• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In the midnight hour, she cries because she's sad and alone and just a little pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I'm so completely different from the rest of my family. I think I stick out like a sore thumb to most people. :/

So, like, nobody cares about my injured finger? That was a cry for attention, you guys are failing spectacularly.
    Thank you! Was that really so hard guys? Slendy knows what's up.

ily Andy <3

Years
    I'm so completely different from the rest of my family. I think I stick out like a sore thumb to most people. :/

Yeah this reminds me when I went to mainstream primary schools and I had no choice but to end up in their special needs class because they discovered I was autistic. Social skills in real life have never been kind to me since leaving high school in 2010.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    Yeah this reminds me when I went to mainstream primary schools and I had no choice but to end up in their special needs class because they discovered I was autistic. Social skills in real life have never been kind to me since leaving high school in 2010.

I've seen the kids in the special needs classes and minor autism is no need for special classes.

Alexander Nicholi

Years

From what I hear socializing in autistic males is very behind in childhood but irons itself out when men get in their twenties. For female autistics, it's the opposite: Their whole childhood they have the maturity of a girl in their young twenties and it kind of stays that way. :/

Reactions: Goo
    Years
    From what I hear socializing in autistic males is very behind in childhood but irons itself out when men get in their twenties. For female autistics, it's the opposite: Their whole childhood they have the maturity of a girl in their young twenties and it kind of stays that way. :/

Wow interesting analysis... no wonder I struggled to make real life friends lately.

Years
    This is why I always say that females are generally more gentle and kindhearted than males. Not that i'm trying to be sexist or anything, but I have a tendency to think that way in real life and on the internet, also.

I too have autism and most of the real life friends i've had were in my earlier years, in middle and high school. Nowadays in college, most people are busy or concerned with their own problems.

Years
    I'm not sure how it feels to be autistic (because I'm not), but people in the past have called me autistic because I wasn't social, and this was back in middle school. Of course, that changed in high school when I overcame shyness and socialized a lot more.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I seconded Zach. Back then I was mistaken to be autism because I was becoming shy in a few years back, but I started to overcome my shyness little by little.

Years
    This is why I always say that females are generally more gentle and kindhearted than males. Not that i'm trying to be sexist or anything, but I have a tendency to think that way in real life and on the internet, also.

I too have autism and most of the real life friends i've had were in my earlier years, in middle and high school. Nowadays in college, most people are busy or concerned with their own problems.

I was always wondering why we got on so well... now I know why, and also why you must have been looking up to me as a member. I must have that "heartwarming" factor or something.

Years
    Unfortunately the word "autism" to many people have been reduced to a buzzword to refer to someone that they personally find out of ordinary (even in the slightest) or don't like in any way.

Last edited:

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    That's sad to hear, and that was one of the reason why I left a certain youth group some years ago. But I heard that autism is special too in some way, so being autism doesn't mean that you're not good at all.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    I think Spectrum Disorder (of which I assume is what we're actually talking about), is made up of a double-spectrum that acts as a cost-benefit weight for the disorder. Oddly, low-functioning autistics are included in the spectrum, but aren't as highlighted. I'll explain.

Essentially, what I see is two different spectrums—gradients, if you will: One is the degree in which the person's intelligence and other factors are displayed, and a second in which the inhibiting factors are grouped into a generalized array of sub-spectra. I'll use myself as an example: For me, my intelligence quotient was systematically graded at 128 at 8 years old; along with this I do have a leniency for self-absorptism and often go out of my way to further it. Positive-negative, right? As for the second spectrum I find myself largely neutral to it; when I was younger I would often have temper tantrums and would always be breaking the rules where I could (this has since passed). All of that has balanced itself to pretty much zero, and the balance in my spectrum disorder is found in the positive-negatives mentioned earlier along with some added traits that are simply in my personality.

For others, the case may be where they have an above-average rather than super-high IQ, and exhibit less self-serving behaviors and actions. I imagine that possibly the second array may be independently balanced from the first, but I'm not entirely sure. In low-functioning autistics (the mute ones and such), their brainpower is often off-the charts but is counter-acted by the fact that they have next to zero socialization skills. Then again, they may possibly on a different sub-spectrum that functions in a similar fashion as the aforementioned high-functioning subspectrum, and I realized that this is the general medical consensus.

To get a picture of the levels of spectrums, here.

Neuro-typicals
    > [insert standard human categorization hooplah here]
    Neuro-atypicals
    > Low-functioning
    >> polar low-functioning
    >> nonpolar high-functioning
    > High-functioning
    >> polar high-functioning
    >> nonpolar high-functioning

Years
    That's sad to hear, and that was one of the reason why I left a certain youth group some years ago. But I heard that autism is special too in some way, so being autism doesn't mean that you're not good at all.

I've had experiences with autistic individuals back in middle school and they were brilliant, probably not overall, but they were rather intelligent in certain fields; their brain doesn't process normally, but they have their own way of making things work. Excuse me if that sounds in any way offensive to anyone. Not entirely sure if this is on the opposite spectrum to autism, but I was deemed gifted back in elementary school and that in itself created problems for me to become socially accepted by those who were not. I remember distinctly this one instance where someone was friends with me, until they learned that I was gifted; completely shunned from then on.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    I've had experiences with autistic individuals back in middle school and they were brilliant, probably not overall, but they were rather intelligent in certain fields; their brain doesn't process normally, but they have their own way of making things work. Excuse me if that sounds in any way offensive to anyone.

Oh my God, this reminds me of when my friend Devan was writing an essay in Lit and Comp on Autism, since her brother is autistic XD. I never read the essay myself, but at one point she came to me to ask how to word "autism" into the paper. I just told her straight up not to worry about soft language, and to put it in a blunt but polite manner. Basically that means call us Autistics—it's what we are. It's derogatory to just generalize us as "cripples" (and some would even argue with that), but it's also stupid to call us neuro-atypicals in common conversation (in my opinion).

If you really wanna know how I feel about that and other linguistic nuances, watch this:

Years
    Finger cuts are horrid. Especially on pressure points you need to press down on frequently. I had a trainee slam my fingers in the register, and rip the skin off my index finger. I wanted to slap the sense they lost back into them

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back