to people who we feel are ready to go for their black belt, although it doesn't that they will pass. All of the black belts in our club have our say on each person and whether they should go or not, based their attitude, technique, fitness, etc, etc during that period of time.

The test itself is basically a full weekend of karate - testing them on anything and everything, really. I did it last time for by 3rd Dan... on the first day we did karate on and off (along with fitness tests and so forth) from 1 pm Friday to 3am Saturday morning. Man, that was tiring stuff...worth it though. =D

I know however places during which the black belt test takes about 5 minutes in total - and I suppose this works just as well - as someone to do a simple kata, for instance, and you would probably tell how good they are at karate.

Might be a topic, actually - how is the black belt testing done in your club, whatever martial art you do?

SpeedXaaa

Uses XD too much...
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 10, 2016
    I'm a white belt in TaeKwonDo.
    I just did my first class today actually haha.
    I love it so far.
    That's great! Yeah, one of my friends from school also just signed up, and he really seems to like it so far.

Why? You may ask.

Yeah, I'd personally hate an Amaricanized MA, too, but that's why I, as long as many others, I'm sure, don't take it. My instructor always tells us how "watered-down" TKD is no good... and how we all need to keep the "toughness" of the traditional sport.

But, yeah. Both you and Archer I agree with; it focuses on the physical benefits only, half of the time. And they don't push you to improve, they tell you, "Oh, that's good enough." When nothing is "good enough," ever.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    But, yeah. Both you and Archer I agree with; it focuses on the physical benefits only, half of the time. And they don't push you to improve, they tell you, "Oh, that's good enough." When nothing is "good enough," ever.
    =/ That doesn't sound all that great if they do that... 'that's good enough' isn't a term I hear, certainly. One should, I guess, strive for perfection in the MA they, even if perfection is obviously an unreachable goal. Keep on aiming to improve by doing your best and all.

Back